ALCOHOL ABUSE IN THE MUSLIM COMMUNITY

SALAAM

I'm working on this issue for a future article in The Revival, some views and comments on the following issues would be helpful:

Alcohol abuse in the Muslim community:

does it exist?

is it big but under cover?

is it as bad as weed/coke amongst our youth?

do you know muslim youth personally who drink...or even drink openly?

do you know of ex-drinkers who have now become active practising Muslims?

is drinking alcohol not seen as a 'biggie' any more?

what would be the main reasons muslim youth drink?

is drinking alcohol related to attending clubs/ pulling?

is it because booze is so easily available at supermarkets etc?

who would you say is to blame? parents/society/individual/mosques/imams/nobody?

what about Muslim off licences- should they be boycotted?

pls share your views...

wasalaam

It exists, people drink.

Everyone goes to their own graves. I have gone off the idea of community justice. Leave it to God I say.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Wsalaams,

firstly why is the title in caps lock? Fool

to answer your questions
yes it exists,
yes i know youth who drink
i think it might be as bad as weed
people see drinking as = good time, the fun is in the drinking and getting drunk :roll: also they might do it cuz they're friends are or they just want to try it and end up liking it
i think all the people/things you mentioned can be to blame but at the end of the day it is down to the individual, they are in control of their actions.
Muslim off licences - tell them they shouldn't have it, if they don't listen let them be.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

TheRevivalEditor wrote:
SALAAM

I'm working on this issue for a future article in The Revival, some views and comments on the following issues would be helpful:
Alcohol abuse in the Muslim community:
does it exist?

Yes
TheRevivalEditor wrote:
is it big but under cover?

Yes
TheRevivalEditor wrote:
is it as bad as weed/coke amongst our youth?

Not as dangerous but more apparent then coke/weed
TheRevivalEditor wrote:
do you know muslim youth personally who drink...or even drink openly?

Yes
TheRevivalEditor wrote:
do you know of ex-drinkers who have now become active practising Muslims?

Yes! MashAllah!
TheRevivalEditor wrote:
is drinking alcohol not seen as a 'biggie' any more?

Its seen as less bad than smoking weed
TheRevivalEditor wrote:
what would be the main reasons muslim youth drink?

Same reasons as weed also to be sociable with the non muslim folk
TheRevivalEditor wrote:
is drinking alcohol related to attending clubs/ pulling?

Definitely associated to clubs
TheRevivalEditor wrote:
is it because booze is so easily available at supermarkets etc?
I dont think so, availability isnt an issue
TheRevivalEditor wrote:
who would you say is to blame? parents/society/individual/mosques/imams/nobody?
a combination of all of them, everyone has to take some responsibility because as muslim community we have failed
TheRevivalEditor wrote:
what about Muslim off licences- should they be boycotted?
Absolutely!

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

maybe i live in a cacoon but i've never actually seen a muslim off license, i'd be shocked if i did. heard of them. was shocked a boy who used to be in same classes as me in primary and secondary owns a offlicense. in fact it was exclusively booze and not much else. But never saw the place on outskirts of my old town.

mostly see muslim newsagents here. even in the villages where nothing but sheep and cows graze , if you happen to spot a newsagents mash'Allah it will always be a pakistani brother, makes me feel like im at home, but thats off topic lol

i know a man who used to drink before marriage, wife obviously never knew. now its ruining her life, and having a bad impact on the kids. But despite their lack of respect for him and tears and all the rest he does not seem to care. he is adamant he will drink once a week and no one can stop him. i've told her she needs to divorce him for the sake of protecting her deen and her children if not herself. i know its easy for me to say, but i don't see what other options she has, it's been going on for tooo long now.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

Yes it does exist.

yes it happens just as much as weed ect but alot of people see it as less harmful :S
It is very undercover in alot of cases
Alot of kids i know drink.
I know people have stopped
I know people who have done it all their lives
See it as a biggie. Well no because weed/coke are much "cooler" & more kids use them.
The main reason they drink.. well i'd have to ask
Muslim off licences i've never really seen any that supply booze. if they do well then they are wrong.

Who's to blame? who ever is doing it,. we all have free will. But i guess influences that are bad outweighing those who guide them rightly is the reason in most places. the lack of right guidance. Because asa teenager well you don't really want to hear it from your parents & nobody else really seems to want to help.

I think its more common than people think. Its always someone elses friends/relatives that do it not ours/yours. Except what does that other person see? Does he have the same perception filter that its not his friends/relatives that drink but yours?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

if its your friend/relative/ect who does it then you have no right to really accuse anybody else do you. not before you accept that yours do it to.