When will it be Eid - Sunni v Wa'abi

35 posts / 0 new
Last post

well the same moon is not visible everywhere at the same time

solar calendar for the win!

In my city we have a mosque that follow Saudi, which my grandfather follows however we dont so we usually do have eid on different days. Basically the mosque that i follow, follow the nearest islamic country to Scotland. I cant even remember when my whole family had eid on one day,  The mosques that follow Saudi are usually Wa'abi. x

This is one question that will be asked again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again every Ramadan and every Eid till the end of time.

1R4M wrote:

*sigh*

this is what happens when you follow the lunar cycle...

1R4M wrote:

well the same moon is not visible everywhere at the same time

solar calendar for the win!

You have to be careful here. going awful close to an edge. dont fall of it.

We are used to the solar calendar because its used where we are.

On the other hand, consider this: with the lunar calendar, we have this position where we can not put God into a box, we cannot start days of month on specific days prepared in advance, and this forces us to put God higher up our priorities than we may otherwise do.

Any problems are not due to there being a lunar calendar - as the ruling is rather simple - if you see the moon, then 29 days to the month. Otherwise there are 30. The problems are in our communities when they manifest themselves, and not everyone has to have eid and ramadan start on the same day.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Pages