HOW to Earn Respect.

1. Don't demand it.
2. Don't expect it.
3. Don't do something because you think it will earn you respect.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
1. Don't demand it.
2. Don't expect it.

Ok so how do we get it then?

Jihad of the Nafs (The Struggle of the Soul)

You wrote:
1. Don't demand it.
2. Don't expect it.

Agreed.

Your own soul is nourished when you are kind; it is destroyed when you are cruel.

You don't get respect. It's given to you.

Your own soul is nourished when you are kind; it is destroyed when you are cruel.

Truth's_Razors wrote:
You wrote:
1. Don't demand it.
2. Don't expect it.

You don't get it. God gives it to you.

There is one certainty though - if you chase after it, all it will lead to is ridicule.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
Truth's_Razors wrote:
You wrote:
1. Don't demand it.
2. Don't expect it.

There is one certainty though - if you chase after it, all it will lead to is ridicule.

I just mean like do we act in a certain way? I mean surely we can't just get it by doing nothing?

You wrote:

persnal experience?

Why would I chase after anything?

It's not the way I generally operate, nor one that I would be any good at.

Truth's_Razors wrote:
You wrote:
Truth's_Razors wrote:
You wrote:
1. Don't demand it.
2. Don't expect it.

I just mean like do we act in a certain way? I mean surely we can't just get it by doing nothing?

You "treat others how you wish to be treated"
You don't act all holy than thou
You are amiable
You do NOT [keep] mentioning how great you are, what wonderful things you do etc
and so on

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

You wrote:

then how do you know?

s.b.f wrote:
You wrote:

then how do you know?

Because you see people who try that

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

I think sometimes you can be just doing nothing to get respect. Sometimes it's due to a persons position like a Sheikh or Walli , or the personality the person has . Like he/she might never tell a lie and for that he gets respect.

Depends on the situation and person.

But you cannot earn or buy respect. Like YOU said, it's given by Allah. And if you do something to earn respect then just as YOU said it will only lead to erm...destruction or failure ...

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
Truth's_Razors wrote:
You wrote:
Truth's_Razors wrote:
You wrote:
1. Don't demand it.
2. Don't expect it.

You "treat others how you wish to be treated"
You don't act all holy than thou
You are amiable
You do NOT [keep] mentioning how great you are, what wonderful things you do etc
and so on

Thankss

I was asking because recently (meeting various people from school that i hadn't seen in ages) i was told that at school i was 'respected' and i never understood what i did really.

Truth's_Razors wrote:

I was asking because recently (meeting various people from school that i hadn't seen in ages) i was told that at school i was 'respected' and i never understood what i did really.

Smile

...but you were probably respected cuz you were the ring leader of your little wanabee G gang Blum 3

Truth's_Razors wrote:

Smile

...but you were probably respected cuz you were the ring leader of your little wanabee G gang Blum 3

Yo REPHRASE!
Scratching the 'WANABEE'!

lol

What you did was your own thing - you probably never chased after the recognition from other people etc and people respect that.

Truth's_Razors wrote:
Branching off TPOS (Pron: Tee-Puh-Oss)

Is that how you pronounce it? I always say that as the initials 'Tee Pee Oh Es'
Your way sounds weird lol

IMO Respect cannot be given, purchased or acquired, it can only be earned. IMO respect is more of a by-product of what you were truely after.

Someone mentioned respect through ones position. This is true. People like some big timer Sheikh or Walli are respected for their position, their knowledge, understanding what they've gone through to get to where they are. People also respect Doctors, Lawyers etc etc for the similar reasons. Knowledge etc.

Respect is earned through actions. Noble actions or deeds to be precise.

Respect doesnt come to those who are simply out to get respect but those who want to do something great and achieve respect by doing so.

Make sense?

Back in BLACK

you dont earn it, its given. but accept it when given.

EDIT: ^^wrote this without reading Seraph's comment. (also , was typing with one hand and touched shift caps lock and couldnt be bothered to change it back but now i changed it)

i agree with Seraph. but to "earn" respect, someone out there has to give it. and they give it because you earned it. so both DO work. (im not contradicting you)

im just saying, dont try and push "respect" away, when its given to you, just accept it.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Lilly wrote:
you dont eARN RESPECT, ITS GIVEN. JUST DONT LOOK FOR IT. but accept it when given.

watever ill be at Moes :roll:

Back in BLACK

You wrote:
What you did was your own thing - you probably never chased after the recognition from other people etc and people respect that.

Interesting.. so it kinda pays off not caring what people think?

Truth's_Razors wrote:
Branching off TPOS (Pron: Tee-Puh-Oss)

Is that how you pronounce it? I always say that as the initials 'Tee Pee Oh Es'
Your way sounds weird lol

YOUR way sounds weird - well actually it doesn't, i say 'Tee-Puh-Oss' (although i think the 'u' should be an 'o') because it reminds me of 'T-Bag' from Prison Break and how my friends and i started saying A-Sap instead of A.S.A.P.

GRINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN Biggrin Biggrin

Seraphim wrote:
IMO Respect cannot be given, purchased or acquired, it can only be earned. IMO respect is more of a by-product of what you were truely after.

Someone mentioned respect through ones position. This is true. People like some big timer Sheikh or Walli are respected for their position, their knowledge, understanding what they've gone through to get to where they are. People also respect Doctors, Lawyers etc etc for the similar reasons. Knowledge etc.

Respect is earned through actions. Noble actions or deeds to be precise.

Respect doesnt come to those who are simply out to get respect but those who want to do something great and achieve respect by doing so.

Make sense?

I guess. So only the truly good can gain respect (respect that isn't due to status, power or wealth that is). Sitting here contemplating on what you said (for a while) i realised that if a person strives to be good, they are usually (but not always) respected as a result anyway.

Seraphim wrote:
Word Biggrin

Lol!

I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to get respect

Like if you want respect from your kids, you discipline them well etc
or if you want respect from a teacher you make a lot of effort or whatever

I don't think a necessary condition of getting respect is being so noble you don't want it.

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #