Keep God Out Of The Classroom

Salaam

“Keep God out of class. One would have thought that 7/11 would see off religious schools for good. And about time too!” Polly Toynbee (Guardian)

Tony Blair has said educating children in their faith is “consistent” with a muti-religious society.

However, Barry Sheerman who chairs the common education questioned the idea of a “ghettoised” system.

Recently a survey in the Guardian found that 64% of people opposed the idea of government funding for faith schools, that’s nearly 2/3 of the sceptical public.

So are faith schools a threat to social cohesion in Britain?

Discuss the pro’s and con’s of educating children in their own faith….bear in mind that the issue raised is discussing all faith schools-not just Islamic faith schools.

Wasalaam

It depends what is taught. I am aware that some Muslim schools in the UK (and I can't recall if this was pre- or post-9/11) used to glamorise jihad, with pictures of 'martyrs' on the walls and so on. I don't know if it was common, just that I verified this. I think that schools with illiberal teachings on present-day politics commit a disgusting offense. Many children go on to perpetuate such vile energies. If it is just a matter of preserving religious practise, of course there is nothing wrong with faith schools, and to forbid them seems to me a tragedy. It is the sort of thing that makes me very upset with the Muslim community.

"100" wrote:
I am aware that some Muslim schools in the UK (and I can't recall if this was pre- or post-9/11) used to glamorise jihad, with pictures of 'martyrs' on the walls and so on. I don't know if it was common, just that I verified this.

Where did you hear/read about this?

I was told about it by someone whose friend had business with a particular school, and when I was in the area I went along as if to speak to someone, and it was very evident just from the first and only corridor I saw that I had been told the truth.

"100" wrote:
I was told about it by someone whose friend had business with a particular school, and when I was in the area I went along as if to speak to someone, and it was very evident just from the first and only corridor I saw that I had been told the truth.

What school was this and what did you see in the corrider?

Sorry for being cynical but I don't think a school in this country can get away with doing anything like this.

MuslimSister,

It was in Lambeth. Sorry for witholding details, even if it will leave you cynical and sorry.

People are always trying to turn God into the nations dirty little secret. I can't wait until we start printing "in this we trust" on our money. At least it would be more accurate.

I have always thought that those who are not introduced to and taught religion at a yung age are the ones who turn extreme.

I was taught about compassion in Islam long before iot became a fashionable statemtnet uttered by pundits. It actually meant something.

Adult learning is politicised. We learn things we agree with.We study with thise we agree.

As kids we learn what we a re taught.

If someone does not learn about islam as a kid, and at about 17 has a look at the outside world, and sees death and destruction, they have a choice to learn about compassion, or about revenge. They should already have been taught this, as at this age it is too late.

The elder generation will have already betrayed the youth. Their voice on compassion would be maligned.

PS Nothing wrong with glorifying Jihad (military of personal). But terrorism should be analysed and it should be made sure nothing of the sort is glorified.

In short I believe the less muslims are taught islam at a young age, the more radicals we will have. The youth will not have a basis for comparison.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Admin very good post and i agree with everything especially the end. but despite this as Dave says the world wants to banish God and turn secular leaving religious education in the trust of parents

i feel that freedom to choose your education is a necessary step towards an enlightened world, but if inciteful practices exist as 100 suggests then the schools should be monitored more carefully by people who know their religion.

i personally feel that all schools should be subject to major curriculum change where histroy etc is concerned and all religions should be offered up for study, then there may not be a need for separate schools.

I say let them. In their own private schools.

If they do not want any religious aducation, they can open private schools.

Just like if you want a special education in a special subject you have to go for a provate school.

But public schools must teach about religions, their histories, their conflicts, their similarities etc.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

i think everyone should be educated in theri own faith

all religions teach only good stuff

and 100man tell me more about that imaginay school u heard about :roll: :roll:

It does not have to be imaginary.

After all our positions on israel are diametrically opposed.

If choosing a private school for education, you must make sure it is good though. There can be shockers.