British non-muslims hold very negative views towards Muslims & Islam

Acccording to a study by a majority of Britons have a negative view of Islam.

The study summarises its findings:

• 5% described Islamic dawah (proselytising) material as quite positive and very positive.
  • 71% had never did not come into contact with any dawah material.
  • 70% did not change their perceptions about Islam after coming into contact with dawah material.
  • 14% slightly worsened or significantly worsened.
  • 76% had never spoken to a Muslim about Islam.
  • 63% had no change in their perception after interacting with a Muslim.
  • 13% had perceptions that significantly worsened or slightly worsened.
  • 62% preferred not to receive any information about religion.
  • 27% had negative perceptions regarding Muslims
  • 75% believed Islam and Muslims had provided a negative contribution to society
  • 32% believed that Muslims are a major cause of community tension
  • 2% responded positively concerning perceptions about Islamic law
  • 76% did not agree to the statement that Muslims positively engage in society
  • 36% did not know who the Prophet Muhammad was

Interesting..

Its just another poll.

Ask them the right question in the right way and you will get a response.

Ask them about Iraq, afghanistan. Ask them about the isecurity, the murders committed there either directly by coalition forces or causes due to their presense or destabilising influence.

Most dont want to think about such things and do not want to complicate their pretty lives knowing that things are linked.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

75% believed Islam and Muslims had provided a negative contribution to society

thats a lot of people...

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

You wrote:
Its just another poll.

Yes, but conducted by the Islamic Education and Research Academy!

Vocalist wrote:
You wrote:
Its just another poll.

Yes, but conducted by the Islamic Education and Research Academy!

....?

He is trying to say that it is not some random poll, but one carried out by Muslims so should be more credible to Muslims.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Not just Muslims, but an organisation devoted to dawah. This study was conducted for the sole purpose of giving an insight into the mindset of the local population that this organisation is proselytising to.

I doubt I can do anything about it, so I cant see the point of worrying about such things.

You need to go deeper than just closed question polls, why and in what way have the perceptions got worse? Obviously if Dawa is done in a pretty bad way then people would be more hostile. No?

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

Well, the poll must have been ordered because of difficulties with their current methods in attracting new converts. I know people like to point out that Islam is the fastest growing religion, but if Atheism or Agnosticism were considered religions I would think in the west they would rival or even beat Islam (statistically speaking).

Also, Islam has a huge image problem. Ask most people on the street to name a famous Muslim and they would not say "Mohammad Ali" as they might have done years ago, but would now think of radical preachers who are the current bogey men in the media.

And I think there is now a movement against Islamic proselytisation! Geert Wilders latest film "Islam Rising" is basically a shock doc designed to fuel hate and drawing attention to dawah, as if Muslims had to keep their religion to themselves... But anyway, in this film he gets a whole bunch of people talking about how "the Muslims" are slowly but surely taking over western society and imposing sharia. And then elsewhere on youtube you will find a video of Anjem Choudary converting a young boy at what looks like a market stall along with links to countless videos of various imams and Islamic figures telling the camera that punishment for leaving Islam is death.. All in all, not a great image for "dawah"! But this just reminds me of what the Nazis did with the Jews in terms of propaganda, or more precisely the Americans when they referred to "them commies".

Personally, my thoughts on Islam are constantly changing. I no longer view Islam as Islam. Every time I ask a Muslim a question I get a different answer to the same question I asked another Muslim. Fact is, Islam is fragmented as much as Christianity (if not more). It is a pluralistic religion, with many interpretations of what is and what isn't Islamic. And so, I think in time, the Islam of the UK will differ a lot from the Islam of the Arab peninsula, just as the Islam of Malaysia differs from how Arabs practice and preach it.

The advantage in Islam's favour is that it can win over hearts and inds of its own.

People may look into it to learn because they want to load up on the ammo against Islam but that could be enough to get them hooked.

Fact is, Islam is fragmented as much as Christianity (if not more)

Disagree with that - it is fragmented and that fragmentation in many cases is allowed and a strength, but it is not on the same philosophical level as christianity which has its splits on a more fundamental level.

With Islam, while you get many varying interpretations, the status of teh qur'an and the hadith etc is pretty unanimous within most muslims. People use those sources to get to different verdicts (where there can be multiple right answers) but that is not the same as christianity where you can get much more basic questions.

This is where you and I will disagree. Looking into Islam has a varying level of effects, some repulse and become anti Islamic, some convert, and some just shrug their shoulders and look at it as more religious mumbo jumbo. Douglas Murray was a Christian until he studied the Quran, now he is an Atheist. I have looked into Islam and own a copy of the Quran, yet have felt no inspiration from it. My opinion of Islams prophet Muhammad is that he was a very clever man who crafted a religion and sold it to the Arabs to gain power (not that I think that was his original intention).

Some think that the lack of central authorities gives Islam a strength lacking in other religions. Again I disagree here! Too many Muslims ask the same old questions, is this haram? Is that haram? They face a barrage from people with different opinions all telling them what is the "legitimate" Islam and the proper way and thus lack the ability to just live their lives knowing that they are observing their religious tenets without some doubt in their mind that they are not a "practicing Muslim".

You wrote:
I doubt I can do anything about it, so I cant see the point of worrying about such things.

You could talk to people about Islam.
Last week, esp one night we had a proper deep conversation about Islam and hijab, niqab, homosexuality, and other stuff and although at times i wasn't sure what i should reply back when my 21 year old team mentor was asking me things and saying stuff in a way in which i just thought "o crap wth am i supposed to reply to that!" at the end she was still like you two [other muslim roomate] should talk to non-muslims more often because between you, you have a lot of knowledge and there are lots of clueless people out there!

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

@ vocalist - you win some, you lose some. Some will find Islam, even if their motives were ulterior, others will not. It is God's job to guide.

Have you read the life story of the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) too? People in around Makkah did offer the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) power if he was willing to desist from preaching Islam. The tribes there saw the power of what he was preaching and how it would change things and they offered something that was pretty new in the bedouin arab culture - leadership. He Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) would be their king.

They even offered to pray to God if he Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) prayed to theirs too, and to this the surah kaafiroon was revealed which ended in the verse "to you your religion, to me mine".

Maybe it wont inspire everyone, but then again the qur'an also does say something like if God had wanted everyone to be of one faith, he would have done that.

Some will be inspired by Islam and the qur'an, others wont. Some may even be repelled.

But the fact that people may study it, even with ulterior motives, gives hope as while everyone may not be, atleast some will be inspired.

You might have heard the story of Hadhrat Umar (ra) and how he accepted Islam - he had left his house in order to strike the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) down. By the time he arrived at where the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was, he was ready to submit.

Sounds familiar, Jesus on the mountain offered an entire civilization and untold power if he bows down before the devil. To an Atheist this is a familiar story, one of declining great offers to pursue a noble cause and in the end triumphing over them.

And, yes I have read up on Muhammad. Although I have not gone to too many lengths in that read up. I also watched a documentary produced by Muslims celebrating his life. The only none Muslim within that documentary is Karen Armstrong who has written a number of books on the subject. But yes, I am aware of the life of your prophet Muhammad and yes I know of the story of his revelations. His rise to power and the battles he had, etc. All of which does not convince me as countless men have claimed divine revelations and/or powers and have built empires on those believers.

Vocalist wrote:
This is where you and I will disagree. Looking into Islam has a varying level of effects, some repulse and become anti Islamic, some convert, and some just shrug their shoulders and look at it as more religious mumbo jumbo. Douglas Murray was a Christian until he studied the Quran, now he is an Atheist. I have looked into Islam and own a copy of the Quran, yet have felt no inspiration from it. My opinion of Islams prophet Muhammad is that he was a very clever man who crafted a religion and sold it to the Arabs to gain power (not that I think that was his original intention).

Some think that the lack of central authorities gives Islam a strength lacking in other religions. Again I disagree here! Too many Muslims ask the same old questions, is this haram? Is that haram? They face a barrage from people with different opinions all telling them what is the "legitimate" Islam and the proper way and thus lack the ability to just live their lives knowing that they are observing their religious tenets without some doubt in their mind that they are not a "practicing Muslim".

OK Vocalist, it's good that you're reading and exploring. We would ask you to keep an open mind, some "translations" are more accurate and user friendly than others.The Abdullah Yusuf Ali one is amazing!

The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) already had power, and lots of it. So he didn't need to start a new cult! But I would ask you something: If he was a liar (and illiterate) then why did Allah correct him in the Quran (Admin could you give the reference from the Surah Abasa/He Frowned)? Why did he put Mariam/Mary as the best of women? How could he have known about techtonic plates, the moon reflecting the suns light, every living thing being made of water (he lived in the Arabian desert remember!) Just something for you to think about and ponder, mate. Smile

But I agree that the conduct of many Muslims need to change, and to give a ruling you NEED to know not only about Islam but also the society you live in, see Islam is a very pragmatic and rational religion, there are general rules but they are adaptable in certain situations; you'll have to talk to a scholar to know exactly what are these situations.

On a final note, Islam is not about a list of thou shalts and thou shalt nots, I think that's what you were hinting at. I would advise people to engage intellectually and spiritually with Islam, if there is a Study Circle near you that trains you to clear your mind and focus the I would definately recommend it. It can really inspire you. But you've got to bite the cake to taste it! Smile

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
You wrote:

You could talk to people about Islam.

It's really awkward when you talk to non-muslims about heaven and hell. One conversation i had that week:

flatmate: So am i going to go to hell because i don't believe in Islam?
me: well i have no right to say whether you're going to hell or heaven, only God can decide that. You may have done a lot of good in your life and God may decide you deserve to go to heaven
f.m: yeah thats what i mean, how can people just condemn others to hell because. They may not believe in Islam but there are still good people out there with morals.
me: yeah i know which is why we have no right to judge...but as muslims we are promised heaven after we've been punished for our sins but non-muslims aren't promised this.

The convo went something like that ^. Do you think i could have answered more tactfully? was any of that rude? how could i improve on my answer?

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Some thoughts on that:

1. Intentions matter.

2. It's not us who decides who goes to hell, but God. So in essence we are not condemning people to hell.

3. Without faith, how do you know that a specific action is moral? For some you can by thinking about the matter, but there may be complications where it is not as simple - for instance marriage and sexual relations.

4. Ignorance is not always an excuse - it can only be used as an excuse if the people have not gone out of their way to avoid the guidance (or have searched for it sincerely but not found it.)

OK, Mashallah you did alright, it could have been a lot worse. I'm guessing you weren't expecting it?

Yeah you are right that who goes to Heaven/Hell is the decision of Allah (swt) and His alone, every case gets judged on its own merits. But I would have explained the meaning of the word Muslim/Islam (one who submits to God/submission to God) and explained how everyone from Adam to Muhammad (pbut) were Muslims so long as they did what God wanted them to.

I would've pointed out that the only two objective ways to judge what's morally right is either by looking at something divine or by going by whatever society classes as good (obviously there are many problems with that approach).

I would've left it there, it's good to make him/her think and ponder.
Just one question; when you mentioned Muslims being punished for their sins and then going to heaven, why did you say that? Surely we should have faith in the Mercy of Allah?
I'm not having a go, just asking. Wink

I don't know if you read my other comment but yeah it was a random conversation starting with hijab, going on to other stuff like homosexuality and then heaven and hell.

What do you mean about the mercy of Allah? :S i just said that bit to explain why some people may say that Muslims are going to heaven and non-muslims aren't.

It's just that you wrote "Muslims are promised heaven after being punished for our sins."
Which seems just a little bit weird. But that's just me.

The Lamp wrote:
It's just that you wrote "Muslims are promised heaven after being punished for our sins."
Which seems just a little bit weird. But that's just me.

weird in what way? :S its just the truth...or how i've been told it, anyway.

The "after being punished for our sins" bit, seems like purgatory (which doesn't exist in Islam).

hmm, can anyone else clear this up?
cuz i've heard/read [can't remember which, if not both] that I-m so happy and that all Muslims will go to heaven eventually :S

Oh right I think I know what you're getting at! I thought you mean ALL Muslims will go to hell then Heaven!

oh! lol no