UK to extradite British terror suspect to US

[u]"UK to extradite British terror suspect to US[/u]

ISN SECURITY WATCH (16/11/05) – London has approved the extradition of a [b]British citizen[/b], Babar Ahmad, to the [b]US[/b] to face [b]terrorism charges[/b], prompting criticism from human rights campaigners and outrage among the British Muslim community.

Lawyers representing Ahmad, a computer expert from south London, say he may face the [b]death penalty [/b]if transferred to the US, despite having previously been interrogated and released without charge by British authorities.

The 31-year-old Briton is accused of running websites inciting terrorism and urging Muslims to join a holy war.

US authorities claim that since 1997 he has been involved in "conspiring to support terrorism", and "sought, invited and solicited contributions" via websites and e-mails.

The British Home Office said it had "given full consideration" to representations made on behalf of Ahmad, but on Wednesday announced it had decided there was no case to deny the extradition request.

Ahmad's family said they would appeal the order in the High Court.

The controversy surrounding the high-profile case centers on two issues: that Ahmad was previously arrested by British authorities and [b]released without charge[/b], and that under a new law, the US is [b]not required to provide detailed evidence[/b] of the case against him."

Very dangerious these new laws are. Especially as they're very subjective.

Passing laws like this is xactly how the liberties of the free people die.

If u ask me (and most ppl do) this is all one big giant ellaborate witch hunt.

Back in BLACK

May ALLAH grant abundant reward to the people concerned, may they be granted a most beautiful patience. May ALLAH Rabbul Izzat grant the wife of the one concerned modesty and bashfulness and make her an obedient and loyal wife. May He Rabbul Izzat make the situation light on the people, and grant them the sweetest imaan.

ameen Ya Rabb.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

ameen thuma ameen.

these PPL get me SO angry..

I'll be following this closely.

But as I said in the other thread I don't know much about the case and my initial intuition is against Babar.

What makes everyone so sure he isn't guilty?

i didnt say he wasnt guilty.

I just supplicated for him.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Med" wrote:
i didnt say he wasnt guilty.

I just supplicated for him.

I was talking in general - there are all these campaigns to "save Babar" that seem to presume a level of innocence that goes well beyond the legal standard...

I'm just curious if I am missing something about this case, like if both his wrists were broken during the time period or something

I think previously there was no evidence presented to support the extradition.

Just a statement that he is involved.

No Idea if anything has changed

this topic was being discuees ion another topic aswell:

we will continue the topic here...

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I'm unfamiliar with your laws but I assume evidence was presented on and against his behalf for it to be considered due process...

lol if it wasn't he may actually be better off in a US court because he'd be gauranteed it

Quote:
Press Release: Tuesday 15th November 2005
“EXTRADITE BABAR AHMAD”, DECIDES HOME SECRETARY

We, the family of Babar Ahmad, have received today the news that the Home Secretary has decided to extradite Babar to the United States. This is a sad day for Britain and an even sadder day for British Muslims. In effect this sends a message to British Muslims that there is no “legal and democratic” means to air your concerns: you must use other ways to get justice. We utilised every “legal and democratic means” to fight this decision. We held protests, wrote letters, lobbied MPs and compiled petitions of over 15,000 signatures, some even from as far away as New Zealand; but all of this amounted to nothing to the Government. This did however, show the world how many people have come together bravely in the fight for justice.

The US has clearly demonstrated to the world its total disregard for International Law. Vice-President Dick Cheney is seeking to legalise torture. Just today we have seen reports of Spain and other European countries launching investigations against the CIA. These all centre on claims that the CIA has been secretly kidnapping terror suspects to third countries to facilitate torture. If the floodgates for extradition are allowed to be opened, it will be British Muslims that will be targeted; the very people the British Government was hoping to win support from in “the fight against terrorism.”

Babar, speaking from Woodhill Prison in Milton Keynes, said today: “This decision should only come as a surprise to those who thought that there was still justice for Muslims in Britain. I entrust my affairs to Allah and His Words from the Quran, “And when the two armies saw one another, the companions of Moses said, “Indeed we are finished.” Moses said: “No! Indeed, with me is my Lord and He will guide me.”’[1] O Allah, You have seen what they have done to me. O Allah, avenge my injustice. In Allah we put our trust.”

The family will be appealing against this prejudiced decision at the High Court. Our resolve remains firm in the fight for justice for Babar.

For further enquiries please contact Mrs Ahmad on 07963 537 779

Email:

15th November 2005

recieved the above as an email....

what rights does america have over babar ahmed? why cant he be trailed here in britain...i dont understand

Our justification for requestion his extradition is that his crimes are a felony against the people of the United States.

The British justification for handing him over I cannot answer for.

I assume if he appeals to the High Court it's very possible there will be a clearer answer on that.

And HEY I am a little insulted by all the insinuation.

Even if he goes to a military court he can appeal to the civilian courts - and our civil courts are pretty much the standard of criminal justice for the rest of the world.

In fact if we had signed the Rome treaty our troops wouldn't have even had to stand before the ICC, since they said our courts would suffice.

for me the issue is nto whether he is guilty or not, he may very well be guilty.

the point for me is that previously our govt found no case against him. he is now being tried in another country.

the penalty may be death penalty, but that is not lawful in British laws.

i dont understand why he can be tried for the maximum penalty in another country- who does not have to answer to anyone and USA does not have to explain its actions.

how do the public actually know what is going on and why? it creates fear and anger among others for this precise reason.

So it's the death penalty, suspicion of the US government giving him a fair trial, and you think the British didn't give his case a fair consideration right?

1- call me conservative, but i dont agree with death penalty. punish him by all means if he is guilty, but only god can punish, but thats a whole different territory, and maybe a thread shd be started on that.

2- the british govt released him without charge previously, suggesting that they did not have enough evidence to convict him.

but im not doing law, so may have misunderstood

"Constantine" wrote:
suspicion of the US government giving him a fair trial,

im afraid im suspicious of my own govt if they conceal points from the public.

there is corruption at all levels, govt and law is no exception

"fizzy1" wrote:
1- call me conservative, but i dont agree with death penalty. punish him by all means if he is guilty, but only god can punish, but thats a whole different territory, and maybe a thread shd be started on that.

I thought the death penalty existed in Shariah as well.

"fizzy1" wrote:
2- the british govt released him without charge previously, suggesting that they did not have enough evidence to convict him.

That could actually be indicative of the necessity to indict - they cannot bring up evidence of a crime not against the crown; but if there was a due process violation am I correct in asserting you feel the law ought to hold over public safety?

"fizzy1" wrote:
but im not doing law, so may have misunderstood

Doesn't mean you don't have a right to an opinion.

I just don't understand why muslims are so up tight about the Babar Ahmed case:

My kneejerk reaction is that this case is a sort of microcosm or better yet a representation of a larger issue of muslims in the UK; and my second kneejerk reaction is that the islamic community is kneejerk reacting to the indictment "who cares if he's guilty, he's a muslim so we have to prevent the americans from getting him."

So i'm just trying to feel my way around the case to get a better picture of what is going on.

"fizzy1" wrote:
"Constantine" wrote:
suspicion of the US government giving him a fair trial,

im afraid im suspicious of my own govt if they conceal points from the public.

there is corruption at all levels, govt and law is no exception

That's true...

So I take it you think that they are witholding information just to hurry his case along, and not because of any state security reasons?

Salam

I liked the old American system which said that a person is innocent until proven guilty.

The new system says that everyone is guilty until cleared.

Omrow

"Omrow" wrote:
Salam

I liked the old American system which said that a person is innocent until proven guilty.

The new system says that everyone is guilty until cleared.

Omrow

Proof?

Salam

No.

" We have undeniable proof but we cannot disclose it."

[ Rumsfeld laughter ]

" It is YOU, who now have to prove your innocence."

Omrow

Don't have to.

The system of Due Process stands for itself - and the investigative stage has always acted under the presumption of guilt.