Recession

Salaam,

Has anyone been effected by it? I'm pretty sure the dire financial situation in the UK has directly or indirectly effected people's lives - you may be in employment, a recent graduate or looking for work. Or you may know someone that has had he/her life turned upside down because of it.

A family friend I know has been made redundant 4times in one year and he has a young family.

As a teacher, my salary has been capped for two years.

The recession led to my father and my father in law take early retirement.

My brother - a recent graduate cant find a graduate job.

And the recession has forced me and my husband to live like ex pats overseas.

Has the recession effected anyone else?

Wasalam

Its not as easy to walk into a job these days, but I am sure that is more me than the recession at play.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

well..even if the recession had affected me in any way, knowing myself ( and i hope i know enough) i wouldnt have noticed.

I dont pay attention to little details.

Blum 3

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

When I graduated last year I applied for around 400 jobs and was rejected for all of them. So I decided to do my masters hoping that after finishing studies it would be easier to get a job. I was wrong. Before I could atleast apply for jobs and get rejected, now I cannot even find many suitable jobs to apply to.

I either lack experience for well-paid jobs, or I'm over-qualified (and lack experience) for entry level jobs, so I'm stuck in between. You need experience to work so people who lack experience can't find work.

Luckily for me I still live with my parents (like most Asians) so it's not as bad as some people who have been made homeless because they can't pay their rent/mortgage.

However even if I'm quite comfortable, I do not like the idea of waking up at 12pm and staying at home all day even if I spend it beneficially. I don't know about your parents but my parents like comparing me to others and make you feel like cr@p as they tell you what other people's children are doing and how much they're earning whilst your a lazy bum.

Even if you may be looking for work it is not good enough. The blame falls on you as it is assumed that if you can't find a job then you must be doing something wrong as there are other people working. So if other people can find work, then so can you!

I recently went to a preliminary interview for quite a successful marketing company and there were people coming in every 5mins, it was crazy. Never seen so many people coming in for interviews.

One guy I know graduated a few years back and has been working part-time in a supermarket and he can't find a suitable job. He also wants to get married but can't until he can find a full-time job.

It does get depressing sometimes....

Keep your chin up and DO NOT GO INTO MARKETING/SALES.

Do not even apply for them jobs unless you have no intention to follow up a career in the studies you did.

Your parents will be on your back, but that is what parents do. You know what you are doing, and you know that you are not simply scrounging on their good will/generosity.

Keep applying for related jobs, even if they are more basic than you need. You just need to convince the people that you will not work in a few weeks/months, but go that way.

if you go into sales/marketing now, you will msot likely regret it 5 years down the line, wondering why you are stuck in a dead end with no future.

Don't apply for any job that comes your way. Don't take any job that comes your way. Be picky. It may seem to be a bad idea or even elitist to hold out for a better job, but that is the only way you will ever have even an iota of a chance to get one.

Oh and congrats over your Masters. Nicely done.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

If he wants to do sales and marketing forever and ever, by all means he should go for it.

If he wants to use the course he has done then IMO going into sales and marketing is like ten or twenty thousand steps backwards. May aswell not have gone to uni. He would be richer and not only would he not have the student loans and such stuff, he would also have earned money in the same time period.

But this is my personal opinion and others may have fared differently. Personal experience plays for a lot here.

Ocean wrote:
In fact, here's a fact... right now NO other business is doing as well as the sales and marketing industry, why? because for clients it is the most cost effective (below the line) marketing... totally a win-win situation!

The down side is that if you dont sell, they dont pay you...

...if people want to get somewhere, they need to be able to pay the bills and still have more left over to build a life.

I assume he will want a home and other savings etc eventually for when he is ready to give up his party lifestyle.

Why is the dentist not practicing dentistry?

He could be earning a hundred grand a year...

What does he have to hide? He would have his own clinic, his own staff, his own hours. All the benefits of sales but with a guaranteed, larger cheque at the end of the month. Seems like madness to overlook that, especially when there is (I think) a shortage of dentists in the UK.

I wasn't trying to have my usual rant against sales, but just saying that it may not be right for him. If he wants a career in Sales, yes it would mean he needs to do that, get into it heads first. But if he is not planning to go into sales, getting it as a temporary solution is a wrong step.

I am not merely knocking sales and marketing here (though I do love to do that often enough). I am saying that if that is not his long term career ambition, he should not do it.

(I think selling on a market stall could be quite interesting... but it is laborious work.)

Thing is marketing/sales is not my thing but I just applied for it because I needed something to gain some experience and even told the guy at the preliminary interview that. I did get shortlisted though and they invited me around for a second interview where I would also be paired up with an experienced sales person for the whole day. Unfortunately it was on Friday and that would have meant me missing Jummuah. I emailed them to change the time/date but have heard nothing from them since so that's gone.

If I did go into marketing/sales then I would probably stay there for a few years max and then move on. I don't really like sales and I would rubbish at it as I don't like convincing people or insisting on something. If people don't like/want something then I just leave it.

If I was to apply for jobs only in the CJS then it would mean applying for only 1 vacancy a week as the vacancies in that area is really scarce for someone like me.

My degree is not really that useful for finding work in the CJS, however it is very useful (if not essential) for going up the career ladder once I'm in it.

isnt there somewhere a list of jobs where there is a shortage?

@MuslimBro - are there not any lesser jobs you can do that may be tangentially linked to your studies?

Maybe lab work, lab technician or even quality control in any food place - they would all need to analyuse stuff.

(I am assuming your course had a bit of chemistry in it?)

Course consisted of psychology, sociology and law. No chemistry.

Many of the institutions in my field are not even recruiting, such as the met police, mi5, ect. And SOCA was reported yesterday to be scrapped soon.

It wont be scrapped, but rebranded more or less - it will be killed and a new department opened up to do exactly the same thing.

Still, if you decide to do sales, a few years down the line you will have a stale degree where there will be fresh graduates off the production line competing with you and the experience of sales while potentially beneficial to you, will not really count for much in the chosen career path.

I applied for the sales and marketing job and got an interview... and I passed. It wasn't as hard as I expected it to be.

I would normally be over the moon considering its my first ever full-time job but I'm abit worried about the unstable salary. It also means that my Arabic classes will have to stop as the hours are quite long.

Sad

Ocean wrote:
AWESOME!

Sad

It's abit like marriage. You want to get married but you're not sure whether the person will kick you out from the house after a while.

get over it.

Its not for life and there is no messy divorce.

It is just work.

Think of it as something small and it becomes nothing to worry about and decision making becomes more simple.

No dude you don't understand.

I'm going to have to stop my Islamic studies if I decide to take up the job offer.

It also doesn't look good on CV, working for a few weeks/months.

Then don't take it.

Easy. (it always is when deciding for other people.)

Give it some thought and if you value the lessons more, keep them. It would be good for The Revival if you did as eventually we will have an individual who actually knows what he is talking about.

MuslimBro wrote:
It also doesn't look good on CV, working for a few weeks/months.

Why would it look bad? "seasonal work".

The real issue is about it clashing with the timetables of other activities.

Ocean wrote:
Fool It's nothing like marriage. Marriage is ... gross, but work is fun!

Feminist Blum 3

Can you get a part time job? in the afternoon?
Or maybe even teach in a madrassah/masjid (most of them round here happen after school) so that wouldnt clash. and you'll get paid. the thing is how badly do you need the money?

There are other people who are more qualified than me and even they can't get a job in a madrasah/school because of the limited number of places.

I'm not that desperate for money as I still live with my parents and I finish uni end of September.

I signed my contract today anyway.

well, allow us to congratulate you Smile

edit: just to say, if you've made istikharaah then you shouldnt worry too much.

Ocean wrote:
Now remember if you're not good, they'll get rid of you anyway Blum 3

Thanks for the encouragement.

Sorry i couldnt help being nosy... did u take the marketing job MuslimBro?

I applied to loads b4 i got this job and I have to tell u they are all scams. the marketing company is made to look as if it is all posh and legit but it all comes down to face to face sales

The interview process is usually the same... u apply for the job (in my case i applied through reed) and within hours u get an email/call inviting u in for the interview. when u get there you're impressed by the office but you cant help but notice the large number of candidates.. depending on the company they either give you a one to one interview or a group interview and 99% of the time they call you back the next day for the second stage... and the second day basically consists of "shadowing" an existing sales person... in my case I had to follow a sales person knock from door to door and once i was in a shopping centre hounding poor shoppers... the third time i got scammed again i really had enough cos again ended up shadowing someone knocking on peoples doors.. i remember it was raining really hard and i just had enough and jumped onto the bus i saw coming down the road lol

Saffy123 wrote:
Sorry i couldnt help being nosy... did u take the marketing job MuslimBro?

I did, and then left after a week.

Yeah, initial marketing interviews are like that. Loads of people are seen at the beginning and then they weed people out gradually. I was surprised at the few people who actually end up going out into the field. There's the initial interview, then main interview, training, written exam, and a trial week.

Door to door sales is something I wouldn't even apply to. Events based is not as bad.

Tell me about the scams more.

Ocean wrote:
and plus, I know for a fact that whoever gets kicked out of a company or leaves it a very early age, well they like to take their revenge in their own special way Blum 3

I have nothing against the company I was working for. I just didn't like it.

Ocean wrote:

There are people who don't like sales (like yourself and You)

Can I be added to this list please?

Have you actually done sales or not?

If so then share your experience.