Why is sci-fi godless?

Why is there never God in sci-fi?

There is one exception to this 'rule' of scifi, but apart from that everything always conforms.

So in scifi why is there no room for God?

Read Dune

It's sort of about Islam and Christianity - absolutely brilliant.

The scifi channel did an okay presentation - way better than the 70s movie. But they outdid themselves in 2003 when they presented "the children of dune" - which was amazing.

hmm.. will have to look into that.

Is it a book series first?

PS watched Crash. It was thought provoking.

I generally dislike edutainment/docusoaps etc as you cannot judge human reaction and they are generally naive, but that film was very enjoyable.

It must have been really good, as I generally only enjoy escapist stuff...

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
hmm.. will have to look into that.

Is it a book series first?

PS watched Crash. It was thought provoking.

I generally dislike edutainment/docusoaps etc as you cannot judge human reaction and they are generally naive, but that film was very enjoyable.

It must have been really good, as I generally only enjoy escapist stuff...

It was a book series first a whole bunch of them - it follows this royal family that moves to an alien planet to become governor and his life parallels Muhammad's greatly.

The other interesting thing is that the people he becomes the adoptive leader of are like considered "worthless" and are exploited for this spice their planet produces which is necessary for interspace travel - it's a real obvious parallel to oil.

I love the movie Crash - it's everything about race relations you know is true but dunno how to say.

i absolutely love sci/fi its my second fav after horror.

i think most sci/fi with the exception of Dune which to me is all Islamic about deserts of Arabia (Spice substituted for oil etc) it seems does leave God out as an outmoded concept in the new world.

However even in Star Trek there is one motion picture wich deals totally with finding the Creator so really though they may try to leave Him out He is never far from the writer's thoughts.

and Event Horizon well that's all about Hell

It seems impossible to travel the stars without having their Creator at the back of the mind

by the way is this a film thread - goody

by Dune, do you mean [url=

That is Dune (and also Dune Messiah) by Frank herbert.

There seems to be quite a bit of follow up stuff by other authors (children of Dune).

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
by Dune, do you mean [url=

That is Dune (and also Dune Messiah) by Frank herbert.

There seems to be quite a bit of follow up stuff by other authors (children of Dune).

Yes that's it "spot on" as you guys say.

The follow up children of dune is absolutely brilliant too - like Seema said the original is very islamic, I get the feeling children of Dune was deliberately more Christian due to that author's preference - they are both brilliant though.

Seems - whatd you think of Event Horizon?

event horizon watched it 3 times i think it is very good and very powerful horror and scifi what more could a girl want

mind you you may find it shlock because my fav film is Predator you can judge the standard of my taste!

"seema*" wrote:
event horizon watched it 3 times i think it is very good and very powerful horror and scifi what more could a girl want

lol I loved it - it gets kinda gruesome in the end which always unnerves me but Sam O Neil is so amazingly awesome.

That absolute last startle at the end literally made me jump outta my seat the first time I saw it

Sci-fi always has 'religion', but not 'god'.

as an example, the Star trek film was where man defeated a false 'god'.

I have not seen or read Dune, so I do not know...

The only series which does have god in it is the NEW BattleStar Galactica. (Rather good too).

In it humans are mushrik, and idolators. They create aartificial intelligance, which is Mu'ahid (believes in one true god), and does not believe that humans should exist due to their beliefs, and go about destroying all 13 'colonies' (planets) of man.

The religion aspect is hardly touched in the series though...

Just remembered. In Pitch Black, there are 'Muslim' characters.

Event Horizon? was that the one about that long ship? with that 'living' engine thing?

It did have religious overtones... but again no god. It was pretty good though.

almost disturbing...

I don't watch stuff like that anymore.

I remember when I did though this japanese cartoon called neon genesis evangelion.

Lot of refrences to kabbalah, christianity and judaism. In most episodes the characters have to fight an "angel" with the use of giant robots. The only islamic reference is that one of the angels is called Israfel (most likely cause' the episode had quite a musical theme and he is the angel of song).

Ironically the creator of all life in the series is the jewish character Lilith who in Judaism is an evil woman who is cast out of Eden. In this though she is all powerful.

yeah Pitch Black searching for the new Mecca what was all that about!

yeah Admin i know what u mean a bit of religious mumbo jumbo but no God. Its as if God's an embarrassment to the future or they dont need Him any more - just an old fashioned concept

perhaps in future scifi they'll bring Him back if He comes back into fashion

humans are so good at kidding themselves and taking credit for their own creation

horror movies on the other hand are getting increasingly more religious - I love that genre, that's what I liked about Event Horizon, it was like a religious horror scifi all in one

thats what i said what a treat

horror films i love the Omen

"seema*" wrote:
thats what i said what a treat

horror films i love the Omen

lol Gregory Peck!

That's a classic!

Did you see the Exorcism of Emily Rose?

no i didnt!!! whats that all about how come i missed that one i watched most horror films the b ones as well

"seema*" wrote:
no i didnt!!! whats that all about how come i missed that one i watched most horror films the b ones as well

its very good - it's about a girl who dies after an exorcism, the priest is put on trial and science competes with religion on what happens. They put up a convincing argument for both and you feel so confused the whole time.

It's based on a real exorcism in germany.

thanks constantine i'm going to get it and watch it- chow for now

"seema*" wrote:
thanks constantine i'm going to get it and watch it- chow for now

Gnight!

"Admin" wrote:
Why is there never God in sci-fi?

There is one exception to this 'rule' of scifi, but apart from that everything always conforms.

So in scifi why is there no room for God?

Cuz its all based on supernatural stuff, if there was a God in it then it wouldnt be as creepy as without a God in those movies?

Whole point of sci-fi is it is unexplainable and thats what keeps the viewers interested (personally not too big on them movies, they are scary :oops: )

scifi does not HAVE to be horror.

Starwars is also scifi.

For Horror, I saw this japanese film a few weeks ago, which was disturbing...

I am trying to think of the name...

"Admin" wrote:

Starwars is also scifi.

Yeh i know it doenst have to be scary but its got the certain "unexplainable" factor rubbish to it/

Starwars was when i watched it years bak but now if i were to watch it again i would be bored to tears!

Salam

Thanks to George Lucas, science fiction is now recognised as an official religion.

" May the Force be with you... always." [ Master Yoda ]

Omrow

"Omrow" wrote:
Salam

Thanks to George Lucas, science fiction is now recognised as an official religion.

" May the Force be with you... always." [ Master Yoda ]

Omrow

thats really funny and so true i think i was a scifist before i was anything else

"Admin" wrote:

Starwars is also scifi.

was it 'The Grudge'? the japanese version is definately unsettling

no...

The story is a film producer want his friend to get married. To find a bride he sets up an interview process for a non-existant film.

His friend chooses a partner. She tortures him. it has a few gruesome bits, but it is really unnerving.

(oh and for brilliant hong kong films, watch Infernal affairs. I have seen one of the trilogy, and it is really clever... Supposedly gonna be remade in hollywood. But they will not make a good version.)

"seema*" wrote:
was it 'The Grudge'? the japanese version is definately unsettling

That one freaked me out

geeeks Biggrin

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

"Darth V-Hayder" wrote:
geeeks Biggrin

lol yes and geekettes

Admin i'm definately going to get those films you mentioned especially infernal affairs first one seems a bit out of my range i dont like torture or icky stuff - just food old fashioned horror for me

Angels explanation sounds good and i also read Maya Angelou saying that the genre of horror was 'anti-life' which i thought was quite apt

Pages