MAKE BRADFORD BRITISH

Make Bradford British, Channel 4, preview
Channel 4's latest social experiment attempts to answer what it means to be British, says Andrew Marszal

‘When’s the last time you’ve come out in a miniskirt and a low-cut top?” asks a large, menacing man in a bomber jacket, sipping on his pint in a Bradford inner-city pub. It’s benefits day, and the Boy and Barrel is crowded with regulars. The girl he’s talking to says that she simply doesn’t want to. “That’s wrong that… Have you even tried a miniskirt?” Another patron chimes in: “I think you’d look bloody lovely in a miniskirt.” A woman at the bar says: “If you want to be here, dress like us.”

The target of this encounter, captured in Channel 4’s two-part series Make Bradford British, is Sabbiyah, a 23-year-old British Muslim, wearing traditional Asian dress. The encounter ends with the leering inquisitor stroking the girl’s leg, before leaving her to sob in the corner. I ask her later what she felt during the ordeal: “I think it was disgust, to be honest. I was disgusted that I was made to feel like absolute s---.”

“It’s the first time in my life I didn’t feel like I belonged in Bradford,” she says. “And at the same time I felt so belittled. It was like you’ve got to wear a miniskirt before you’re recognised as anything other than a foreigner.”

Though presumably few would subscribe to that particular definition, what it means to be British is a question that has long confounded politicians, academics and, more recently, Scots, so we perhaps shouldn’t expect too much by way of authoritative closure on the matter from a Channel 4 reality show. But Make Bradford British, which begins on Thursday, has a laudable go at elucidating some of the issues. The programme asks whether a diverse group of Bradfordians, who have all failed the Government’s notoriously difficult “Citizenship Test”, and who normally live in wary isolation across one of Britain’s most segregated cities, can put their racial prejudices aside if forced to meaningfully interact with one another.

It begins by putting the eight participants into a house together where their every argument is recorded on camera – think Big Brother with a zany new social engineering makeover. But it really gets going in the second episode, which hijacks another Channel 4 format as the participants are grouped into pairs who take turns living in each other’s homes, Wife Swap-style. Sabbiyah’s partner is the pub’s black landlady Audrey, who struggles to curb her use of terms such as “paki” and “nigger”, in which she doesn’t seem to see anything wrong, despite having been a victim of racism herself.

Conservative Muslim patriarch Mohammed is put together with white 66-year-old feminist Maura in perhaps the most feisty combination. Arguments escalate after Maura asks Mohammed to lay the table, and in the end he storms off the show. “It was quite difficult being in that house,” she tells me after filming has ended. “His wife spends most of her day in the basement kitchen and doesn’t speak any English. He might feel fully integrated into Britain, but she certainly isn’t.”

Elsewhere, black former racist attack victim Desmond must learn to get along with Union Jack-wielding ex-cop Jens – whose philosophy on bigotry extends to, “If I really thought you were a black bastard, would I say it?”. And finally there’s white manual labourer Damon, who finds himself joining devout Muslim Rashid on his five daily mosque visits. Damon is moved and surprised by the warm welcome he gets inside the mosque. “Mosques and that, f--- it, I thought they were like terrorist centres,” he tells a group of bewildered worshippers afterwards.

The experiment is orchestrated by “diversity experts” Taiba Yasseen and Laurie Trott, who are rather irritatingly satisfied with their conclusion that being British is all about “shared values”. Though we never learn exactly what these might be, the programme’s most valuable contribution is to show that, much as we may all enjoy a moan about the weather, what we have in common counts for nothing if people are too distrustful to talk to one another in the first place. It is genuinely fascinating to watch as the initially standoffish participants begin to bond.

Of course, there’s only so far a reality show can go. Aren’t there people out there who simply can’t see past their prejudices? For Sabbiyah, her disturbing pub experience was the first time she’d ever experienced such overt racism. She tells me how she had deliberately set out to highlight the misconceptions held about her faith, particularly its female members: “In a funny way I provoked that attack – I went into that pub wearing my traditional clothing, because I wanted to see the reaction.”

Despite the way it turned out, she’s adamant that her approach was the right one. “I know why I did it – I wanted to show that we’re normal, we’ve got the same concerns as anyone else. Any criticism that I get makes me more defiant.” And if we’re looking for typically British values, a stiff upper lip can’t be a bad place to start.

'Make Bradford British' begins on Thursday 1 March at 9.00pm on Channel 4

i saw it online just now. i think its sensationalist, but also shows that racism is still rife. i l always thought the same as the girl in the doc, we may say and feel we are british citizens but many white people wont accept us not really because of religion but colour. interestingly the black guy(forgotten names), felt the same way.

rashid is the most likeable character there i can relate to him a lot. apparently this is part 1, next part preview muslim girl behind the bar. i agree with her. saying sometimes yo have to compromise with non muslims so they understand you, but should you compromise your core beliefs i.e she shouldnt be serving alcohol. call me holier than thou but i dont like the image of a hijabi doing that, unfortunately i dont think the punters will treat her well.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

I didn't get to watch it properly, but from what I did watch I liked the guy with the beard. Although I think he should've listened when the rest asked him to prayed at home once or twice out of the 5x. It would show he's making an effort and not being so alienating - if that's the right word. But then I also respect him for being strong in his faith and getting that extra reward. Didn't like the hijabi :s and no I do not think she should've compromised her beliefs to show she is British. We're meant to integrate not assimilate, right?!

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

salaam

very good doc if u ask me... its spot on. ppl from different races/religions/cultures in the uk live in their own seperate communities. There is no integration which breeds hatred and suspicion.
I think nowadays its only at work places and university that you will mix and see/speak to people from all backgrounds...

I didn't like that Rashid to start off...I thought oh no here we go again... but then he saw sense and at the end of the programme he made sense and other non Muslims could relate to him.
The hijabi at this time was great...she said God don't need your prayers if you don't know how to deal with people. Under the circumstance he should have read at the house.. cos he was there for a reson and by him disappearing for a few hours it defeated the purpose of the exercise. That compromise from his side got everyone to see 'the Muslim' in a very positive way.

The hijabi i thought overall in the programme was very good, didnt come across as extreme, radical, zealot but likeable, people could relate to her, she got people who used racist terminology to question themselves.

The black lady was interesting cos she hated asians but then said she has asian nephew/neices and was ashamed of how she treats 'pakis'.
The old white guy made me laugh, he came out with racist comments but then was shocked when people found it offensive. This is where Rashid was good and made him realise people make mistakes and to learn from them.

So overall very good watch... many people from my workplace watched it and they all had good words to say.

watched it on 4OD after hearing alot of discussions and debates about the programme and certain people in it.

i can only talk about my first impression and judge by what is apparent. my views about the show in general are that it's interesting to see how society is outside of the London area where people have less trouble 'integrating' with each others culture. one question that i have to ask though, out of all the Asians in Bradford why are all three of them muslim? isn't there any hindus, sikhs, christians etc. in Bradford or have they just integrated perfectly?

I have to disagree with Ed completely about the main two most talked about characters on the show. I don't think the brother Rashid had any problem getting on with other people, i think it was more that they didn't understand him or where his values lie.

mixing with other cultures and getting along with the community doesn't mean you have to lose your values and who you are. people will always have differences but it's all about accepting the differences, not about compromisation.

In my opinion the sister, Allah knows her intentions, was compromising who she was just to fit in with her surroundings. She shouldn't be just trying to conform to whatever she thinks people will like her to be like. she should like the brother did, show who she is and what Islam is about rather than being defensive and so compromising.

that's what i think more muslims in Britain should be doing, showing them what Islam is about. For example, if somebody's never been to a football game, played the sport or even watched it on TV they wouldn't have a clue what it's about. they'd be like, "no, not interested...don't wanna see a bunch of guys chasing a ball".

these people who haven't seen Islam properly, they don't understand muslims, they shun it because it's alien to them and different. all people need to do to get along in a society is accept each other differences with atleast a basic understanding of it.

I'm gonna end this like the brother Rashid did, my only advice to people is to be themeselves.

BEING A MUSLIM IS WHO YOU ARE

Allah knows best

Lets reunite the ummah under one flag LA ILAHA IL ALLAH MUHAMMADUR RASULULLAH

About the salat issue though, the sister was right in saying Allah doesn't need your salats but that's where it ends full stop. Allah doesn't need anybodys salat, the salat was prescribed for us, it was sent to us as a gift.

Ofcourse though praying salat and then locking yourself away from the dunya is not right. We've all heard about the story of the guy that worshipped Allah alone but never proclaimed the deen to those around him. It goes against Islam.

My point though is that salat is a means of communicating with Allah, recharging your imaan and getting away from the problems of the dunya. Is it wrong for a person to hold on dearly to that, i think Rashid should have explained that to them first but then again he showed them that anyway. Salat in jamaat is an emphasised sunnah, one that we should hold on to dearly but there are times when something else is more beneficial and he showed that althought salat is important to him so is the community around him.

In my opinion the sister needs to gain more knowledge and if i were her i wouldn't be boasting about spending only 5 minutes in salat with my creator.

There's nothing wrong with mxing with non muslims but don't need to give up your values and to me there's no point if it has no benefit. No need to join in with the lads on a Friday night etc.

Lets reunite the ummah under one flag LA ILAHA IL ALLAH MUHAMMADUR RASULULLAH

Foysol89 wrote:

one question that i have to ask though, out of all the Asians in Bradford why are all three of them muslim? isn't there any hindus, sikhs, christians etc. in Bradford or have they just integrated perfectly?

You have made a very good point, maybe they just want to show that Muslims are not integrating as much as others? also the focus seems to be on British Pakistani Muslims, why not other Muslims?

I didn’t like the racist language being used for any of them

Foysol89 wrote:

I have to disagree with Ed completely about the main two most talked about characters on the show. I don't think the brother Rashid had any problem getting on with other people, i think it was more that they didn't understand him or where his values lie.

All Rasheed did was pray all the time

Foysol89 wrote:

mixing with other cultures and getting along with the community doesn't mean you have to lose your values and who you are.

But you have to try and become apart of the community maybe by living in a mixed area or marring outside of your family or if you own a business don't just employ your family or just people of your own background employ people of different backgrounds

Foysol89 wrote:

people will always have differences but it's all about accepting the differences, not about compromisation.

They alos showed a programme called proud and prejudice which showed 2 groups 1 EDL and the other Islam 4 UK, it should that the EDL wanted to kick everyone out or thats what the impression I got and Islam for UK wanted sharia law in every part of the UK, in my view both things are unacceptable and both could never be accepted

Foysol89 wrote:

In my opinion the sister, Allah knows her intentions, was compromising who she was just to fit in with her surroundings.

That's what anyone in a minority would do because they feel uncomfortable- threatened or they dont feel apart of the mainstream society

Foysol89 wrote:

more muslims in Britain should be doing, showing them what Islam is about.

Its very hard for them because Muslims get a lot of bad press for all sorts of reasons child marriages, forced marriages, immigration scams, benefit fraud and terrorism

My English is not very good

i agree with foysol on every point, i wasn't pleased with the hijbis behaviour she was trying too hard to please others snd forgetting who she was in the process just to please others. call me radical but i wouldnt have sat at a table where alcohol was served let alone say cheers and touch cups before eating.

the muslim candidates should have thought about the sins they would have to commit throughout programming, especially if living in a house together. ie eating, segregation in the house i.e women living with non mahram, men being around women unrelated to them. that would have been enough to keep me away from participating,

in all honesty it seems like its going to be a budget version of big brother, and i hate that programme, if it gets any worse after part 2 i wont be watching.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

lollywood u said all rashid was pray well guess what muslims are meant to pray 5 times a day.he shouldn't hve compromised for others. take them to the mosque maybe thy can see wht hppens there. if he knew it would be an issue he should have not participated, but despite all he presented himself the best.

lollywood u said all rashid did was pray well guess what muslims are meant to pray 5 times a day.he shouldn't hve compromised for others. take them to the mosque maybe thy can see wht hppens there. if he knew it would be an issue he should have not participated, but despite all he presented himself the best.

Hajjar wrote:
lollywood u said all rashid was pray well guess what muslims are meant to pray 5 times a day.

It takes over your life

Hajjar wrote:

he shouldn't hve compromised for others.

If he didn’t then they would have had a bad perception about Islam

Hajjar wrote:

take them to the mosque maybe thy can see wht hppens there. if he knew it would be an issue he should have not participated, but despite all he presented himself the best.

[/quote]

Not much goes on in a mosque khutba and then namaz
A fat man with a long beard say stuff in Arabic and we just lift our hands put them next to our ears then we put our hands on our stomach then put them down

Then we bend down and say subhan rabi al azeem what ever that means
then before going into sajda we say sami allah uliman hamida

Then when we go into sajda and say subhan rabi yalala what ever that means

Thats all that happens in a mosque every day 5 times a day

salaam

Please tell me how the hijabi compromised her Islam in anyway in the documentary?

yes in the 2nd part she goes in the pub and works there... yes that is going too far cos if u have to pull a pint to prove you are British then we don't need to be British.

In the part 1 she came across as a normal person, not a religious freak like rashid did to start off with. I alway ssay we should be 'walking, talking adverts for Islam'. she was that in that part 1 doc whilst rashid just segregated himself. Praying at home for all to see would surely have been the best dawah- and when he finally prayed infront of them look at the affect it had on some of them.

ws

@Lollywood..

Err- how offensive can you get! Not all Imaams look like the way you described.. I think you should visit mosques more often.. and Im totally surprised by how much you know ^

Hajjar wrote:
guess what muslims are meant to pray 5 times a day

that is not supposed to turn a home made chicken curry into a takeaway order either.

The problem at the start wasnt that he prayed. It was just offputting that the way he went about it meant that he should have known that he wouldnt be able to engage with the rest of the people there.

Prayer takes 5 minutes.

He cant say that he will make dinner for (I think he said) 7 and then decide all on his own that the next prayer jama'at is at half 7 so he wont go back to the accomodation til way later than he should.

This world is a world in which you have to interact with people and live with them too. It's not solely about the 5 prayers - they must be done but they are short enough to not dominate.

At the same time I am aware that a lot of this could be due to editing - to show more conflict than there is at the start to give some sort of warm and glowing conclusion at the end when the series finishes.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

she doesnt look for conflict!

the closest she would look for is coonfleect. but she doesnt even do that IMO.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Hummus wrote:

Im totally surprised by how much you know ^

Why are you surprised?

lollywood wrote:
Hummus wrote:

Im totally surprised by how much you know ^

Why are you surprised?

Dude, you're crazy

(that's the politest term I can put it)

TheRevivalEditor wrote:
salaam

Please tell me how the hijabi compromised her Islam in anyway in the documentary?

yes in the 2nd part she goes in the pub and works there... yes that is going too far cos if u have to pull a pint to prove you are British then we don't need to be British.

In the part 1 she came across as a normal person, not a religious freak like rashid did to start off with. I alway ssay we should be 'walking, talking adverts for Islam'. she was that in that part 1 doc whilst rashid just segregated himself. Praying at home for all to see would surely have been the best dawah- and when he finally prayed infront of them look at the affect it had on some of them.

ws

Agreed 100% with working in the pub thing. Biggrin

IMO, the overall documentary is pretty good in terms of people getting an insight into other's religion/culture etc.

Rashid makes me laugh, but hey he came across as a great example- especially when he prayed and brought the old woman to tears!

Can't really say much at this point but I think its a great eye opener and is definitely worth the watch..

Wassalam Dirol

All the people being judgemental of the muslim woman for serving alcohol I guess need to rethink their judgementalism as she didnt serve alcohol - she made it clear that she would only serve the soft drinks.

That taxi driver guy totally lost it and left when he was asked by the elderly couple what he would do if his daughter came home with a white guy.

He also didnt like helping around the house, which the elderly woman didnt appreciate.

overall, very interesting.

praying means nothing because you don't make an effort to find out wht ur reading, its ur job to learn that blame no one but ur own ignorance, it wont be an excuse for you on that day.

what does the appearance of a priest have to do with you. hes there to lead the pryers not a gym session.

prayer takes over life? yeah all 10-20 mins of it, quite laughable. ironic the purpose of our life is to worhip allah, thats our main aim being on earth, everything els is second. clearly u dont believe that so ur in the wrong forum.

Hajjar wrote:
clearly u dont believe that so ur in the wrong forum.

He pretends that he was once a Muslim, but I doubt he ever was.

He is here for mischief, but as long as we can answer his questions with good answers, he doesnt cause any damage.

i think the mslim girl shouldn't have gone to the pub, she wasnt strong enuff for the questioning. also when tht filthy guy asked to see her in a mini, then had his hand on her thigh he laughed it off. she should hve told him to remove his hand or it would soon be broken.. that hppened to me at work, enuff to say the guy never came near me again.

the muslim girl should have dealt with audrey not the pub. audrey is so intent on being white and fitting in she doent know wht colour she is. she was not supporting the hijabi, but laughing with those attacking her. thn later on with th hijabi she was making out she was on her side, the classic enemy the quran tells us about hypocrites. . audrey seems a bit stunned when the said overweight dude calls her the n word. but she doesnt hve enuff slf respect or the respect for common decency to kick that man out, instead he
aughs it off then laughs some more @ the hijabi being attacked,. she is a nasty piece of work. the old union jack dude is just ignorant he may change a bit. but audrey is something else she denies her own existance.

my faves are rashid and maura.

My image of Rashid has changed big time from the start of the first episode to the end of the second one.

I didn't like him right at the start, but later he gets better and more relateable.

I thought the documentary was spot on. It really tackled some of the real issues facing us all in the UK today... and for us muslims its something to be aware of and realise integration is a neccesity if we want to be succesful in the UK and not be misunderstood.

Rashid was the star of the show- at the start I didn't like him but gradually he showed the character and behaviour a Muslim should have nowadays. He was practising but at the same time was not preaching and everyone could relate to him.

Sabbiyah I thought overall was good; she was bubbly, good personality, very likeable. Her going to the pub was a task she had to go and was only an experimnent and it highlighted some of the racism and ignorance that exists against Muslims/asians...
I think she was shocked by the behaviour there... and really needed to put her foot down and defend her views/identity/ being British a bit better. But if we were in her shoes how would we have reacted?

Mohammed was a bit emebarrasing. He came across as a backward asian Muslim who only thought housework and household chores are just for women and nothing good in terms of Muslim behaviour/manners or even a personality came through. If you take part in a programme about identity/britishness then you should be prepared to expect questions like that. It was a reasonable question and it deserved a proper answer.

The old english guy made me laugh- he was obsessed with the word black and black people lol But it highlighted when you don't mix with people of different culture or race then you don't know how to treat them, you find it difficult to relate to them and in his case only see the black skin.

Overall I think it has got alot of ppl nationwide talking about identity, integration and what it means to be BRITISH. Hopefully it would have got people to understand Muslims and Islam a bit more and would hav egot rid of some misconceptions. And also hopefully it would educated Muslims that they need to play their role. Be walking, talking adverts for Islam. Integration is necessity in my peersonal opinion. We don't need to bend over backward to get people to like us or proof to people we are British. we need to stick to our teachings and be ourselves. Be proud of being British Muslims and show to the world that Islam is not an obstacle to integration and being good Britsh citizens.

Salaam

Some questions/issues that came up when watching the show:

1. What does it mean to be British?

2. If you are born in this country does that automatically mean you are British?

3. If someone said to you if you live in the Uk you need to be like us- how would you respond?
eg.'In Muslim countries we have to dress like them so why do you Muslims not dress like us'?

4. If you were told if you don't like our British way of lif ethen 'go back home'- how would you respond?

5. The show concluded that being British is having COMMON VALUES- so what does this mean to you?

6. What does 'INTEGRATING' mean to you? Do you think its needed or we should not do it?

7. After watching this documentary will you doing anything new/different in order to acheive integration and present yourself toweards the wider community?

wasalaam

i think mohammed has issues with skin colour just as much as the old man with the union jack. i dont see why he was so miffed it wasnt a hugely controversial question. does he know that muslims can marry any race, religion is the issue not colour? i think he just highlights the racist attitudes many asians hold but dont wish to publicise, could be wrong but its a hunch. i mean how many times have i heard asians referring to white ppl as goore in a derogatory way, is it any different from the old man using the word?

2) i dont know if i can answer all the questions. but on a basic level im born in the uk so i consider myself british as far as nationality goes. i feel in limbo, i know if i went bangladesh they wouldn't fully accept me there i would. be considered a western bangla, " londoni" thats what they call us. also over here it appears increasingly im. not fully accepted by the native english because i don't have white skin, wear a mix of western and islamic clothing, and refuse to take part in certain social activities they do as a norm i.e drinking. if. had to pick i would say british whether im accepted fully or not because this place is all i know as home, ive never been to bangladesh.

3) if they said i have to dress like them because they have to in muslim countries. i would say in certain muslim countries i.e ksa its the law of the land, but in the uk it isnt the law. british people can wear whatever they like, so if i want to wear a skirt one day, a sari another it doesnt make me any less british. what is it t be british anyway its an amalgamation of many different cultures, foods and traditions, its not inherently white middle class chrisian values like it once was.

also surely dress at its basic level is not important, its not the clothes we wear that make us who we are, its how we are raised, how we socialise with others.

4) i would say i am home already?...is that. trick question

5) treating others how you would like to be treated
respecting others differences as well as similarities
being charitable not just in monetary terms but acts of kindness

6) integrating has been hijacked by the tabloid media. even this channel 4 show highlights how the ignorant folk dont want us to integrate, but assimilate. they want us to dress like them, eat like them, date like them, pray like them, if we don't we arent deemed british enough. to me integration means mixing, learning about each other, taking on any new practicises so long as it doesnt compromise own morals and values.

7) i dont know what. i can do to be honest.....

sorry for typos i need a keyboard i really cant type on this touchscreen thing it sounds like ive got an asian accent when i read back over my post lool

another thing about integration shouldnt it be a two way thing? im in no way winging but honestly it feels like all the stress is placed on immigrants to mix rather than white english people surely we need to meet halfway otherwise it's a futile cause?

arent white people guilty just as much as any other race of not mixing? i mean all the white people live in one area, asians in another, jamaicans in another, polish in another. is it a bad thing i mean isnt it normal to some extent, birds of a feather flock together? people naturally gravitate towards those with the same food,dress, religion culture as theirs because they can relateto each other more easily?

what of english folk who saywe need to be like them entirely i say u should take ur own advice look at the british ghettos in spain? those english dont want to learn spanish, they dont want to wear the dress or eat the food does that make them any less spanish especially if they have been there for. many yearr and contributed to the country?

I don't think assimilation should be a goal at all.

As for integration - something that allows for respect and people to function within a healthy atmosphere is all there should be.

You wrote:

He pretends that he was once a Muslim, but I doubt he ever was.

I dont pretend to be a Muslim, I was a Sunni Muslim

I'm GHAFIL about Islam

You wrote:

He is here for mischief, but as long as we can answer his questions with good answers, he doesnt cause any damage.

I ask good questions
A bit of fitna is good

you dont ask good questions but moronic once.

Good ones require thoughts other than "what on earth is he on about? how embarrasing".

I kind of agree with that guy from the pub who said that to be British miniskirs must be worn.

I mean just because a lot of people are second generation immigrant, they don't really have a right to be in England unless the conform to the Great British way.

Who knows any second generation imigrants who don't wear short skirts? The one that comes to my mind is The Queen.

So let's get rid of her along with the others. Send them back to where they came from.

Then there's the question of the snobby stiff upper lip aristocracy. They surely can't be welcome either as they don't really wear short skirts and hang out in pubs getting rat assed on weekends. So lets send them somewhere too.

Then we can have a pure Britain. One where we all drink and don't go to work. Collect our giro once a week.

Oh wait, where will the money come from for these giros?

Who will give the chq to us?

Who will take us home in a taxi?

Where will we buy our Kebabs?

Hmmm...... on reflection, maybe he was a but misguided in his comment?

Pages