Do You Think Hubbly-Bubbly Is Better Than Cigs? Think Again!

Do You Think Hubbly-Bubbly Is Better Than Cigs? Think Again!
M. Ghazanfar Ali Khan, Arab News

RIYADH, 5 January 2006 — Though water pipes, or shishas, are widely viewed as a safer way to smoke, they may be as damaging as cigarettes to the veins, hearts, teeth and gums, as well as many other vital organs, according to a new study published in the International Journal of Periodontology.

The study, whose findings have been supported by local doctors, said that the carbon monoxide, nicotine, tar and heavy metals in the smoke pose often-ignored health threats, including cancer and cardiac problems.

In Saudi Arabia and the Gulf states, shishas (also known as hookahs) are being widely used by men and women for smoking tobacco or tobacco flavored with fruits, sugar syrup or light intoxicating materials. In the Kingdom, water-pipe sections or shisha lounges are increasingly popping up in all resorts and restaurants. An estimated 250 resorts and hotels, which are often frequented by Saudi teenagers, serve shisha in the capital city alone.

Referring to the health hazards, the study said that the trend of shisha smoking is growing because young people in the Kingdom consider smoking a water pipe fashionable. To see if water pipes are as tough on the teeth, mouth or heart as cigarettes are, Suzan Natto and her colleagues at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, studied 262 adults in Saudi Arabia. Overall, 31 percent smoked water pipes exclusively, while 19 percent smoked only cigarettes.

Another 20 percent used both smoking methods, and the rest 30 percent were nonsmokers. The researchers found that about 20 percent of all study participants had signs of gum diseases, which are marked by inflammation and redness in the gums in its earlier stages, and, later, destruction of the bones and soft tissue supporting the teeth, possibly leading to tooth loss.

“But, more than that, shisha smoking can also cause cardiac problems and mouth cancer,” said Dr. Waleed Ahmed Khoja, of the Riyadh Armed Forces Hospital. “Pipe smoking or shisha is as damaging as cigarettes”.

The water-pipe smoke contains the same toxins as cigarette smoke, revealed the study. It is important to note here that some past studies have also suggested that hookah smoking increases heart rate, raises blood pressure and impairs lung function.

According to the study, while only eight percent of non-smokers had gum disease, 30 percent of water pipe smokers and 24 percent of cigarette smokers were affected. When Natto and her colleagues weighed other factors, such as study participants’ ages, they found that water-pipe smokers were five times more likely than nonsmokers to show signs of gum and mouth diseases. They are also at risk from pulmonary disease and other types of malignancies.

Dr. Amjad Rana, CEO of Medilink Healthcare Ltd., said some people believe that shisha filters out the harmful substances. “But this is not the case,” he said, adding that shisha smokers, unlike cigarette smokers, don’t cough as much because of the water vapor in the smoke.

[url= NEWS[/url]

u listening Duh Boy :twisted:

i knew it from the start...both things are as worse as each other,

but i just love inhaling cig smoke, dunno whats the biggie in shisha and the different flavourings..

never come across one apart from the non-flavoured granny ones which is disgusting.

"naj" wrote:
but i just love inhaling cig smoke

eeewww i HATE inhaling smoke - esp when its because of an inconsiderate plonk standing next 2 ya while your waiting 4 the train - passive smoking :evil:

I cant help it im addicted Lol

_____________- -SupeRazor- -_______________

Some ppl make their goals the stars.
They may live n die n never reach the stars,
but in the darkness of the night, those stars will guide them to their destination.
Becuz they made them in their eyesight

"razor" wrote:

That's when you know it's bad for you.

"Beast" wrote:
"razor" wrote:

That's when you know it's bad for you.

i think we can all tell that hes addicted Lol

Im joking, im not really addicted, it jus the only thing that pops into my head when thinking of things to do. Its the only halal enterttainment thing i can think of which v can do all the tym.

Cinema used to b a firm favorite, but that a bit dodgy nowadays cuz every film has obscene parts.

My mate Dude likes to climb Trees, thas his favorite thing to do, i worry for him sometimes.

but in the darkness of the night, those stars will guide them to their destination.

"razor" wrote:
Im joking, im not really addicted, it jus the only thing that pops into my head when thinking of things to do. Its the only halal enterttainment thing i can think of which v can do all the tym.

true i s'pose its better than most other forms of 'entertainment'

"razor" wrote:
Cinema used to b a firm favorite, but that a bit dodgy nowadays cuz every film has obscene parts.

yep nearly all movies nowadays are unsuitable - the whole atmosphere of the cinema just aint right...iv never been in2 going much but i defo wouldnt go now - esp after having watched Shaykh-ul-Islams lecture the Imam Mahdi (RA) one, where he talks about tv as being one the greatest fitnah of today...

"razor" wrote:
My mate Dude likes to climb Trees, thas his favorite thing to do, i worry for him sometimes.

lol if i was u id be worried n all

Salaam

Sheesha gives me a massive headache, and I'm one who very rarely has headaches.

I've never tried it but I have eaten in Arab restuarants where it was being served.

If the smell and smoke of other people having it makes me dizzy I don't know how I'd be able to handle smoking it.

Can any smoker tell me what kicks they get out of smoking the stuff?

Wasalaam

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Salaam

I've never tried it but I have eaten in Arab restuarants where it was being served.

If the smell and smoke of other people having it makes me dizzy I don't know how I'd be able to handle smoking it.

Wasalaam

One must try it before one knows the buzz innit!!!

It takes you to a place youve never been before, and tastes good while your on your journey there.

and, it helps your stomache feel lighter aswell as your head, and when you smoke it, and you breate out, smoke comes out of your mouth as if you were smoking something (oh wait, u r smoking something)

I think it might kil ya braincells....i cnt rember wa i was gn say

Wait a min, where am I?

"razor" wrote:
"MuslimSister" wrote:
Salaam

Wasalaam

One must try it before one knows the buzz innit!!!

It takes you to a place youve never been before, and tastes good while your on your journey there.

and, it helps your stomache feel lighter aswell as your head, and when you smoke it, and you breate out, smoke comes out of your mouth as if you were smoking something (oh wait, u r smoking something)

I think it might kil ya braincells....i cnt rember wa i was gn say

Wait a min, where am I?

lol razor. Lol
btw, leave bro Dawud alone - tree-climbing is cool. Smile as a kid i fell from one and split my lip pretty bad, but even that wasnt enuf to put me off... Lol

MuslimSis, ur bound to feel like tht in a restaurant coz the concentration of sheesha smoke would be extremely high, considering how many sheesha's are being used at one time. i have personally never experienced dizziness/light-headedness coz we hav just the one at home, i havent been to a sheesha cafe (yet!). Wink

and to answer ur other Q, its not about 'kicks' in terms of 'feeling high' or anything like tht, atleast for me it DEFINITELY isnt that! nowhere near! i think for most ppl its just a convenient social thing to do with mates. like say instead of muslim guys going to the pub, they go to a sheesha cafe...
and seeing as how most of my mates probably wudn b interested in playing on the Xbox, i suggest sheesha. one of my mates has a lil' sheesha in her bedroom too, she got it from bahrain and uses it wenever us gals get together at her place.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

I climbed a tree once... because of peer-pressure.

"Beast" wrote:
I climbed a tree once... because of peer-pressure.

expand a little on that please... Lol

They have trees in Birmingham?

:shock: :?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

We were in a park... my mates climbed a tree... they said I was chicken... I climbed the tree too.

"Admin" wrote:
They have trees in Birmingham?

:shock: :?

FYI Birmingham has become very green over the last few years.

Has it deteriorated that far that the greenery is breaking throug the concrete?

:shock:

joking

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Beast" wrote:
We were in a park... my mates climbed a tree... they said I was chicken... I climbed the tree too.

aww its understandable no1 wants ta be the chicken :roll: lol

"Beast" wrote:

it must have been hard to climb the tree...i tried once in my childhood

trying to get away from a dog, didnt know how to climb

"Admin" wrote:

joking

woah Admin leave Bham alone...pick on something your own size jeez... Lol

"muslim_kuri" wrote:
"Admin" wrote:

joking

i.e London Lol

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

lol

"Hayder on Holiday" wrote:
"muslim_kuri" wrote:
"Admin" wrote:

joking

i.e London Lol

Lol hey even Admin found that funny...wow

I was about to make a similar joke... and when he eat me, I cracked up.

(FYI I was gonna say something lame, like 'I am'...)

Wat duz ~FYI mean Is it future Yeti investigations?

This sheesha getn to me good, i need morreee , ggiivvvee me morrreee aaaaaaaahhhhhahahahamuawahhahahhahahah :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

[b]FYI - For your information ------ ThePhantomMod[/b]