European Gas Crisis

Salaam

This is getting very interesting.

Some background: Russia sells cheap gas to forver soviet countries that toe its line. Ukraine used to, but since 2004 has become more west-centric.

Russia used to sell gas at £50.00 for 1000 cubic metres, but has demanded the 'market price' of £230.00, which is over 4 times as high. The price was to be effective new years day. Ukraine refused to pay anything above £80.00. Russia has noe severed its gas pipelines supplying Ukraine. Ukraine needs gas. But if it gets it from elsewhere, it would have to pay the market price, which it has already refused to do.

Approximately 25% of the whole EU gas coes from russia. The majority through Ukraine. Those pipeliones remained open, but their pressure has dropped. It is suggested that Ukraine is siphoning some gas off for themselves.

BBC News[/url]"][size=18]Ukraine 'stealing Europe's gas'[/size]

Russia has accused Ukraine of stealing $25m of gas exports destined for Europe after it cut off supplies to the country on Sunday.

Some European states say supplies from a pipeline running through Ukraine have fallen by up to 40%.

Ukraine denied taking the gas, but said it would indeed siphon off a share if temperatures fell below freezing.

The row erupted after Russia raised the price of 1,000 cubic metres of gas from $50 to $230 and Ukraine refused to pay.

Russia is still charging the lower price to some former Soviet countries, though the average price in the EU is $240.

Moldovan President Vladimir Voronin said his country had also been cut off, after refusing to pay $160 per 1,000 cubic metres, according to the Itar-Tass news agency.

Kiev says it is being punished for its attempts to become more independent from Moscow and develop stronger ties with the West.

In a statement on Sunday night, it accused Russia of resorting to "blackmail" in order to undermine the country's economy.

[b]German warning[/b]

Both the European Union and the United States have expressed concern about the row.

Germany, which depends on Russia for 30% of its supplies, on Monday called on Moscow to "act responsibly".

Alexander Medvedev, deputy head of Russian gas monopoly, Gazprom, said Ukraine had stolen 100 million cubic metres of gas on 1 January.

"If the theft continues at this pace, the volume and cost of the stolen goods will rise quite considerably," he said.

Ukraine's Fuel and Energy Minister Ivan Plachkov said there had been no "unauthorised diversion" of gas.

But he said Ukraine had the right under existing contracts to take a share of gas exported via the Ukrainian pipeline - the main route for Russian exports - and would do so if the temperature fell below -3C.

He also said that Ukraine was currently relying on gas from Turkmenistan and its own reserves.

But Gazprom, which controls the pipeline linking Turkmenistan and Ukraine, said no Turkmen gas was entering the country.

"Today the Ukrainian gas transporting system is receiving nothing but Russian gas," Mr Medvedev told journalists in Moscow.

[b]Supplies falling[/b]

Gazprom supplies about 25% of Western Europe's needs.

Austria, Hungary, Poland and Slovakia have reported a sharp fall in supplies, and have said they will in turn be pumping less gas to customers further down the line.

Experts say Germany could be affected soon.

Austrian, Romanian and Slovak authorities said supplies from Russia were down by about one third, while Hungarian gas firm MOL said its supplies were down by 40%.

Ukraine says the loss of Russian supplies will not hit ordinary Ukrainian consumers, but has warned that industry could be affected.

The Ukrainian Foreign Ministry says Russia is in breach of contract by cutting off the gas and has called for a resumption of talks in the presence of international experts.

It says Ukraine is ready to agree to an increase in gas prices, if this is phased in gradually.

Relations between Russia and Ukraine have been tense since President Viktor Yushchenko came to power last year on a promise to strengthen relations with the EU and Nato, and steer the country out of Russia's sphere of influence.

[url= News[/url]

We don't get Russian gas, so it's OK.

We do get norwegian gas I think?

and that is the substitute for those who do get russian gas....

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I was trying to look on the bright side just as most people are.

When energy prices hit the roof it will come as a surprise to many people.

I enjoy anarchy for some reason.

So I look towards the dark side. with anticipation.

I want to not have to go to work for a few days...

and i am sure this will hit the UK in some way. It is then you can separate true leaders from the pretenders.

It can have a really interesting fallout.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Given that it will be an energy crisis I don't see how anyone will enjoy it.

You can't expect to sit in your warm little house posting on The Revival whilst there is anarchy outside.

I like the cold...

I can't stand the heat.

I know.

Salam

"Beast" wrote:
You're wierd.

Weird.

Omrow

Thankyou Omrow.

I'll be sure to point out you're spelling mistakes too.

your

:twisted:

Ok let forget all this hot air, and go bakc to the topic of gas.

If europe is hit hard, do you think it will change its position on 'reserving' future stockpile?

will it follow the US?

Salam

Reserving is a bad idea. Following Bush is even worse.

Omrow

Before we do move on...

"Omrow" wrote:
lol. Now its crisis.

[b]It's[/b] not [b]its[/b].

And:

"Admin" wrote:

If europe is hit hard, do you think it will change its position on 'reserving' future stockpile?

will it follow the US?

'Ok' is not OK.

It's 'lets' not 'let'.

It's 'back' not 'bakc'.

It's 'Europe' not 'europe'.

And finally, 'it's' not 'its'.

Salam

Beast was right.

Its wierd.

Omrow

Now gas is solved, lets talk bout petrol.

Tis well that petrol will finish in bout 50 years mayb earlier.

then wats to become of the world?,Reckn evryone will go bck to riding horses and camels?

One thinks it could well end the world as we know it

_____________- -SupeRazor- -_______________

Some ppl make their goals the stars.
They may live n die n never reach the stars,
but in the darkness of the night, those stars will guide them to their destination.
Becuz they made them in their eyesight

Who cares?

we'll either be dead, or very close.

you can make fuel from renewable sources. Sugar canes, or other fast growing plants would be best.

Or use solar/wind/water to generate electricity.

"razor" wrote:
then wats to become of the world?,Reckn evryone will go bck to riding horses and camels?

that would be so cool... i'd be up for it! Smile

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"Admin" wrote:
your

...actually he was right

"your" is the second person possessive pronoun (how's that for alliteration!) whereas you're is a contraction of "you are"

Since Beast wasn't implying you own weird, he was in the right.

And it looks like he spelled weird correctly too

"Don Karnage" wrote:
"Admin" wrote:
your

...actually he was right

"your" is the second person possessive pronoun (how's that for alliteration!) whereas you're is a contraction of "you are"

lol, Don ur looking at the wrong quote, admin was referring to this:
"Beast" wrote:

and nope, he switched the i and the e around in 'weird' (i do that all the time :oops:)

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"Aasiyah" wrote:
"Don Karnage" wrote:
"Admin" wrote:
your

...actually he was right

lol, Don ur looking at the wrong quote, admin was referring to this:
"Beast" wrote:

and nope, he switched the i and the e around in 'weird' (i do that all the time :oops:)

Oh...

You're right!

Sorry Admin!

[size=4]this girl is sharp...[/size]

Happy New Year!

"Beast" wrote:
Before we do move on...

"Omrow" wrote:
lol. Now its crisis.

[b]It's[/b] not [b]its[/b].

And:

"Admin" wrote:

will it follow the US?

'Ok' is not OK.

It's 'lets' not 'let'.

It's 'back' not 'bakc'.

It's 'Europe' not 'europe'.

And finally, 'it's' not 'its'.

No. In the final correction it's "its", not "it's". Possessive, about Europe's (its) position. And that isn't final. Finally it's stockpiles. Capitalisation and punctuation are inconsistent throughout and you didn't pick up on much. While we're being pedantic, "[i]x[/i] not [i]y[/i]" should be "[i]x[/i], not [i]y[/i]". Poor show.

"Don Karnagepants" wrote:
you're is a contraction of "you are"

To be consistent that's "you're". Where it becomes non-viable to use inverted commas consistently is here: you're's a contraction of "you are". You're's's a contraction of "you're is". The extra "s" at the end there is just you're's's's s. With inverted commas that would be """you're"'s"'s"'s s. Something important wasn't being said. Notice all the tension's gone.

[size=9]Whatever you do, know that I will always love you. Or else.[/size]

I knew there was a reason I hated studying!

stop it.

I refuse to learn.

We know.

[size=9]Whatever you do, know that I will always love you. Or else.[/size]

I love English…but grammar and spelling has always been my weak point. They don’t teach English grammar in schools …

Thank God for the spelling and grammar built in Microsoft Word. I wouldn’t be able to write a single article if it wasn’t for Microsoft…

"MuslimSister" wrote:

Thank God for the spelling and grammar built in Microsoft Word. I wouldn’t be able to write a single article if it wasn’t for Microsoft…

lol yeh it does help A LOT

"MuslimSister" wrote:
I love English…but grammar and spelling has always been my weak point. They don’t teach English grammar in schools …

They don't teach English grammar... in school?

oookay.

And don't trust Microsoft spelling or grammar!!!!! It's evil and will lead you astray with the passive voice like it's its' job!

Pages