Hadith explanation please.

Hi, I was just reading through some ahadith in my Sahih Bukhari Hadith book app, or whatever it's called, and I came across this Hadith that seemed odd to me. Now because its just a phone app, it could be incorrect or wrongly input or something or I'm just being dense or whatever.

21.Vol 2, Book 25, No 653

Narrated Anas bin Malik: We were (in the funeral procession) of one of the daughters of the prophet and he was sitting by the side of the grave. I saw his eyes shedding tears. He said, "Is there anyone among you who did not have sexual relations with his wife last night?" Abu Talha replied in the affirmative. And so the prophet told him to get down in the grave. And so he got down in her grave.

What does that mean. That he's pure or something so he should get in the grave or what? :S

maybe it was just something the prophet wanted for his wife. or maybe its an indication of who is allowed to get down in the grave to lower the body? i dont know. try and look for an explanation of the hadith. there should be one out there.

edit: whats the 21 at the front of the reference. went on net and tried to look for the hadith using book 2 volume 25 number 653 but it wasnt that hadith..or maybe the site was wrong...

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Lilly wrote:
maybe it was just something the prophet wanted for his wife. or maybe its an indication of who is allowed to get down in the grave to lower the body? i dont know. try and look for an explanation of the hadith. there should be one out there.

edit: whats the 21 at the front of the reference. went on net and tried to look for the hadith using book 2 volume 25 number 653 but it wasnt that hadith..or maybe the site was wrong...

It would depend on what compilation the hadith is from; Muslim, Bukhari etc...

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Lilly wrote:

I just copied it word for word from the app, so I don't know, but I copied and pasted the whole hadith into Google and it came up with loads of links, so it is real.

This site does have explanations, but they seem a bit odd :S like the whole hadith is misquoted EVERYWHERE and stuff. Which is probably possible but seems unlikely.

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

Ocean wrote:
That's a very strange thing to ask everyone at a funeral "who had shmex last night?"

Exactly, right? :S
and so blatantly too.
Like that person on that Shia site said, if he wanted to know who was in 'a state of janabah' he could have asked that?

Maybe it was cos he was so grief-ridden?

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

Maybe it was an educational hadith about ne rulings?

"ok, before now, not having bathed was not a bad thing,but NOW islamically you must do so before performing religious obligations".

You have to realise that all aspects where there are rules had to be taught and taught openly.

There is another hadith which mentions "there is no shame in religion" - ie when it comes to religious matters (and a lack of knowledge on them), there is nothing shameful about teaching/learning about it openly.

(I am just going by what is quoted above instead of doing "proper" research.)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.