Moors

Just watching a documentary about the Moors.

Anyone got any knowledge about these guys? 

They were converted Muslims. So much info on them and so interesting.

Have you watched Rageh Omar's documentary on Muslim Spain? The start talks a bit about the Moors.

I don't know much about them either.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I'll look for the link for Ragah's documentary.

My new favourite historian is called Betthany Hughes. Can watch her documentaries all day. She's done a great one on the Moors but because I have concentration problems, I have to watch it again.

s.b.f wrote:

Awh I thought this was a topic about the Yorkshire Moors and it would be a discussion about Wuthering Heights Sad 

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

Rawrrs_isarollingstone wrote:

s.b.f wrote:

Awh I thought this was a topic about the Yorkshire Moors and it would be a discussion about Wuthering Heights Sad 

Since I like fields and I like Wuthering Heights and because my title is not specific to what it was really about, why don't you make a sub topic IN this topic for people to discuss the woes of Catherine and Heathcliffe. Who I thought were freaks for years. 

s.b.f wrote:

Since I like fields and I like Wuthering Heights and because my title is not specific to what it was really about, why don't you make a sub topic IN this topic for people to discuss the woes of Catherine and Heathcliffe. Who I thought were freaks for years. 

Okay well basically the first time I read it, I was about 12/13 and I thought it was really beautiful and I wanted a love story like theirs. 

The next time I read it was in A-Level English, after which I thought he was a nutcase, and if I had someone like that bugging me, I'd flee the country. But I still loved the passion and the slightly sinister undertones of some things. I also love how there was this strong rugged guy and he had a son who was frail and sickly- Linton was my favourite character. 

Who was yours?

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

s.b.f wrote:

Okay well basically the first time I read it, I was about 12/13 and I thought it was really beautiful and I wanted a love story like theirs. 

The next time I read it was in A-Level English, after which I thought he was a nutcase, and if I had someone like that bugging me, I'd flee the country. But I still loved the passion and the slightly sinister undertones of some things. I also love how there was this strong rugged guy and he had a son who was frail and sickly- Linton was my favourite character. 

Who was yours?

The first time I read Wuthering Heights, my thoughts were: 'What on earth?' This isn't like Jane Austen romance. So it took me a while.I think I found it too mysterious which was good.

Then in registration once, my tutor said: 'what the f*** is that wuthering heights book supposed to be about? I just read it and thought the author must have been f****** mental. It's so unrealistic.' And this tutor was my favourite I just agreed with everything he said.

Then when I read Wuthering Heights again, I didn't think it was too bad a story. It was romantically mysterious with not a happy ending and so what? It made it different.

I think my favourite character is actually Heathcliffe. Simply because I feel that he has always been the victim of many unfortunate circumstances. The good fortune of a good family taking him in when he was homeless kind of became messy as he grew up.  

s.b.f wrote:

I think my favourite character is actually Heathcliffe. Simply because I feel that he has always been the victim of many unfortunate circumstances. The good fortune of a good family taking him in when he was homeless kind of became messy as he grew up.  

Lol ignoring the slightly sinister way your tutor hypnotised you Blum 3 

Don't you think the fact that them taking him in went awry because suddenly everyone started looking down on him like he owed them all something is kinda depressing? Up to the middle its a half story about a poor child getting lucky (which is the template of many a story) and then it's sort of hammered to pieces? Kinda makes you feel like there's no such thing as a happy ending

Don't you think the fact that them taking him in went awry because suddenly everyone started looking down on him like he owed them all something is kinda depressing?

Yes. I did think it was depressing. I think the whole good intention of bringing the boy to the house to look after him was defeated there and then. Also, the foundation of the whole 'looking down on him' was because Hindley hated him right? Maybe the Father should have been better at spreading his love out to his kids properly. 

Another reason why I liked Heathcliffe. But he turned out to be such a strange man.

Didn't understand Catherine. Struggled with that character so she was difficult to like. What do you think?

Kinda makes you feel like there's no such thing as a happy ending

Thanks for the hope. 

s.b.f wrote:

Don't you think the fact that them taking him in went awry because suddenly everyone started looking down on him like he owed them all something is kinda depressing?

Yes. I did think it was depressing. I think the whole good intention of bringing the boy to the house to look after him was defeated there and then. Also, the foundation of the whole 'looking down on him' was because Hindley hated him right? Maybe the Father should have been better at spreading his love out to his kids properly. 

Another reason why I liked Heathcliffe. But he turned out to be such a strange man.

Didn't understand Catherine. Struggled with that character so she was difficult to like. What do you think?

Kinda makes you feel like there's no such thing as a happy ending

Thanks for the hope. 

Lol, apologies. 

Yeah thats the other thing was the lack of communication. At some points, it just seemed like someone else should have been telling off somebody else for being mistaken or for being a douche. I think most of the time that person should have been Nelly, but I guess it just wasn't her place to. 

Lol, apologies. 

Yeah thats the other thing was the lack of communication. At some points, it just seemed like someone else should have been telling off somebody else for being mistaken or for being a douche. I think most of the time that person should have been Nelly, but I guess it just wasn't her place to. 

Sorry...I'm not following you there...

s.b.f wrote:

Lol, apologies. 

Basically Hindley needed telling off by his dad. They should have realised Heathcliff would get treated badly and taken precautions. 

Oh btw, COULD NOT STAND CATHY (the older one, not her daughter). I thought she was spoilt and arrogant and selfish. I found her mad irritating.

s.b.f wrote:

Lol, apologies. 

Basically Hindley needed telling off by his dad. They should have realised Heathcliff would get treated badly and taken precautions. 

Oh btw, COULD NOT STAND CATHY (the older one, not her daughter). I thought she was spoilt and arrogant and selfish. I found her mad irritating.

Didn't you somewhere sympathise with Hindley? As the only son and eldest, he did kind of get pushed out of the scene. Isn't that realistic? And then he got sent to a boarding school or something.

And yeah, I felt the same about Cathy. I hated her too. And then I hated the old Heathcliffe. How come turned out to be so twisted.

s.b.f wrote:

Didn't you somewhere sympathise with Hindley? As the only son and eldest, he did kind of get pushed out of the scene. Isn't that realistic? And then he got sent to a boarding school or something.

And yeah, I felt the same about Cathy. I hated her too. And then I hated the old Heathcliffe. How come turned out to be so twisted.

Nope I thought he was a brat. He got all he wanted, its not like Heathcliffe took his place. And even if he did feel a bit overshadowed, thats still not a reason to turn your adopted brother into your slave who you beat! 

I quite liked the old Heathcliffe. The way he turned it around and got his own back on the now shrivelled up old Hindley. 

s.b.f wrote:

Nope I thought he was a brat. He got all he wanted, its not like Heathcliffe took his place. And even if he did feel a bit overshadowed, thats still not a reason to turn your adopted brother into your slave who you beat! 

I quite liked the old Heathcliffe. The way he turned it around and got his own back on the now shrivelled up old Hindley. 

Oh! No I didn't like Hindley when he made Heathcliffe into a slave. Thought that was incredibly brat-tish.

But ... you thought how he treated Isabelle was okay? just so that he could get his revenge on her dad?

You know ples the Moors were fantastic and they ruled Spain for 700 years- I luv them.  you really must go and study them your lives will be enriched