Religious And Arrogant

Salaam

Imam Ghazali has said that the people of knowledge are more in danger of being victims of arrogance.

It is said that before his fall, Satan was an extremely important Jinn, who through his worship reached the status of an Angel. However he refused to bow down to Hadrat Adam (as) because he thought he was better then him...

We too, should be careful of our “self righteous/ we know better then others” attitude, which can subtly take us away from Islam.

A bit of knowledge and pious actions results in the superiority complex for many people. Many begin to act like “Know it alls” and perceive themselves as being “guided” and others as being “misguided”.

Isn’t that arrogance?

OR is arrogance seen in those who are convinced that they are right whilst everyone else is wrong, and then look down/insult or patronise those who don’t see eye to eye with them?

What about those who perceive themselves as the “people of knowledge” and others as the “people of ignorance”….. is that arrogance?

Some people are stubborn or feel very passionate for what they believe in and this is sometimes misinterpreted as being arrogant…

Acquiring knowledge is supposed to be a very humbling experience as the more one learns the more he/she realises what they don’t know…as a result they are less hasty to condemn and judge others…… In other words if the more we learn about Islam produces arrogance instead of feelings of shame, guilt and fear etc then we need to seriously ask ourselves if we’re on the right track.

After all the deeper ones gets into Islam, the more convinced they should become convinced that they are the worst sinners on the face of Earth….cos Islam should instil in us feelings of humbleness and fear of Allah (swt)…

I think it was Hadrat Abu Bakr (ra) who used to wish he was a blade of grass, so that he wouldn’t have to go through accountability.

The inability to accept difference of opinion can also be perceived as being arrogance…

One of Imam Malik’s students greatly differed to Imam Malik in lifestyle. (Unlike Imam Malik) He was not well dressed, did not have good relations with the rulers, nor did he ever accept a gift from them. However neither the teacher nor the student ever condemned one another. Our mentality however is more narrow minded, we seem to be convinced that only our way is the right way and condemn those who do not do as we...

So what exactly is arrogance why do religious people often come across as such?

Share your thoughts…

Wasalaam

"MuslimSister" wrote:

What about those who perceive themselves as the “people of knowledge” and others as the “people of ignorance”….. is that arrogance?

Nuf said Dirol

I think what you have wrote is very true.

It does seem to me that the Muslims currently look for superiority in words rather then action, which is why some go around condemning everyone. This is one of the reasons that the Muslims seem to be in the position that they are currently. Arrogance is something I think we are all affected by, and something we all have in us. It just that the action of some seem to highlight it more in some then others. Plus people do look for what I perceive as minor faults in each other, as a way to seek some sort of upper hand.

I think someone once said on this forum, is that we seem to be too occupied with what other do and their action that we forget about ourselves and our own faults. I also think people have a tendency to look for the bad in people and this is another reason that manifest arrogance in people, it seem that they are above these sort of sins. I think someone mention a great scholar in the past saying that, when as an individual you look too a person younger then you, you should envy them because they committed less sins then you, and when you see someone older, you should envy them as they committed more good deeds then you. However currently it seem that people look at the one younger and say that they haven’t committed as much good deeds as them and then the elders and say that they committed more sins then them. That how it seem sometimes too me.

I always believe that a person action speaks much more loudly then words and as Muslims I think this is something we should concentrate more on. Because I sure all Muslims want the best for their fellow man, so I think the best we can really do is to focus on our own action, correct them and do dua for everyone that Allah swt may grant them with peace as well.

"A true Muslim is thankful to Allah in prosperity, and resigned to His will in adversity."

[url=http//

"yuit" wrote:

I always believe that a person action speaks much more loudly then words and as Muslims I think this is something we should concentrate more on.

Good post

esp ^^^ bit

Indeed arrogance is a grea malady, one that I suffer from, make dua for me.

But I dont think that necesarily just cos you point out the faults of deviants and misguided sects that makes you arrogant. Infact it is one of the duties of the muslims to PREVENT VICE, so the act of preaching against deviation is not in itself either arrogant or bad, infact it could be a great virtue.

I think, pointing out the deviancy or innovations of others isnt arrogant, it's arrogant wen one considers HIMSELF to be perfect.

I profess my imperfections.

BUT, again I must reiterate this point again. It is in british culture not to condemn people in regards to their religious conviction or practice, and this aspect of british culture permeates into muslims who are involved heavily with secular/british way of life. It should be noted, and infact any objective person can see, that Islaamic history is jewelled with individuals and groups who went around exposing the fallacies of the liars and the deviant sects. It is because of THEIR work that the Ahlus Sunnah wal Jama'ah is still with us.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"yuit" wrote:
I think what you have wrote is very true.

It does seem to me that the Muslims currently look for superiority in words rather then action, which is why some go around condemning everyone. This is one of the reasons that the Muslims seem to be in the position that they are currently. Arrogance is something I think we are all affected by, and something we all have in us. It just that the action of some seem to highlight it more in some then others. Plus people do look for what I perceive as minor faults in each other, as a way to seek some sort of upper hand.

Very true.

I heard Shaikh Humza Yusuf say that "obedience is a gift from Allah (swt)" and if we look down at others who may be "misguided" and think low of them Allah (swt) may take away their faults and give them to us...

Yes. Personally I view it thus, I think that all sins, big or small should be pointed out and discouraged and at same time every small or big act of virute should be encouraged.

So for me drinking alcohol, neglecting salah, shaving, unveiling, swearing, littering, having hands clasped with fingers interlocking before salah, etc all should be discouraged. Thats my view.

Similarly every small act of virtue should be encouraged, so a person who works in an offlicence but doesnt drink the alcohol, his act of not imbibing himself should be praised and encouraged, the girls who wear headscarf and jeans, should be encouraged in regards to headscarf and NOT be told to remove it (this is the womens job obviously), or one who fasts but doesnt pray, I STILL say that his feeling ashamed to eat in the day should be encouraged, and he shouldnt be told that dont bother not eating cos u not praying.

I knw ppl will disagree with some of the points, lol, but thats the way I see it.

So I think the non-sunnah haircut should be shunned, the sunnah haircut adopted. The sunnah way of drinking water adopeted, the anti sunnah way shunned. Down even to the manner of paring the nails.

Some say this is being to picky and pedantic, thats their view and they welcome to it, but the way I see it if I point out even a ''minor'' sin and as a result som1 stops this act then Iexpect my ALLAH to reward me, similarly if I encourage a person that do this virtue, even if in comparison to drugs problems, fornication problems etc my encouraging a seemingly insignifant virtue does not address the big problems, I still will act on it and expect reward.

SubhanALLAH! I have found such an approach to be both good in gaining peoples confidence and in also making my own imaan stronger. This way the people I know, alhamdulillah, are aware that if they come infront of me with a nonsunnah haircut I will point it out, so they cover their heads with topi, that if I see them do miswak after having a spliff, then they know I will encourage that.

Alhamdulillah, it works, for me at any rate.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

Salaam

I don't think anyone said that you shouldnt speak out against what is wrong.

The issue raised is regarding condemning and judging others and making them feel low and considering oneself perfect and better then others….Its about considering yourself saved and “guided” and everyone else “misguided”…its about being aware that Shaytaan wasn’t lacking in knowledge or devotions yet was kicked out of heaven due to his arrogant attitude…

Please do not get sidetracked. If you wish to speak out “encouraging what is good and forbidding what is evil” then start a new topic.

Wasalaam

k, sorry.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

Salam

I think the pious lady is still confused on this issue because she has yet to define for herself precisely what "arrogance" is.

A religious person CANNOT be arrogant; and an arrogant person CANNOT be religious.

Omrow

"Omrow" wrote:

A religious person CANNOT be arrogant; and an arrogant person CANNOT be religious.

tru

but too many "aparently" religious people come across as being arrogant

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

but too many "aparently" religious people come across as being arrogant

a religious person duznt nessessarily hav to b a learned person, but jus a person who performs salat 5 times a day but duznt kno much else, so mayb thas the type of people that come across as above evry1 else n arragant.

im not sayin always. jus sayin mayb

_____________- -SupeRazor- -_______________

Some ppl make their goals the stars.
They may live n die n never reach the stars,
but in the darkness of the night, those stars will guide them to their destination.
Becuz they made them in their eyesight

humility is asign of piety.

if someone is banging their head against the floor 20,000 times a day, it does not make the person a better muslim.

Arrogance is a curse that can ruin all your good deeds.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:

if someone is banging their head against the floor 20,000 times a day, it does not make the person a better muslim.

of course not

but thats how society measure "religiousness" that and the beard :roll:

I've realised not all bearded guys are good :? there are many that go around calling other muslims kaffir ect, how do they know that that very person is not a hafiz, or is studying abt islam ect, thats what ticks me off :evil: some girls are like that aswell, we shld all think abt ourselves, what we can do to improve ourselves, rather than lookin at the faults of others.

' Nay, verily! With me is my Lord, He will guide me ' {2662}

Salaam

There is a story about two angels that were sent to Earth. As we know, angels have no freewill and are incapable of doing anything wrong. When Allah (swt) heard them tutting about the sins that humans commit, He sent them down to Earth and gave them free will...

In one night they saw a woman they desired, got drunk on alcohol, murdered the woman’s guardian and crossed the limits ordained by Allah (swt)….In other words it’s easy to criticise others when one has never known what it is like to be tempted.

We’re all weak and strong in different aspects of Islam…some may find it easy to cover and hard to pray and vice versa….

Some are weaker in some aspects of Islam and stronger in others…it’s all too easy to judge and look down at those who succumb to temptation.

Wasalaam

this story is a fabrication, it is taken from jewish scriptures.

it is a baseless lie.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Med" wrote:
this story is a fabrication, it is taken from jewish scriptures.

it is a baseless lie.

Your entitled to your views.

Religious arrogance irritates the hell out of me. I see it usually with conversion happy people... they just can't seem to take a hint.

You keep telling them you aren't interested in converting and having "this conversation" but they just don't stop.

Hell they don't even have to be muslim. I've been approached by fundamentalists all the time asking me to "shed my heretical ideas"
and accept Jesus.

...gee I thought I already had.

It's perfectly fine to be secure in your beliefs, but when somebody says they aren't up for your sermon you gotta back down.

It's a matter of courtesy.

Actions speak louder than words anyway

"MuslimSister" wrote:
"Constantine" wrote:
SLAP

Who are you slapping Dave-Me? :?

lol no no.

I thought your response was hilarious - it was so ridiculously forward and unsubstantiated of Med I had the idea you were sitting somewhere in England thinking "ookay... i'm sure there is a polite way out of this... somewhere..."

lol it was a verbal slap in what could have been a deliciously awkward situation.

and for the love of God Med, turn off hidden mode we all know you are there.

"Constantine" wrote:

You keep telling them you aren't interested in converting and having "this conversation" but they just don't stop.

Hell they don't even have to be muslim.

which is why i dont see the point in trying to convert you.....your a good decent guy as it is. altho i would be chuffed if you converted, its no biggy.
everyones time comes.

some people dont understand that

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

lol thanks darth.

Nobody I can think of has really pushed the envelope on this site (at least nobody who posts anymore).

Others elsewhere can't take no for an answer

I agree with Hayder. Personally, I think you one of the best guys I know....and if you were Muslim you'd be perfect.

But no one likes people who shove their beliefs down other people throats. It makes one run away and puts you off the religion and the preacher....and to me, this manifests arrogance too.

Everyone should be tolerant of other people's beliefs. Even if they disagree with them...like you are on this forum.

Salam

Look Muslim Sister. You yourself are yet not a tolerant person.

Therefore, stop pointing fingers; and stop preaching tolerance.

You are not arrogant. But you are as intolerant as Med; only in your own different subtle ways.

Sometimes you display tolerance. But that fact is that part time tolerance is no tolerance.

Infact, if I may say that other than Seraph, I don't know of any other tolerant person on this forum.

Omrow

my sister is tolerant-she don't give a crap what others are on

have u ever come across her cussing people's weirdo views?

she even tolerates u and weirdo ur mousy men-women slapping theory's :roll:

"Omrow" wrote:
Biased defence.

i aint biased-I live with the girl-I know what she's like

-she aint arrogant but she is stubborn

but she never cuss's others-if she disagree's with people she lets them be

if she don't like people she ignores them

tolerance is to let people be-regardless of how weird they are

anyways-who cares

stick to the topic-cos I aint a very tolerant person and if u wind me u I'll have to attck you :twisted:

Pages