Do you still want to drive?

with all the information that is being hammered in our head about cars and how polluting they are and how they destroy the environment etc... do you still want to drive?

i do want my driver license, but i dont think i want to buy my own car (more for the cost etc.. than the enviromental side) i'll just use my dad's car. i will definatly keep on using the bus etc.. and hopefully will only use the car when necessary.

what about you?

I am not too interested in the environmental stuff - the earth is in equilibrium and will take care of itself.

But I do not want to drive.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

i dont see whats the big deal in driving
why dont you want to drive?

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

The big deal is that you can get to the places you want to faster, you do not needto wait for the bus or the train and its more convenient.

It also allows you to transport heavier things etc.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

- You can have your own personal space
- You don't need to stand/sit next to smelly passengers
- You don't need to listen to their music (esp. from youth who think its cool to play music from their mobile phones)
If you want to get somewhere faster you just press on the gas pedal more
- You can adjust your seat
- Many more advantages.

- You cant sleep on the way there.
- You cannot daydream.
- You cannot idly stare out of the window.
- You cannot be on the net while driving.
- You cannot read the paper.
- You have to pay attention to those around you.

For some reason I have rarely had trouble with other passengers on busses/trains. The only time the smell bothered me was when i caught the last train once and it was full of drunks and the smell of alcohol was overbearing. Other than that, nothing I can think of.

(wait, does that mean I am the smelly one that others are wary of?)

You wrote:

- You cannot be on the net while driving.

Fool

MuslimBro wrote:
- You can have your own personal space
- You don't need to stand/sit next to smelly passengers
- You don't need to listen to their music (esp. from youth who think its cool to play music from their mobile phones)
If you want to get somewhere faster you just press on the gas pedal more
- You can adjust your seat
- Many more advantages.

theses are pretty much personal thing, shouldnt we worry about the environment more?

the environment will take care of itself.

Humans try their utmost to stop polluting and what does the earth do? it burps in Iceland.

YES i wana drive!!, earth will take care of itself inshAllah.

how do you guys know its going to take care of itself?

GCSE science. The world is an equilibrium system.

I've been driving for many years and should be taking my CBT so I can drive a moped.

Should save time from traffic jams and also money.

You wrote:
GCSE science. The world is an equilibrium system.

ive done it too but they're teaching us how humans are destroying the world now.

They teacht that too. and we do make a difference. But that does not mean there will not be balance.

It may be less wholesome for us, but there will always be balance.

The way I see it people will stop burning hydrocarbons of themselves without government interference or actions when they run out of them, or they become too costly to extract.

That is only a few decades away.

i think same as you sawsan but when you have a family with small children, trust me buses aint easy to get on and off, and only a handful of bus drivers will wait while you are seated. they dont care if you have a newborn, and toddler in tow they will jerk the bus anyways.

Also grocery shopping with public transport is hard, specially if bus is packed and you want to get out, well ppl aren't always friendly enough to make room for you and ur bags

if you have an eldery parent or in law to take care of hospital appoints nightmare without car also. it comes in handy.

having said that i rely on husband for all that stuff but i do worry if something happens to him i will have a big struggle on my hands. So i need to muster up confidence to drive on my own.

if it wasnt for small kids i would still use public transport, i particularly liked using the local trains. i think its healthier too. u have to make stops for buses, trains etc, so can take some walking. with driving car in front of door hop in and step out on arrival.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

agreed and you're right, in all those cases i intend to drive as well.. plus i've got lots of family living in France...and me and my family have always driven there..i cant see myself sitting down in a fast train waiting for the hour to tick by...i cant see myself driving for 7 hours either but nevermind....

but Driving to the cornershop, driving to drop your kids off school, driving to go in your local area, i dont see the point of it. Buses are way more fun

I've got to admit im not a big fan of trains...just a childhood thing.. but those red double deckers buses Biggrin

and You, yep you're right, most people we'll, eventually, stop driving because gas will be too expensive or just unavailable. i just think we should slow down until you found alternative and put them in practise

talking about alternative...we're running out of fossil fuels and people are complaining of "visual polution" (aka, wind turbines) I just dont get those people...

You wrote:
- You have to pay attention to those around you.

Also applies on public transport. I haven't been on a bus for some time now and went on one yesterday. Was trying to read something (whilst standing) and was constantly trying to avoid bumping into someone whenever the driver braked harshly. That combined with a woman who was half topless standing a few inches in front of me. God it was distracting. It's good I don't use public transport much.

More advantages of driving:
- You can always sit down.
- You can go direct to your destination and do not have to stick to the bus routes.
- You can choose to speed, thus go to your destination faster.
- You can fart, burp, pick your nose, sing, ect. without worrying about other people.

MuslimBro wrote:

- You can fart, burp, pick your nose, sing, ect. without worrying about other people.

ok, you win. Biggrin

but bus routes are fun!!

I dont know what id do without my car!

my college is about 20mins walk away but i always drive there.. lazy i guess :/

If you desire Allah to be persistent in granting you the things you love,, be persistent in doing the things that he loves - (Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal)

sawsan wrote:
MuslimBro wrote:

ok, you win. Biggrin

but bus routes are fun!!

Fun?!

Have you been on a packed bus on a hot day?

MuslimBro wrote:
sawsan wrote:
MuslimBro wrote:

ok, you win. Biggrin

but bus routes are fun!!

Fun?!

Have you been on a packed bus on a hot day?

Summer's coming up now...let's see what i think of buses in july...
why take a packed bus? wait for the next one or take a route that isnt very popular. Or just get on when it isnt packed, as long as i get to sit down..

what i hate the most is that the heaters are still on...

I'm assuming you haven't traveled on public transport in London.

Can't be that bad?

MuslimBro wrote:
I'm assuming you haven't traveled on public transport in London.

i live in London Blum 3 I just have a very short memory span

and it isnt that bad..just walk if it TOO hot...no one is forcing you to get on the bus

Yeah walk 6 miles with a heavy rucksack. I'm sure I would enjoy that.

I take my car now but traffic jams is a problem so getting a motorbike should solve that problem.

what about a bike? without the motor bit?

meh...

me too..being planning to drive as soon as possible now... because college is just TOO far and i have to take a bus i DESPICE (<--is that even spelled correctly?)

sawsan wrote:
meh...

me too..being planning to drive as soon as possible now... because college is just TOO far and i have to take a bus i DESPICE (<--is that even spelled correctly?)

Nope.

And yeah i wanna drive but i cba to apply for my provisional.

Eventually i will, my dad keeps nagging at me to.

And what the government could do for the environment is have separate buses for the rude gobby cows with huge prams, bad manners and no perspective. Maybe then people would be more willing to take the bus.

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

or provide us with our own personal limo service... "a bus with driver for every citizen"

Pages