Bicycles of Doom

"<a href=" title="BBC News">BBC News Magazine</a> wrote:

By Jon Kelly

MPs could introduce a new offence of causing death by dangerous cycling. But how much of a danger do these two-wheeled travellers really pose?

There is little that divides UK public opinion more sharply than cyclists.

To their supporters, Britain's bike-riders are clean, green, commuters-with-a-conscience, who relieve congestion on the nation's roads while keeping themselves fit.

But to certain newspapers, and indeed plenty of motorists, they are "lycra louts", jumping red lights, hurtling past pedestrians on pavements and denying the Highway Code applies to them.
Alex Bailey of the Cyclists Touring Club (CTC), which lobbies on behalf of bike users, says valuable parliamentary time could and should be used more effectively to improve road safety. He says there is no need to change the law as twice in the past decade an 1861 act has been used to jail cyclists who killed pedestrians while riding on the pavement.

The notion of the marauding, aggressive cyclist causing rampage on the road, he insists, has little grounding in fact.

"It has a lot of currency in the media," he says. "But it's emotionally based, not rationally based. The problem is not about cyclists at all."
Now, at least in built-up areas, one stereotype, rightly or wrongly, is of well-paid men in expensive leisuirewear with a sense of entitlement and a refusal to conform to the same rules as everyone else.

...Guardian columnist and cycling advocate Zoe Williams says she is exasperated by the references to red light-jumping whenever bikes are discussed.

She insists the practice largely stems from fear, not arrogance, due to the high number of cyclists killed each year by heavy goods vehicles turning left at junctions, and says ministers should concentrate on tackling such deaths if they really want to make the roads safer.

She adds: "Can you imagine if every time we talked about cars people complained about drivers doing 80mph on the motorway?

"Most cyclists are actually pretty timid. You're constantly living on your wits because you're vulnerable. Instead of drawing up laws like this we should be encouraging cycling and making it easier."

Pedestrian casualties 2001-09

Killed by cycles: 18
Seriously injured by cycles: 434
Killed by cars: 3,495
Seriously injured by cars: 46,245
Figures apply to Great Britain. Source: Department for Transport

If Death by Dangerous Cycling needs a new law it should be quietly passed, but commotion about such a rare occurrence is weird.

I am all for using common sense on the roads, which is to say be safe and don't make other road users angry or surprise them, but who really cares if you did 80 and caused no harm? Some money-making authority is all. Not me. Nor do I care if cyclists jump red lights, so long as they do so without obstructing anyone. Usually what happens there is I have a number of big vehicles to my right and I will be much safer if the second the opposing lights turn red I get away from traffic and traffic control. Now that does not obstruct anyone, and if we talk about it in retrospect the failure to give priority to, first pedestrians, then cyclists, in all weather conditions reflects terribly on people's common sense and more terribly on their humanity.

Some drivers just hate cyclists blocking paths, and prefer that cyclists do the more dangerous thing by cycling right alongside kerbs and gutters. Which is bad cycling. Good cyclists block tight lanes so they can be seen. The inconvenience to drivers who get wound up is nothing. I know, I usually drive. When I am in a car with someone who cusses cyclists it is never anything to do with being inconvenienced, it is just a lazy attack on some other people. I don't give a tinker's about those guys.

Very occasionally a cyclist does annoy me. Far more often I am astounded by the stupidity and recklessness of drivers, and I find attacks on cyclists largely disingenuous chatter like the sort of leery nonsense you hear in the pub watching football.

Cycling about at your own pace is a pleasant activity, when you feel like doing it, and I don't care what the hooligans think, and I'll jump lights as I see fit.

I dont see why people are so irritated by bicycles. Its weird.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

im learning to drive and honestly i think most roads in the uk are not big enough for cyclists and cars. cyclists weaving through traffic, or in the middle of heavy traffic is just asking for an accident. Those areas where there are large roads they should be clearly marked with cycle lanes throughout, not just a few yards, as it appears to be where i live.

Why is it not mandatory for cyclists to wear bright and reflective gear? Why is it not mandatory for them to follow traffic lights? If they're on the road surely they should follow the same rules?

Where it is possible why cant the uk follow the example of some european countries that have separate lanes for cyclists as well as separate lights, so there is less danger to all road users. This may even encourage more people to cycle to school and work?

Since cyclists use the road they should have laws that apply to them too, why should they be above the law? If they can slow down traffic or cause an obstruction then the same laws should apply to them.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

Hajjar wrote:
Why is it not mandatory for cyclists to wear bright and reflective gear? Why is it not mandatory for them to follow traffic lights? If they're on the road surely they should follow the same rules?

Cyclist are required by law to have lights at the front and back when cycling at night, but some don't, and even worse is when those who don't have lights wear dark clothing. Just asking for an accident to happen. I've had a near miss with a cyclist once, didn't see them until they were a few inches away from my front bumper when turning into a road.

They also have to follow traffic lights signals, but again, many don't unless they're at a busy junction where they have to stop because of traffic flow.

Hajjar wrote:
im learning to drive

It may be down to this really - when learning we need to learn new things and an extra thing to focus on can get... not easy.

But once people are experiences drivers, I don't see why bicycles should annoy them too much.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
But once people are experiences drivers, I don't see why bicycles should annoy them too much.

Cyclists still annoy me, and motorists in general. They don't follow the highway code and hold up traffic, especially the ones which cycle in the middle of the road and not near the kerb. Feel like running them over but I control myself.