Proms?!?

Someone I worked with mentioned that her son had gone to the prom last night and I think somneone on here mentioned their school having a prom too...

Is that not weird?

Maybe it is because I went to an Islamic school, but I had always thoyught that proms were something that only happened in America?

Was I wrong or is this a bit like trick or treating where it had managed to jump over the pond in a few places?

ours was called a "Ball" but everyone kept calling it a prom...

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

unfortunately all the distasteful aspects of american culture, always find their way over here. Proms we don't need them. After school party is fine in the sense; no pressure to attend, no pressure to get dressed up, no pressure to go with a partner, venue may just be school sports hall, rather than club, or hall. With the Proms i think theres more peer pressure to attend, definitely a must to go with a partner, a must to buy or hire formal outfit, a must to pay an expensive fee, because they are usually held in posh settings i.e expensive hotel venues, pressure to pay towards hired vehicle, i mean can't be seen in ball gown coming off a local bus, then that means you have to dance otherwise what's the point? I hate the idea. i guess muslims attend these now...?

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

Hajjar wrote:
I hate the idea.

totally agree...!!!

SKM

Im too cool for prom prom is not cool enough for me i pity anyone who has the complusion to go to such a lame event.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

-never went to the school one
-never went to the sixth form one
-went to one in first year but left really early
-plan to go to one next year

Prom is what you make of it.
i went to mine, my school was mostly asian.. 99% of the boys didnt come.. we didnt have partners..
we just went a 'last time to see evryone' typa thing.
we had year awards, and most of the people stayed just for this. there was hardly any dancing and we all left after the awards and the food.
it was just a fun casual evening out.

If you desire Allah to be persistent in granting you the things you love,, be persistent in doing the things that he loves - (Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal)

xSmurfy786x wrote:
Prom is what you make of it.
i went to mine, my school was mostly asian.. 99% of the boys didnt come.. we didnt have partners..
we just went a 'last time to see evryone' typa thing.
we had year awards, and most of the people stayed just for this. there was hardly any dancing and we all left after the awards and the food.
it was just a fun casual evening out.

sounds like more of a girly gathering

it actually wass,, gosh brings back sooo many memoriess Smile

If you desire Allah to be persistent in granting you the things you love,, be persistent in doing the things that he loves - (Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal)

xSmurfy786x wrote:
it actually wass,, gosh brings back sooo many memoriess Smile

There there.

Hajjar wrote:
unfortunately all the distasteful aspects of american culture, always find their way over here. Proms we don't need them. After school party is fine in the sense; no pressure to attend, no pressure to get dressed up, no pressure to go with a partner, venue may just be school sports hall, rather than club, or hall. With the Proms i think theres more peer pressure to attend, definitely a must to go with a partner, a must to buy or hire formal outfit, a must to pay an expensive fee, because they are usually held in posh settings i.e expensive hotel venues, pressure to pay towards hired vehicle, i mean can't be seen in ball gown coming off a local bus, then that means you have to dance otherwise what's the point? I hate the idea. i guess muslims attend these now...?

hmm i remember that pressure but i got over it and realised it was gna be lame. i didn't go in the end and even after hearing about what the evening i don't think i missed out on much Smile

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

now guys. what do you think of a prom..in a single sex school? Biggrin

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Lilly wrote:
now guys. what do you think of a prom..in a single sex school? Biggrin

i went to a single sex school! but people were gna bring boyfriends and stuff...

although most girls just came together as a group so it was probably a lot like smurfy's prom in that sense