Kids!

A lot of talks mention the duties that parents have towards their children in teaching about Islam and setting them up for later life (and this isn't even the core subject being discussed, it just creeps up!

I guess it is something worth discussing considering stories you hear about kids gone bad and all that, but with pretty much all of the talks discussing technology and the media that kids are exposed to (which might desensitise them to certain activities and consider them 'normal').

Basically they said that parents should be monitoring their kids when it comes to these things, such as the movies they watch, (alias) fb account, phone records and what not. You might initially think that this is overboard (or maybe not) but I've seen myself what can go wrong when a parent isn't aware of these things. Having said that I cant imagine doing these things myself as a parent because I have a fb account, watch TV/movies/have a mobile and even though im not dodgy with any of them exactly, would it be fair if I told my kids that they couldn't have any of it???...I wouldnt want my mum checking the above to be honest...and when do you STOP monitoring ur kids???? And do you stop watching TV programs that you watch now when u have kids????? :s

In regards to TV, my household has a firm policy.. if possible, let the kids have fun outside in the garden or park. Children tend to become disruptive if they're cooped up inside all the time. Given that the kids in my family are under the age of 5, but to a certain extent we do monitor what is watched.. i'm talking monitoring on the kids channels like Cbeebies.. i don't like them to watch programs that will totally dumb them down like teletubbies (why is that still aired?!) And neither does my sister i think.

We also aim not to watch things with violence or swearing in front of them either (e.g. films like Die Hard.. good films to watch just not in front of them), and it goes without saying watching things that are 'sexualised' is a defo no no.

Even things like Shrek sometimes is not too great, they say sentences like "Shut up" which ok fair enough, kids can hear on an average day but they'll pick it up.

I bought my nephew a Zaky DVD where the bear teaches the Salaah..it's not a everyday watch but it's nice to have a balance sometimes. Anyyywayy the point is, parents need to embed this BEFORE they grow up and rebel. It's about building the right foundations.

Jihad of the Nafs (The Struggle of the Soul)

That all sounds good, but I wouldn't include violence in the ban list - that means no Tom and Jerry too and you wont want them too to turn pale at the first site of violence in the real world.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Truth's_Razors wrote:
In regards to TV, my household has a firm policy.. if possible, let the kids have fun outside in the garden or park. Children tend to become disruptive if they're cooped up inside all the time. Given that the kids in my family are under the age of 5, but to a certain extent we do monitor what is watched.. i'm talking monitoring on the kids channels like Cbeebies.. i don't like them to watch programs that will totally dumb them down like teletubbies (why is that still aired?!) And neither does my sister i think.

We also aim not to watch things with violence or swearing in front of them either (e.g. films like Die Hard.. good films to watch just not in front of them), and it goes without saying watching things that are 'sexualised' is a defo no no.

Even things like Shrek sometimes is not too great, they say sentences like "Shut up" which ok fair enough, kids can hear on an average day but they'll pick it up.

I bought my nephew a Zaky DVD where the bear teaches the Salaah..it's not a everyday watch but it's nice to have a balance sometimes. Anyyywayy the point is, parents need to embed this BEFORE they grow up and rebel. It's about building the right foundations.

Truths what are you DOING??
Poor ol kids, they must be miserable.

You gotta let em have a little bit of naked gun once in a while, or maybe bad boyz, No? bad boyz, bad boyz, what u gonna do when they come for you, I luv that movie, especially Will Smith's character.
You gotta let em see a little bit of ding dong too you know, otherwise they gonna experiment on their own and will be lifting up gals skirts in school. I bet your kids will think babies are brought by the, what you call that bird?? yeah what ever....

If I ever have to kill for something, it would be for, "A woman"
If I ever have to kill something it would have to be, "A woman"

You wrote:
That all sounds good, but I wouldn't include violence in the ban list - that means no Tom and Jerry too and you wont want them too to turn pale at the first site of violence in the real world.

I mean violence like film violence not so much Tom and Jerry though..

Jack the Ripper wrote:

Truths what are you DOING??
Poor ol kids, they must be miserable.

You gotta let em have a little bit of naked gun once in a while, or maybe bad boyz, No? bad boyz, bad boyz, what u gonna do when they come for you, I luv that movie, especially Will Smith's character.
You gotta let em see a little bit of ding dong too you know, otherwise they gonna experiment on their own and will be lifting up gals skirts in school. I bet your kids will think babies are brought by the, what you call that bird?? yeah what ever....

The naked gun - as amusing as that can be (Frank pulling the plug out of the bomb was funny), or Bad boys (greaaatt film!) they aren't suitable for children, which is why they aren't rated a 'U'

I agree with Grinno, it's all about the right foundations.

Teach them about Islam from the start and then understand and trust them - instead of being over-controlling by checking their fb and what not. But you should make sure you know what sites your children are using and try to stop them from doing anything dodgy.

If you try to control too much, its going to lead to them rebelling, I think.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
I agree with Grinno, it's all about the right foundations.

Teach them about Islam from the start and then understand and trust them - instead of being over-controlling by checking their fb and what not. But you should make sure you know what sites your children are using and try to stop them from doing anything dodgy.

If you try to control too much, its going to lead to them rebelling, I think.

yh tht makes sense

"Verily, in the remembrance of Allah, do hearts find rest"

touche. *lills dead*

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Lilly wrote:
touche. *lills dead*

?

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Lilly wrote:
touche. *lills dead*

?

this topic has killed me.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

how?

We were at the park and my friend swore, I told her off (not that she would listen to me :/ ) but so did the father of a little girl who was on the baby swings next to us. He was all like "there's no need to swear especially in front of young children" and thats all good and fine but the weird thing was he was smoking right in her face! WTH Fool :S That's kinda messed up!

He wasn't a Muslim but it reminded me of this topic.

We were at the park and my friend swore, I told her off (not that she would listen to me :/ ) but so did the father of a little girl who was on the baby swings next to us. He was all like "there's no need to swear especially in front of young children" and thats all good and fine but the weird thing was he was smoking right in her face! WTH Fool :S That's kinda messed up!

He wasn't a Muslim but it reminded me of this topic.

Yh I find parents smoking on front of their kids not on as well. lol and yay for remembering the topic though Biggrin

"Verily, in the remembrance of Allah, do hearts find rest"