Du'a - The weapon of the believer: PART 4

Salaam Biggrin

August 18th - Chapter 5: The Etiquette of Du'a continued

Sorry for the big gap between the parts by the way :oops:

7. To pray with Humility and Fear

“Call upon your Lord with humility, and in secret. Verily, He does not like aggressors.” – Surah al-A’raf

So it is important that the servant show humility to the Creator and humble himself while making du’a. For is it not befitting that a slave appear in front of his Creator and Master in a state of humility and realising the status of his Lord, fearing his own shortcomings in his duty towards Him?

8. To Complain Only to Allah

Part of the completeness of a person’s tawhid is that he does not complain to anyone else, in order to gain sympathy and pity. Complaining to Allah is of great benefit while complaining to the people is of no benefit. Complaining however does not contradict patience as Yaqub (as) said:

“I only complain of my distraction and anguish to Allah” – Surah Yusuf. There are many other examples in the Quran of the other prophets who would turn to Allah in their time of need.

Would you seek the help of another created being, who cannot benefit or harm himself without Allah’s help, much less benefit or harm others? And why would one seek to gain the pity of he who himself should be pitied due to his helplessness and incapability?

9. To Pray Quietly

A person should not pray loudly, so that others can hear him, but rather in a subdued voice.

Once the Companions were travelling and loudly engaging in dhikr. The prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) said: “O people! Be gentle on yourselves, for you are not calling someone who is deaf or absent. Rather, you are calling the One Who hears everything, Ever-Close.”

The one who is humble does not ask except meekly, whereas the one who is arrogant asks loudly. So softening the voice aids one in achieving this desired humility in du’a.

Lowering one’s voice a person will be able to cut himself off from his environment and not be distracted by it and prevents a person being the target of jealousy as there is no greater cause for enmity than to see a person turn to Allah in private conversation.

Al Hassan al-Basri said: “We used to be amongst a group of people (the Companions) who would never do any act in public if they could do so in private. Those muslims would strive in making their du’a and not a sound would be heard from them! For they used to whisper to their Lord.”

10. Acknowledging One’s Sins

Ali ibn Abi Talib reported that the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) said: "Verily Allah likes a worshipper who says:

'There is no one worthy of worship except You. I have wronged myself, so forgive my sins, for none forgives sins except You’ Allah say ‘My servant knows that he has a Lord who forgives and punishes!’”
So when one raises his hands to Allah, expecting a response from Him, one should also ponder over his relationship with Allah and the shortcomings that he possesses. He should remember that he is asking One whom he has disobeyed and not fulfilled his rights upon Him'"

11. To Implore Allah Earnestly

Of the etiquette of du'a is that a person implores Allah and beseeches Him. This sense of urgency is demonstrated in the sunnah of the prophet (saw).

Aisha(ra)reported that when the prophet(saw)was afflicted with magic, he made du'a, then he made du'a, then he made du'a

12.To be Determined in One's Request

Anas ibn Malik(ra) narrated that the prophet(saw) said: "When one of you makes du'a, then let him be firm and determined in his du'a and let him not say, 'O Allah! If You will then please forgive me' for there is no one who can force Allah to do anything."

It is as if a person is saying "Oh Allah! If You answer my du'a then I thank You, otherwise I do not ask You of it". This implies self-suffiency on the part of the person making the du'a. A person is always in need of Allah's help and should always ask in a manner that shows his need for Allah's support.

13. To Use the Proper Names and Attributes of Allah

Whatever a person is asking for, there will be an appropriate Divine Name or Attribute that he can use.

14. To Repeat the Du'a Three Times

This is a recommended action and narrated in many ahadith from the prophet(saw)for it shows a sense of urgency in obtaining what is asked for.

15. To Pray with Concise Du'as

The prophet(saw) used to avoid prolonged and useless speech as reported by Aisha(ra)

Jazakallah Khair Smile

Lets reunite the ummah under one flag LA ILAHA IL ALLAH MUHAMMADUR RASULULLAH

Somethings been bugging me about one of the points. nr 8 to be exact. To complain to Allah only. I dont want someone to be reading this and think that they cannot talk about whats troubling them with others or that they were wrong for doing so before.Do you think someone COULD come to think like that after reading this? or am I just being silly? Tis why I mentioned the talk by Kalam el-Mekki cos he talks about exactly that, but I couldnt remember exactly where in the video. Tried to skim listen but just couldnt find it! urgh..im being silly arent I? :/

"Verily, in the remembrance of Allah, do hearts find rest"

bilan wrote:
Somethings been bugging me about one of the points. nr 8 to be exact. To complain to Allah only. I dont want someone to be reading this and think that they cannot talk about whats troubling them with others or that they were wrong for doing so before.Do you think someone COULD come to think like that after reading this? or am I just being silly? Tis why I mentioned the talk by Kalam el-Mekki cos he talks about exactly that, but I couldnt remember exactly where in the video. Tried to skim listen but just couldnt find it! urgh..im being silly arent I? :/

Wouldn't say you're being silly, tbh i never thought about it like that until you mentioned it. I mean there's a saying that "a problem shared is a problem halved".

When i read it i just thought of it like if i have any problems or i'm faced with times of difficulty than i should turn to Allah because without His will nothing will happen. I see it as turning to people or a means is secondary but initially you put your trust in Allah. I don't know if that made sense but yeah, you're not being silly.

Foysol89 wrote:
bilan wrote:

Wouldn't say you're being silly, tbh i never thought about it like that until you mentioned it. I mean there's a saying that "a problem shared is a problem halved".

When i read it i just thought of it like if i have any problems or i'm faced with times of difficulty than i should turn to Allah because without His will nothing will happen. I see it as turning to people or a means is secondary but initially you put your trust in Allah. I don't know if that made sense but yeah, you're not being silly.

yup, that did make sense. well as long as im not being silly lol. JazakAllah Biggrin

"Verily, in the remembrance of Allah, do hearts find rest"

Wa iyyakum Smile

not actually talking about it, anot looking like your're being inflicted with some pain or trouble - thats "beatiful patience, sabrun jameel" the patience the father of yusuf 'alaihissalam showed. Thats the highest level of patience. but not all of us can (yet) attain that. hence why we talk about it.

but yes, complaining to people is a lack of patience at the end of teh day, thats what i read in the "patience and gratitute" book by Ibn al-qayyim aljawziyyah

but i dont think thats got to do with duahs. you're just talking about it, you're not asking soemeone to solve that problem, or believe that this person can do that for you, not Allah.

and when making decision, its sunnah to talk about it and then make istikharaah - it actually says you cant go wrong if you do that.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Thanks for putting that into words easliy understood. Totally agree with that

i think ive mixed up everything...

but in the article is says "complain to get sympathy or pity"

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?