Preachers to be

[size=18]Preachers to Be [/size]

[b]7:00pm - 8:00pm

Today

Channel 4[/b]

2/2

Filmed over two years, this two-part series follows the remarkable journeys of preachers-to-be in three of the UK's largest religions: Hinduism, Islam and Christianity. The trainee priests must cope with the gruesome realities of the funeral rites of their respective faiths, including embalming and cremation, in addition to the everyday pressures of their new vocations.

[url=

Can't believe I missed the first one, anyone see it?

[size=18]Wanted: an Imam for Today[/size]

[b]An advert for the position of Imam of the Grand Mosque in
Istanbul at the time of Sultan Suleyman the Lawgiver (known in Europe
as Suleyman the Magnificent) who ruled the (Ottoman Empire from
1520 to 1566.[/b]

[size=18]1st[/size] To have mastered the languages of Arabic, Latin. Turkish and Persian

[size=18]2nd[/size] To have mastered the Qur’an, the Bible and the Torah

[size=18]3rd[/size] To be a scholar in Shari’ah and Fiqh

[size=18]4th[/size] To have mastered physics and mathematics up to teaching standard

[size=18]5th[/size] To be a master of chivalry, archery, duelling and the arts of Jihad

[size=18]6th[/size] To be of a handsome countenance

[size=18]7th[/size] To have a strong melodious voice

[url= Reprinted form Al-Ahram[/url]

Would it be true to say that standards have slipped?

reqirements 5, 6 and 7 are so important - no i really mean it but they're so often overlooked

did they mention dont be [b]boring[/b] and have some common sense and know youth culture if our molvi had that there'd be regular attendance

"seema*" wrote:

did they mention dont be [b]boring[/b] and have some common sense and know youth culture if our molvi had that there'd be regular attendance

During a sermon our imam did a little impression of a youth - he shrugged his shoulders and said, 'Wa'. Only lasted a second but very funny.

lol

but point 5 is really really good isnt it i never imagined that could be a requirment

i almost wish i was a man!

"Enver" wrote:

[size=18]6th[/size] To be of a handsome countenance

Thats intresting.

I wonder what would be the criterea to judge a "handsome countenance"...

Omrow i cant talk to you any more until you've apologised for goodness sakes!

its to no shame apologising there is a shame if you dont

sorry to speak out of turn only thinking of your respect

Salam

Seemo. As you can read from the binger's post, this topic is about good looking mullahs.

If you want to talk about something else, then please do so on the appropriate thread.

Or, you can create a new thread. Thats allowed you know.

Omrow

This topic is NOT about good looking Mullah's. Don't be so silly.

I just can't see how being attarctive is a cecessary criteria to be a preacher. Nor can I understand how one could judge that since beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

But there are other points in the list above that need to be discussed.

Would you like that line to the Miss World Judges ?

by that point, i presumed they meant an Imam who looked after his appearance and well groomed etc?

in them days, they were pretty handsome fellas Lol

by that i mean, well looked after in terms of appearance

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

Salam

"Ahlul Halwa" wrote:
...well groomed etc?

This is a new twist.

Omrow

"Ahlul Halwa" wrote:
by that point, i presumed they meant an Imam who looked after his appearance and well groomed etc?

i read somewhere that the imam has to be well liked by the people - having a pleasant appearance ie like halva says clean and tidy should help

I thinks she means clean shaven. God !!

"Ahlul Halwa" wrote:

I know its silly of me to get bogged down with this...but I read of scholars who had terrible illness, some were hunchbacked..not that attractive etc But they were top scholars.

The point the author was trying to make was that Taqwa, character and knowldge determines the worth of an individual.

of course it does Muslim sister but having a pleasant appearance helps and its all because they are so pious that their countenance becomes pleasant to behold

and i think this is the crux of that point

these would have been more than Imams, they would be leaders and play a more central role in society. thier need for chivalry and battle skills highlight this.

they arent like Imams today

nor are they sayinng All scholars should fit these criteria

i get what ya mean MS.......but you can see what the Ottomans wanted in thier leaders - as near as perfect all round

not neccisarily a bad thing, its not like as if they would get away with having poor knowledge in Fiqh due to their superior looks

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ