Singing bins

A new weapon has been developed in the war on Britain's litter - talking rubbish bins.

The specially designed bins will be dotted around central London and Liverpool from October.

As well as saying "thank you" when someone dumps in their rubbish, they can also sing opera and Abba, give a round of applause and sometimes even burp.

Keep Britain Tidy is running the campaign along with arts organisation Sing London.

Sing London's director, Colette Hiller, told Sky News: "Its ambition is to actually make people care about the place where they live and we want to do that by using fun as a way to bring the best out in people."

Interactive bins have already had success in parts of Europe

Are you for real?!

"by using fun as a way to bring the best out in people."

FUN?! we need to make throwing rubbish away FUN?! I say taser anyone that throws their rubbish on the floor. Now THATS fun! I call first shot

"Verily, in the remembrance of Allah, do hearts find rest"

There might come a time when bins start to say Jazakala khair when you put rubbish in them

My English is not very good

bilan wrote:
Are you for real?!

"by using fun as a way to bring the best out in people."

FUN?! we need to make throwing rubbish away FUN?! I say taser anyone that throws their rubbish on the floor. Now THATS fun! I call first shot

Its just one of those crazy ideas that pop up from time to time

I don't want to think about what's going to happen when you flush a public toilet at this rate

My English is not very good

Sounds like my tummy, only it growls when its empty and shuts up when its full.