Muslim Rap music winning new converts to Islam

Quote:
[size=18]Muslim Rap music winning new converts to Islam[/size]

Islamic hip hop music is not only big business, with annual sales in America alone exceeding $1.8 billion - it is also being used as a tool to spread the message of Islam. (Rap music is often used to describe hip hop music). For Muslim rappers, Islam is not only a part of their life but their lyrics as well. Groups such as Native Deen who are popular in their native USA as well as in the UK, don’t follow the mainstream mantra about women, sex, fast cars, jewellery and alcohol. Instead they use rhymes to praise Allah and convey messages of Islam.

Muslim rappers are popular amongst Muslim-Americans looking for entertainment that reflects both their mainstream tastes and religious beliefs. The list of Muslim rappers continues to grow and so do new Muslims who are entering the fold of Islam because of them. Muslim hip hop artists are bringing their religion to Latinos and African-Americans, who are converting to Islam in greater numbers. African Americans actually make up a third of the US Muslims.

Islamic hip hop is popular on this side of the Atlantic as well; Mecca 2 Medina was the UK’s first Muslim hip hop group forming back in 1996. Through their music, they have been educating people about Islam as well as addressing social issues and have released several records.

Muslim rappers have the ability to connect with Muslim youth as they also sing about the issues that are shaking up the Muslim world – for example Palestinian rappers will craft rhymes about Hamas and the Israeli occupation, while some American artists have used their lyrics to criticise the war on Iraq as well as to preach about black Islam issues such as police brutality, gang violence, and social injustice.

Most of today’s youth listen to music so many see it as a modern medium to educate the youth about Islam. The idea is to bring Muslim youth who are moving away from Islam back into the fold through a medium they can identify with as well as using hip hop as a tool to teach non-Muslims about Islam.

As Islamic hip-hop embraces a wide range of views, even extremists have started to use the power of hip hop to send out messages of their version of jihad. A rap song called 'Dirty Kuffar,’ (kuffar - Arabic for unbeliever), which praised the attack on the World Trade Centre in New York – was a hit in radical Islamic circles. The song was also accompanied by a music video with blood-curdling images, fronted by a young Muslim rapper brandishing a gun and a Quran.

Even a number of mainstream hip hop artists including Busta Rhymes are using Islamic references in their lyrics. Mos Def, who is one of the world's most critically-acclaimed hip hop artists, hints at his Muslim faith by incorporating Islamic principles and Arabic words into his raps. Even R&B star Lauryn Hill has used Islamic terms in her music. According to Ted Swedenburg, a professor of cultural anthropology at the University of Arkansas, many in the general listening community “don't have a clue” that there are Islamic references in some mainstream hip hop music.

Hip hop began as a cultural movement among African Americans and Puerto Ricans in New York City in the 1970s consisting of rapping, DJing (audio mixing and scratching), break dancing and graffiti. The relationship between hip-hop and Islam was a natural one as the religion already had strong roots in the African-American community. One of the pioneers of hip hop music was Africa Bambaataa, who is Muslim. His music was influenced by Islamic teachings – a relationship rarely acknowledged by the public.

However, some in the Muslim community find it difficult to accept hip hop music due to its negative image and because of the debate on whether music is permissible in Islam. Some scholars say that all forms of music are forbidden while others say it is allowed as long as it serves a good purpose and only beautiful meanings are propagated. Whatever ones view on Islam and music, the impact of Islam on hip hop music cannot be denied.

Hip hop music is now present in countries as diverse as Egypt, Brazil, Japan, Australia, South Africa, Germany, Senegal, Algeria, Mexico, Palestine, France, China, Cuba, Colombia, Lebanon and Norway. This diversity shows its rise as a dominant force in global youth culture today.

Islamic hip hop is a very powerful tool and politicians and Muslim leaders are only just waking up to its importance in engaging with Muslim youth. Its influence will be very useful in connecting with those that feel alienated and marginalised - especially in the battle against extremism.

[url= UK[/url]

thinking back to the 'debate' on 'queens of islam', this caught my attention.

ahum!

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

i think its good - better than the other rubbish that ppl tend 2 listen ta

and if its bringing ppl towards Islam then its all kool Biggrin

"Admin" wrote:

ahum!

yes?

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

lol admin.

u r a bad influence on hayduh. Blum 3

i read that article with interest, thinking 'wow, subhanAllah didnt know they were having such an impact'... till i got to the end - the link felt like a let down. i was hoping it'd b from more of a 'mainstream' news source like the BBC or summat... where thers less scope for bias.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

you never know who their source is. It may be more mainstream.

Hayder; can rap play a positive role? should it.

I think it can, and its anger can be used to get in touch with the anger felt by alot of muslims.

At the same time, there are some topics that should not be touched by rap. Like compassion.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Ok hayder. you have ten minutes to leave the big brother house.

:twisted:

(unless you have the secret question...)

i really like native deens music - dont think iv heard any other Muslim hip hop/rap artists

Have you heard Soldiers of Allah?

They are pretty angry.

Some of their rap is very informative... But I would not recoend them to those who are easily influenced.

"Admin" wrote:
you never know who their source is. It may be more mainstream.

Hayder; can rap play a positive role? should it.

I think it can, and its anger can be used to get in touch with the anger felt by alot of muslims.

At the same time, there are some topics that should not be touched by rap. Like compassion.

i dont advocate anger

feeling anger is natural, but one must not act upon anger - The Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) felt hurt and anger when he saw what was happening, but he never acted in anger.

one must always adopt a diplomatic approach

thats the danger IMO....some people hear this rap....think 'yeah, lets sort these people out!'

but im not saying its haraam..........but i dont like that Queens of Islam track........if your gonna do it, for gods sake - go the right way about it

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

nah iv heard of them but not actually heard any of their music - il try it and il make sure i dont get influenced lol

[b]DELETED.[/b]

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Med" wrote:
islamic raps?

tawbah tawbah, chi chi chi. astaghfirullah

why?

we are discussing the topic.

Your post is not any type of valid [url=.

"Med" wrote:
islamic raps?

whats so 'chi chi chi' about it? if it has a positive affect on ppl and makes them closer ta Islam then i dont see it as a bad thing

"Med" wrote:
islamic raps?

lol Lol

to an extent i agree with you.........but only the approach used by SOME rappers, not nessecairly coz its music

i have nasheeds, naats and Qiwal's.......much more poetic, and love-driven Smile

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

There are so many islamic references in Hip-Hop music. I used to listen to music in particular Hiphop about 7 monthes ago.

I used to notice a lot of references in music by Bysta rhymes, wu-tang clan, Mos-def and Talib Kweli in particular.

The effect was minimal islamically tho, but there music made u think about certain things. But when u hav groups like soldiers of allah etc rapping, they kinda make u think slightly, but they portray a message of anger as hayder was sayin before.

And in an aggresive form of music, u cant really show the beauty of islam, as for instance you could by singing a Naat.

And muslims by nature shouldn't be aggresive. So i think Rap music for purpose of bringing people to islam isnt a good idea.

But as far as a form of entertainment, If someone is into rap music, theres really no other music like it. I remember when i was tryna giv up listening to music altogether, Rap music was hard to giv up, or replace.

But eventually i started listening to Qawwali and Naats, nasheeds etc. N Nowadays altho if i hear a song i prolly recognise n kno a few words, i actually feel a hatred for the form of music.

So i think the concept of Islamic Rap is wrong becuz, people will listen to that music, n think its ok to listen to other music.

N its a better form of music for The "jihadist" (i cant beleive i actaully used that word Biggrin ) mentality people to recruit people and encourage violence.

So music as a form of education is a Big [size=15]NO[/size]

That being said, I think that modern day activists arent payed as much attention to, and arent as effective as they used to be in the past. Malcolm X in todays era wouldnt be as effective without rap.

So Rap for political awareness is good, becuz ppl who listen to rap really dunt watch news etc n kno nuffin much about politics, im generalising here,

_____________- -SupeRazor- -_______________

Some ppl make their goals the stars.
They may live n die n never reach the stars,
but in the darkness of the night, those stars will guide them to their destination.
Becuz they made them in their eyesight

I personally have nothing against the idea of muslim hip hop. Infact there are some very good artist around, i made up a CD of some of them and gave them too some people and they loved it. Because like it or not there is a Rap Culture out there amongst the Muslims youth. Looking at the lyric Hayder posted in the tech board, we have to face it that muslims listen to these lyric and get influence by them. From the difference of opinion on music, what i know is the scholar who favour music, have said that the lyric are ok, nothig wrong with it, too my mind there no difference from this type of music to Qawaali then.

Theer were quite a few decent websites that were propogating the music, but for some reason they all been shut down. There had over a 1000 members on the forum. There two really good groups out there at teh moment. First one Blakstone and teh other Napolean, who was a member of 2pac Outlawz group. Niether ever swear in their songs, though u may find in Napolean early stuff he may have. Below is a radio Documentary that radio 1xtra done on muslim hip hop it wrth a listen.

[url=

You can also listen to some of Blakstone tracks here.

[url=
Some of Napolean Stuff here

[url=

Though i personally don't listen to the music anymore, i wouldn't have no problem giving it to some of the youth out there, because this type of music may actually help them think in a decent manner, rather then listening to the current crop of people like 50 cents who try to glamourise the streets. I know it not everyone taste, but i personally think it give the kids a decent alternative if they want one.

"A true Muslim is thankful to Allah in prosperity, and resigned to His will in adversity."

[url=http//

Salaam

I agree with yuit. I was into this music few years back but now I strongly dislike it.

But it is a perfect alternative for youth if they want to start weaning themselves of such music.

I agree that music shouldn’t be “aggressive and full of hatred for others” After all it is not right that dawah should be done in this manner either.

However, I feel uneasy with the “Islamic rap tunes” which are originally based on a very dirty or crude song.

Islamic rap should be original and should not copy the tunes of people such as DMX or Dr Dre….cos if one was familiar with the original song, the original lyrics would still be on ones mind.

Having said that, I also don’t really like songs that sound too much like “boy bands” either (e.g 786 “She made her mark on me”…).

But if that is what the Muslim youth are into...then so be it.

Wasalaam

"Admin" wrote:

Muslim rappers are popular amongst Muslim-Americans looking for entertainment that reflects both their mainstream tastes and religious beliefs. The list of Muslim rappers continues to grow and so do new Muslims who are entering the fold of Islam because of them. Muslim hip hop artists are bringing their religion to Latinos and African-Americans, who are converting to Islam in greater numbers. African Americans actually make up a third of the US Muslims.

This has been a point of great annoyance to me. Groups like "LADO" are deliberately targeting latinas and latinos for conversion - and simply don't know when to quit. LADO specifically got Annette's school mailing address and email and sends her stuff constantly now, even after I stepped in.

Aggressive proselytization annoys me, but when aimed specifically at certain groups - so close to home - I am not amused.

These people are just soul harvesting provocators who need to learn their place in society.