Tunisia: President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali forced out

Tunisia's president has stepped down after 23 years in power amid unprecedented protests on the streets of the capital Tunis.

Prime Minister Mohammed Ghannouchi said he would be taking over from President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali.

A state of emergency has been declared amid protests over corruption, unemployment and rising prices.

Mr Ben Ali has flown to the Mediterranean island of Malta, reports the BBC's Christian Fraser in Paris.

Read more @

I was watching the coverage of the protests in the above link and something remarkable stood out... paraphrasing:

"for the first time in the modern world the people in the arab world have risen up to bring down an arab leader"

Quite an achievement if the next regime is better than the old one.

(in that paraphrased quote, "modern" may have been "post-modern" or past a specific event.)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

have you heard about how his wife's family is EVERYWHERE is that old government? People even called it a mafia state...

Inshallah the new government is better... they deserve it, to overthrow power like this... has this ever happened in "recent" Europe?

Exam week was in hte worse week, missed so much news...

about the where he took refuge, no one knows where he is, because..well..i bet he himself doesnt know where he's going, or where he CAN go.

was watching french news yesterday...

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Lilly wrote:
about the where he took refuge, no one knows where he is, because..well..i bet he himself doesnt know where he's going, or where he CAN go.

Saudi.

That is the good thing about saudi - they are generally willing tot ake in despots and ex leaders from Muslim majority states in order to ease any transitions.

Some are suggesting that Algeria may be next - but different as Tunisia was a shock to the news journalists system and now they are placing bets on who will fall next and wether it will be a domino system where corrupt arab regimes that are western backed will fall all over the arab world due to popular pressure... chances are its just a one off and the news media just want to get their sensationalism in.

There is still a question of if the replacements will be any better... up is not the only way to go.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

yep. Saudi it is...
¬_¬

i really wonder what's going to happen. Let it be good! please!

Foriegners are leaving Tunisia in droves, with some even being attacked.

Curfews are still be in place.

I wonder if those with power are waiting for the external eyes to leave before cracking down brutally?

(the thought was given to me by "")

Hadith - Sahih Muslim 4569, Narrated Umm Salamah, r.a.

The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: In the near future there will be Amirs (rulers) and you will like their good deeds and dislike their bad deeds. One who sees through their bad deeds (and tries to prevent their repetition by his hand or through his speech), is absolved from blame, but one who hates their bad deeds (in the heart of his heart, being unable to prevent their recurrence by his hand or his tongue), is (also) safe (so far as God"s wrath is concerned). But one who approves of their bad deeds and imitates them is spiritually ruined. People asked (the Prophet): Shouldn't we fight against them? He replied: No, as long as they say their prayers.

i chose my stance. If that president prayed, then that "revolution" is wrong.