Children as young as five are admitted to hospital for eating disorders

Children as young as five are admitted to hospital for treatment for eating disorders, a recovering anorexic says the blame should not be placed on magazines

Just under 600 were aged 12 or under, with 98 aged between five and seven, 99 aged eight or nine and almost 400 between 10 and 12.

The figures came from 35 NHS trusts in England and were released as part of a Freedom of Information request.

Johanna Harrison is a recovering anorexic who was diagnosed at 15.

She said: "I had an emotional and negative relationship with food for a long time. I remember being secretive about eating at seven, eight and nine.

link

What do all of you think about this report?

I think this is just another fashion that will become the norm soon

My English is not very good

But fashions don't do that, they go out of fashion again. That's why they're called 'fashions'.
If they become the norm then they weren't fashions in the firstplace

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Ya'qub wrote:
But fashions don't do that, they go out of fashion again. That's why they're called 'fashions'.
If they become the norm then they weren't fashions in the firstplace

Can't fashion become the norm at some stage?

A fashion? To be hospitalised?

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

@ SI - why do you like to look down/sneer at people so much?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

so young! I didnt even realise children were even aware at tht age of such things! Actually having said tht ive seen some parents tell their kids off for having too much food.

"Verily, in the remembrance of Allah, do hearts find rest"

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
A fashion? To be hospitalised?

No, fashion to be thin and as a result of that fashion they are hospitalised

You wrote:
@ SI - why do you like to look down/sneer at people so much?

In what way am I looking down at people?

bilan wrote:
so young! I didnt even realise children were even aware at tht age of such things! Actually having said tht ive seen some parents tell their kids off for having too much food.

:oops:

gawd...i dont think its about the parents telling off. coz parents being doing that since parents were invented!

its about the way kids take it. nowadays slapping your kid may lead to prison.
and if you dont know about anorexia in the FIRST place...less likely to get it.

i dont think the parents are too blame. anorexia is a mental illness. parents cant be blamed for the mental health of their kids. not completely...

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

bilan wrote:
so young! I didnt even realise children were even aware at tht age of such things!

It’s because young children are exposed to TV, bill boards – Magazines with thin looking spot free air brushed celebrities at a very young age most likely when they first open there eyes and as that is the only way they have seen people from day one of there life they don't see anything wrong with it in other words seeing it as the only way to look when they reach the age of understanding be it 5 10 15 and if they do happen to be a little fat there could also be the added element of peer pressure to fit in with the rest of the crowd

(can we use the word fat anymore? or do I have to change it to obese we now also live in a society were the tiniest things are policed)

bilan wrote:

Actually having said tht ive seen some parents tell their kids off for having too much food.

That's only if they are already fat – obese

It is the parent's job to teach their kids discipline, which will include not gorging themselves too much.

That in itself is not an issue.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

and some kids' metabolism is slower. or they put on weight more easily. there's all this to consider.

You wrote:
It is the parent's job to teach their kids discipline, which will include not gorging themselves too much.

That in itself is not an issue.

What if the parents them self’s are kids ie 14 or 15 and they don't know any better

Lilly wrote:
and some kids' metabolism is slower. or they put on weight more easily. there's all this to consider.

The only thing to consider is if the kids have a Medical condition by birth which is no fault of there own then yes concessions have to be made other then that no if they can put weight on easily then they should also be able to lose it easily

stopincest wrote:
What if the parents them self’s are kids ie 14 or 15 and they don't know any better

They will grow up.

and havign kids is always an experiment - there is nos et age where the parents would be prefect (but it is possible to get to an age where becoming a new parent would be a very bad idea).

I thought the major problem was childhood obesity. Maybe this is a (extreme) reaction to that.

What's worse, being too fat or too thin?

Ya'qub wrote:
I thought the major problem was childhood obesity. Maybe this is a (extreme) reaction to that.

In regards to effects on the body I think its too thin.

I understand that parents cant just let them kids have food 24/7 but if you are going to restrict some food, do it in a way that wont harm your child. the scenario I was talking about, the kid's brother said 'mum says shes not allowed or shell get fat' or something like that. Now thats just sad. Children tend to be active all the time though, so they dnt rlly gain weight unless its excessive/unhealthy eating.

"Verily, in the remembrance of Allah, do hearts find rest"

You wrote:

They will grow up.

and having kids is always an experiment - there is no set age where the parents would be prefect (but it is possible to get to an age where becoming a new parent would be a very bad idea).

Yes they will grow up but morals need to be taught at an early age for them to sink in
Your right having kids is always an experiment now it seems to be the kids favourite it tops the list

You say

You wrote:

(but it is possible to get to an age where becoming a new parent would be a very bad idea).

Now the question is what age would that be for (you)

Ya'qub wrote:

That's the other side of the coin I guess

Ya'qub wrote:

[/quote]

Both I would have thought in there own way

bilan wrote:

Children tend to be active all the time though, so they don't really gain weight unless its excessive/unhealthy eating.

But a lot of people say that kids are going out less these days and are watching TV or playing on there PS3 and that seems to be the reason for obesity

stopincest wrote:
Ya'qub wrote:

That's the other side of the coin I guess

Ya'qub wrote:

Both I would have thought in there own way[/quote]
How can both be worse?

Ya'qub wrote:

How can both be worse?

They could both kill or harm

stopincest wrote:
Ya'qub wrote:

How can both be worse?

They could both kill or harm

Lol

s.b.f wrote:

Lol

Anorexia could kill, and being fat could lead you to an heart attack

stopincest wrote:
s.b.f wrote:

Lol

Anorexia could kill, and being fat could lead you to an heart attack

SI, you were meant to say 'they're as bad as each other' - both can't be 'worse'.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:

SI, you were meant to say 'they're as bad as each other' - both can't be 'worse'.

[/quote]

That’s what I meant

I know, it was just incorrect and maybe what made sbf laugh, so i thought id tell you

stopincest wrote:
Lilly wrote:

The only thing to consider is if the kids have a Medical condition by birth which is no fault of there own then yes concessions have to be made other then that no if they can put weight on easily then they should also be able to lose it easily

nope, it doesnt work like that. metabolism is real dude. thats why not everyone's the same size.. :roll:

Lilly wrote:
stopincest wrote:
Lilly wrote:

nope, it doesnt work like that. metabolism is real dude. thats why not everyone's the same size.. :roll:

But if they ate a controlled amount of food then there would be no problem

stopincest wrote:
Lilly wrote:
stopincest wrote:
Lilly wrote:

But if they ate a controlled amount of food then there would be no problem

you'll see when you have kids.

Pages