Milk... in a bag

Ok, the other day when in Sainsburys I spotted something strange - milk. in a bag.

It was next to the 2 litre cartons, but it was in a bag.

Pricewise, it was 3p cheaper than the carton. but its in a bag.

Am I the only one who finds it strange that people can purchase milk in a bag? Doesn't seem like a very secure way to transport milk.

The people pushing it think it produces less waste. But its milk. in a bag.

it goes in a jug which you can buy separately - for more than the 3p you save over the cartons.

Do any you buy milk in a bag?

(separate topic, but has anyone noticed how all the supermarkets have milk priced identically - and between 30 and 50p more than normal shops? Surely that is price fixing! where is the OFT when you need it to investigate this?)

i would buy it if husband has no objections. never come across it since i shop in the big demon tesco. yes everyone loves to hate it, but i confess i love it.

i think it'd be ok transported just keep it separate on top of al shopping in the boot rather than underneath. the bag is good idea for ppl who get through milk quickly. but for those who take days just to get through a pint well it would lose its fresh taste sitting in a jug in fridge. work for me though can get through few pints in a day..not me alone lol with the kids.

but if they want to make ppl buy it it needs to be cheaper than 3p less.

about prices, my husband noticed same but he said if i you look at the quantity of milk in a milk carton in say a desi shop it is slightly less than in your supermarket cartons maybe thats why different price? i dont know if its true of all local shops though, but check it out.

What about quality of milk does it not differ? we may not notice difference, but farmers looking for a good price would know difference right? maybe thats another reason for price differences?

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

Tesco is OK - it has a bad reputation etc, but unlike the cheaper supermarkets like Asda, its stance and treatment of people in Africa is better, more ethical.

Atleast that is what I have been told - I rarely shop there myself because its not conveniently located.

But evne then all the supermarkets have the 2 litre milk bottles priced at 1.53 - all of them while other non supermarket stores can have them priced between 90p and 1.20.

So I think there is some price fixing there.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

i like tesco only coz it has everything under one roof not just food i mean household goods, toys, cutlery etc etc. But i do prefer sainsburys own brand products taste pretty good, however husband seems to think its more expensive than tesco so on getting married ive been forced to use tesco.

but in asda to make sure its cheap shop dont u need to try purchasing their branded goods? if so i'll opt out ive tried few of their products just dont like them, i really hate fact they have no fresh bakery section. But my sis on otherhand is used to it, she likes it.

parents household still get milk delivered in glass bottles, like the good old days. it is a lot creamier in taste, and if ppl dont want to waste on packaging its better bottles are reused, why dont we go back to that?

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

I think even the platic cartons are recycled, so the argument in favour of the bags is small...

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

As long as you have the milk...what is the problem?

Don't say: It's in a bag.

Can you imagine getting home after shopping and the milk was leaking out the side?

Or you pierce the bag slight wrong and the milk sprays everywhere.

Its just the general idea of milk. in a bag. that is weird to me.

I WANT TO SEE A PICTURE!
i just cant see milk in a bag...or any other liquid, it's not SUPPOSE to be...

and there's already SO many things you have to put on top of the shopping (vegetables (tomatoes), bread, flowers etc...) soon EVERYTHING we'll have to just levitate in the boot because they cant be on top of each other...

and isnt the bag less "environmentally friendly"??

i dont think its the fate of liquid to be in bags...oh god...the only "liquid in bag" thing i can think of is when its an accident...while travelling... >.>

and what colour is it anyway?? (the bag) Milk containers NEED a colour.. blue for whole, green for semi-skimmed and red for skimmed (red = danger..stay away..thats what i do...)
just imagine if they changed the whole milk carton colour to YELLOW, i dont think it would taste the same...

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

sawsan head working overtime lol. If its to reduce packaging i say those ppl should go back to using glass bottles. if u dont want cost of delivery, then you can always get bottled milk from local newsagent, only you have to rinse and return the bottle. Oh the good old days! (showing my age). i did that in my last rental home, coz newsagent was next door. but if the stores too far then i wouldn't, plastic carton more convenient.

We stll get the bottles delivered everyday, i think its kinda cool Smile and they get recycled so its all good

Plastic cartons can also be recycled.

and the bags are clear.

It is actually less messy than it seems too - There are actual techniques to use it: original way:

">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTPgd4HUk4w]

Sainsburys also sell these JugIt jugs with it too - which looks simpler:

">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju7n5SB6NH0]

See, without the videos I would have thought it would be done differently - to cut the bag and pour it into the jug, not to place the bag IN the jug.

Isnt that how milk is bourght in Pakistan - cant see how packaging makes a huge difference. Milk is Milk at the end of the day.

Around out end I think it comes almost direct from the animal - from there into a bucket and from buckets to people.

Atleast it did a while ago. Not been there in a while.

milk. in. a. BAG. >.>
I was feeling bad..thinking about the environment..then i discoved it's FRESH milk...we dont drink fresh milk...we drink UHT

LONG LIVE CARTONS (and hopefully they make them recyclable soon)

Best topic of 2010?

Milk. In a bag.

You wrote:
Best topic of 2010?

Milk. In a bag.

u mean 2011 right????

"Verily, in the remembrance of Allah, do hearts find rest"

Lol the topic was created in 2010

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

oh ok, lol...my bad...

"Verily, in the remembrance of Allah, do hearts find rest"

They've been doing Milk in a bag in places like PK and India for decades now.

Not something new.

Lilly wrote:

(and hopefully they make them recyclable soon)

they still havent...