His Royal Highness Prince Charles

Salam

This thread is dedicated to my Prince.

I love the dedicated work Prince Charles does in so many areas of concern: To save the environment, to promote religious harmony, and so many other areas such as the agriculture in England, the health of our nation, the heritage of Britain, the architecture in our cities, and all the trusts and charities and so on.

Presently HRH is on a visit to the United States.

I will post here some wonderful speeches of HRH The Prince Of Wales.

Please do feel free to give your opinons on these texts.

God keep the next King of England.

Omrow

[b]The Prince of Wales speak on Islam at the Oxford University on 27th October 1993 [/b]

Ladies and gentlemen, it was suggested to me when I first began to consider the subject of this lecture, that I should take comfort from the Arab proverb, 'In every head there is some wisdom'. I confess that I have few qualifications as a scholar to justify my presence here, in this theatre, where so many people much more learned than I have preached and generally advanced the sum of human knowledge. I might feel more prepared if I were an offspring of your distinguished University, rather than a product of that 'Technical College of the Fens' - though I hope you will bear in mind that a chair of Arabic was established in 17th century Cambridge a full four years before your first chair of Arabic at Oxford.
Unlike many of you, I am not an expert on Islam - though I am delighted, for reasons which I hope will become clear, to be a Patron of the Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies. The Centre has the potential to be an important and exciting vehicle for promoting and improving understanding of the Islamic world in Britain, and one which I hope will earn its place alongside other centres of Islamic study in Oxford, like the Oriental Institute and the Middle East Centre, as an institution of which the University, and scholars more widely, will become justly proud.
Given all the reservations I have about venturing into a complex and controversial field, you may well ask why I am here in this marvellous Wren building talking to you on the subject of Islam and the West. The reason is, ladies and gentlemen, that I believe wholeheartedly that the links between these two worlds matter more today than ever before, because the degree of misunderstanding between the Islamic and Western worlds remains dangerously high, and because the need for the two to live and work together in our increasingly interdependent world has never been greater. At the same time I am only too well aware of the minefields which lie across the path of the inexpert traveller who is bent on exploring this difficult route. Some of what I shall say will undoubtedly provoke disagreement, criticism, misunderstanding and, knowing my luck, probably worse. But perhaps, when all is said and done, it is worth recalling another Arab proverb: 'What comes from the lips reaches the ears. What comes from the heart reaches the heart.'
The depressing fact is that, despite the advances in technology and mass communication of the second half of the 20th century, despite mass travel, the intermingling of races, the ever-growing reduction - or so we believe - of the mysteries of our world, misunderstandings between Islam and the West continue. Indeed, they may be growing. As far as the West is concerned, this cannot be because of ignorance. There are one billion Muslims worldwide. Many millions of them live in countries of the Commonwealth. Ten million or more of them live in the West, and around one million here in Britain. Our own Islamic community has been growing and flourishing for decades. There are nearly 500 mosques in Brtain. Popular interest in Islamic culture in Britain is growing fast. Many of you will recall - and I think some of you took part in - the wonderful Festival of Islam which Her Majesty The Queen opened in 1976. Islam is all around us. And yet distrust, even fear, persist.
In the post-Cold War world of the 1990s, the prospects for peace should be greater than at any time this century. In the Middle East, the remarkable and encouraging events of recent weeks have created new hope for an end to an issue which has divided the world and been so dramatic a source of violence and hatred. But the dangers have not disappeared. In the Muslim world, we are seeing the unique way of life of the Marsh Arabs of Southern Iraq, thousands of years old, being systematically devastated and destroyed. I confess that for a whole year I have wanted to find a suitable opportunity to express my despair and outrage at the unmentionable horrors being perpetrated in Southern Iraq. To me, the supreme and tragic irony of what has been happening to the Shia population of Iraq - especially in the ancient city and holy shrine of Kerbala - is that after the western allies took immense care to avoid bombing such holy places (and I remember begging General Schwarzkopf when I met him in Riyadh in December 1990, before the actual war began to liberate Kuwait, to do his best to protect such shrines during any conflict), it was Saddam Hussein himself, and his terrifying regime, who caused the destruction of some of Islam's holiest sites.
And now we have to witness the deliberate draining of the marshes and the near total destruction of a unique habitat, together with an entire population that has depended on it since the dawn of human civilisation. The international community has been told the draining of the marshes is for agricultural purposes. How many more obscene lies do we have to be told before action is actually taken? Even at the eleventh hour it is still not too late to prevent a total cataclysm.I pray that this might at least be a cause in which Islam and the West could join forces for the sake of our common humanity.
I have highlighted this particular example because it is so avoidable. Elsewhere, the violence and hatred are more intractable and deep-seated, as we go on seeing every day to our horror in the wretched suffering of peoples across the world - in the former Yugoslavia, in Somalia, Angola, Sudan, in so many of the former Soviet Republics. In Yugoslavia the terrible sufferings of the Bosnian Muslims, alongside that of other communities in that cruel war, help keep alive many of the fears and prejudices which our two worlds retain of each other. Conflict, of course, comes about because of the misuse of power and the clash of ideals, not to mention the inflammatory activities of unscrupulous and bigoted leaders. But it also arises, tragically, from an inability to understand, and from the powerful emotioins which, out of misunderstanding, lead to distrust and fear. Ladies and gentlemen, we must not slide into a new era of danger and division because governments and peoples, communities and religions, cannot live together in peace in a shrinking world.
It is odd, in many ways, that misunderstandings between Islam and the West should persist. For that which binds our two worlds together is so much more powerful than that which divides us. Muslims, Christians - and Jews - are all 'peoples of the Book'. Islam and Christianity share a common monotheistic vision: a belief in one divine God, in the transience of our earthly life, in our accountability for our actions, and in the assurance of life to come. We share many key values in common: respect for knowledge, for justice, compassion towards the poor and underprivileged, the importance of family life, respect for parents. 'Honour thy father and thy mother' is a Quranic precept too. Our history has been closely bound up together.
There, however, is one root of the problem. For much of that history has been one of conflict; 14 centuries too often marked by mutual hostility. That has given rise to an enduring tradition of fear and distrust, because our two worlds have so often seen that past in contradictory ways. To Western schoolchildren, the 200 years of the Crusades are traditionally seen as a series of heroic, chivalrous exploits in which the kings, knights, princes - and children - of Europe tried to wrest Jerusalem from the wicked Muslim infidel. To Muslims, the Crusades were an episode of great cruelty and terrible plunder, of Western infidel soldiers of fortune and horrific atrocities, perhaps exemplified best by the massacres committed by the Crusaders when, in 1099, they took back Jerusalem, the third holiest city in Islam. For us in the West, 1492 speaks of human endeavour and new horizons, of Columbus and the discovery of the Americas. To Muslims, 1492 is a year of tragedy - the year Granada fell to Ferdinand and Isabella, signifying the end of eight centureis of Muslim civilisation in Europe.
The point, I think, is not that one or other picture is more true, or has a monopoly of truth. It is that misunderstandings arise when we fail to appreciate how others look at the world, its history, and our respective roles in it.
The corollary of how we in the West see our history has so often been to regard Islam as a threat - in medieval times as a military conqueror, and in more modern times as a source of intolerance, extremism and terrorism. One can understand how the taking of Constantinople, when it fell to Sultan Mehmet in 1453, and the close-run defeats of the Turks outside Vienna in 1529 and 1683, should have sent shivers of fear through Europe's rulers. The history of the Balkans under Ottoman rule provided examples of cruelty which sank deep into Western feelings. But the threat has not been one way. With Napoleon's invasion of Egypt in 1798, followed by the invasions and conquests of the 19th century, the pendulum swung, and almost all the Arab world became occupied by the Western powers. With the fall of the Ottoman Empire, Europe's triumph over Islam seemed complete.
Those days of conquest are over. But even now our common attitude to Islam suffers because the way we understand it has been hijacked by the extreme and the superficial. To many of us in the West, Islam is seen in terms of the tragic civil war in Lebanon, the killings and bombings perpetrated by extremist groups in the Middle East, and by what is commonly referred to as 'Islamic fundamentalism'. Our judgement of Islam has been grossly distorted by taking the extremes to be the norm. That, ladies and gentlemen, is a serious mistake. It is like judging the quality of life in Britain by the existence of murder and rape, child abuse and drug addiction. The extremes exist, and they must be dealt with. But when used as a basis to judge a society, they lead to distortion and unfairness.
For example, people in this country frequently argue that Sharia law of the Islamic world is cruel, barbaric and unjust. Our newspapers, above all, love to peddle those unthinking prejudices. The truth is, of course, different and always more complex. My own understanding is that extremes are rarely practised. The guiding principle and spirit of Islamic law, taken straight from the Qur'an, should be those of equity and compassion. We need to study its actual application before we make judgements. We must distinguish between systems of justice administered with integrity, and systems of justice as we may see them practised which have been deformed for political reasons into something no longer Islamic. We must bear in mind the sharp debate taking place in the Islamic world itself about the extent of the universality or timelessness of Sharia law, and the degree to which the application of that law is continually changing and evolving.
We should also distinguish Islam from the customs of some Islamic states. Another obvious Western prejudice is to judge the position of women in Islamic society by the extreme cases. Yet Islam is not a monolith and the picture is not simple. Remember, if you will, that Islamic countries like Turkey, Egypt and Syria gave women the vote as early as Europe did its women - and much earlier than in Switzerland! In those countries women have long enjoyed equal pay, and the opportunity to play a full working role in their societies. The rights of Muslim women to property and inheritance, to some protection if divorced, and to the conducting of business, were rights prescribed by the Qur'an 1,400 years ago, even if they were not everywhere translated into practice. In Britain at least, some of these rights were novel even to my grandmother's generation! Benazir Bhutto and Begum Khaleda Zia became prime ministers in their own traditional societies when Britain had for the first time ever in its history elected a female prime minister. That, I think, does not necessarily smack of a mediaeval society.
Women are not automatically second-class citizens because they live in Islamic countries. We cannot judge the position of women in Islam aright if we take the most conservative Islamic states as representative of the whole. For example, the veiling of women is not at all universal across the Islamic world. Indeed, I was intrigued to learn that the custom of wearing the veil owed much to Byzantine and Sassanian traditions, nothing to the Prophet of Islam. Some Muslim women never adopted the veil, others have discarded it, others - particularly the younger generation - have more recently chosen to wear the veil or the headscarf as a personal statement of their Muslim identity. But we should not confuse the modesty of dress prescribed by the Qur'an for men as well as women with the outward forms of secular custom or social status which have their origins elsewhere.
We in the West need also to understand the Islamic world's view of us. There is nothing to be gained, and much harm to be done, by refusing to comprehend the extent to which many people in the Islamic world genuinely fear our own Western materialism and mass culture as a deadly challenge to their Islamic culture and way of life. Some of us may think the material trappings of Western society which we have exported to the Islamic world - television, fast-food and the electronic gadgets of our everyday lives - are a modernising, self-evidently good, influence. But we fall into the trap of dreadful arrogance if we confuse 'modernity' in other countries with their becoming more like us. The fact is that our form of materialism can be offensive to devout Muslims - and I do not just mean the extremists among them. We must understand that reaction, just as the West's attitude to some of the more rigorous aspects of Islamic life, needs to be understood in the Islamic world.
This, I believe, would help us understand what we have commonly come to see as the threat of Islamic fundamentalism. We need to be careful of that emotive label, 'fundamentalism', and distinguish, as Muslims do, between revivalists, who choose to take the practice of their religion most devoutly, and fanatics or extremists who use this devotion for their political ends. Among the many religious, social and political causes of what we might more accurately call the Islamic revival is a powerful feeling of disenchantment, of the realisation that Western technology and material things are insufficient, and that a deeper meaning to life lies elsewhere in the essence of Islamic belief.
At the same time, we must not be tempted to believe that extremism is in some way the hallmark and essence of the Muslim. Extremism is no more the monopoly of Islam than it is the monopoly of other religions, including Christianity. The vast majority of Muslims, though personally pious, are moderate in their politics. Theirs is the 'religion of the middle way'. The Prophet himself always disliked and feared extremism. Perhaps the fear of Islamic revivalism which coloured the 1980s is now beginning to give way in the West to an understanding of the genuine spiritual forces behind this groundswell. But if we are to understand this important movement, we must learn to distinguish clearly between what the vast majority of Muslims believe and the terrible violence of a small minority among them - like the men in Cairo yesterday - which civilised people everywhere must condemn.
Chancellor, ladies and gentlemen, if there is much misunderstanding in the West about the nature of Islam, there is also much ignorance about the debt our own culture and civilisation owe to the Islamic world. It is a failure which stems, I think, from the straitjacket of history which we have inherited. The medieval Islamic world, from Central Asia to the shores of the Atlantic, was a world where scholars and men of learning flourished. But because we have tended to see Islam as the enemy of the West, as an alien culture, society and system of belief, we have tended to ignore or erase its great relevance to our own history.
For example, we have underestimated the importance of 800 years of Islamic society and culture in Spain between the 8th and 15th centuries. The contribution of Muslim Spain to the preservation of classical learning during the Dark Ages, and to the first flowerings of the Renaissance, has long been recognised. But Islamic Spain was much more than a mere larder where Hellenistic knowledge was kept for later consumption by the emerging modern Western world. Not only did Muslim Spain gather and preserve the intellectual content of ancient Greek and Roman civilisation, it also interpreted and expanded upon that civilisation, and made a vital contribution of its own in so many fields of human endeavour - in science, astronomy, mathematics, algebra (itself an Arabic word), law, history, medicine, pharmacology, optics, agriculture, architecture, theology, music. Averroes and Avenzoor, like their counterparts Avicenna and Rhazes in the East, contributed to the study and practice of medicine in ways from which Europe benefited for centuries afterwards.
Islam nurtured and preserved the quest for learning. In the words of the tradition, 'the ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr'. Cordoba in the 10th century was by far the most civilised city of Europe. We know of lending libraries in Spain at the time King Alfred was making terrible blunders with the culinary arts in this country. It is said that the 400,000 volumes in its ruler's library amounted to more books than all the libraries of the rest of Europe put together. That was made possible because the Muslim world acquired from China the skill of making paper more than 400 years before the rest of non-Muslim Europe. Many of the traits on which modern Europe prides itself came to it from Muslim Spain. Diplomacy, free trade, open borders, the techniques of academic research, of anthropology, etiquette, fashion, various types of medicine, hospitals, all came from this great city of cities.
Medieval Islam was a religion of remarkable tolerance for its time, allowing Jews and Christians the right to practise their inherited beliefs, and setting an example which was not, unfortunately, copied for many centuries in the West. The surprise, ladies and gentlemen, is the extent to which Islam has been a part of Europe for so long, first in Spain, then in the Balkans, and the extent to which it has contributed so much towards the civilisation which we all too often think of, wrongly, as entirely Western. Islam is part of our past and our present, in all fields of human endeavour. It has helped to create modern Europe. It is part of our own inheritance, not a thing apart.
More than this, Islam can teach us today a way of understanding and living in the world which Christianity itself is the poorer for having lost. At the heart of Islam is its preservation of an integral view of the Universe. Islam - like Buddhism and Hinduism - refuses to separate man and nature, religion and science, mind and matter, and has preserved a metaphysical and unified view of ourselves and the world aruond us. At the core of Christianity there still lies an integral view of the sanctity of the world, and a clear sense of the trusteeship and responsibility given to us for our natural surroundings. In the words of that marvellous 17th century poet and hymn writer George Herbert:
'A man that looks on glass,
On it may stay his eye;
Or if he pleaseth, through it pass,
And then the heaven espy.'
But the West gradually lost this integrated vision of the world with Copernicus and Descartes and the coming of the scientific revolution. A comprehensive philosophy of nature is no longer part of our everyday beliefs. I cannot help feeling that, if we could now only rediscover that earlier, all-embracing approach to the world around us, to see and understand its deeper meaning, we could begin to get away from the increasing tendency in the West to live on the surface of our surroundings, where we study our world in order to manipulate and dominate it, turning harmony and beauty into disequilibrium and chaos.
It is a sad fact, I believe, that in so many ways the external world we have created in the last few hundred years has come to reflect our own divided and confused inner state. Western civilisation has become increasingly acquisitive and exploitative in defiance of our environmental responsibilities. This crucial sense of oneness and trusteeship of the vital sacramental and spiritual character of the world about us is surely something important we can re-learn from Islam. I am quite sure some will instantly accuse me, as they usually do, of living in the past, of refusing to come to terms with reality and modern life. On the contrary, ladies and gentlemen, what I am appealing for is a wider, deeper, more careful understanding of our world; for a metaphysical as well as a material dimension to our lives, in order to recover the balance we have abandoned, the absence of which, I believe, will prove disastrous in the long term. If the ways of thought found in Islam and other religions can help us in that search, then there are things for us to learn from this system of belief which I suggest we ignore at our peril.
Ladies and gentlemen, we live today in one world, forged by instant communications, by television, by the exchange of information on a scale undreamed of by our grandparents. The world economy functions as an inter-dependent entity. Problems of society, the quality of life and the environment, are global in their causes and effects, and none of us any longer has the luxury of being able to solve them on our own. The Islamic and Western worlds share problems common to us all: how we adapt to change in our societies, how we help young people who feel alienated from their parents or their society's values, how we deal with Aids, drugs, and the disintegration of the family. Of course, these problems vary in nature and intensity between societies. The problems of our own inner cities are not identical to those of Cairo or Damascus. But the similarity of human experience is considerable. The international trade in hard drugs is one example; the damage we are collectively doing to our environment is another.
We have to solve these threats to our communities and lives together. Simply getting to know each other can achieve wonders. I remember vividly, for instance, taking a group of Muslims and non-Muslims some years ago to see the work of the Marylebone Health Centre in London, of which I am Patron. The enthusiasm and common determination that shared experience generated was immensely heart-warming. Ladies and gentlemen, somehow we have to learn to understand each other, and to educate our children - a new generation, whose attitudes and cultural outlook may be different from ours - so that they understand too. We have to show trust, mutual respect and tolerance, if we are to find the common ground between us and work together to find solutions. The community enterprise approach of my own Trust, and the very successful Volunteers Scheme it has run for some years, show how much can be achieved by a common effort which spans classes, cultures and religions.
The Islamic and Western world can no longer afford to stand apart from a common effort to solve their common problems. One excellent example of our two cultures working together in common cause is the way in which the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is working with Oxford Univeristy to set up a research centre into schizophrenia for an organisation called SANE, of which I am Patron.
Nor can we afford to revive the territorial and political confrontations of the past. We have to share experiences, to explain ourselves to each other, to understand and tolerate - and I know how difficult these things are - and to build on those positive principles which our two cultures have in common. That trade has to be two-way. Each of us needs to understand the importance of conciliation, of reflection - TADABBUR is the word, I believe - to open our minds and unlock our hearts to each other. I am utterly convinced that the Islamic and the Western worlds have much to learn from each other. Just as the oil engineer in the Gulf may be European, so the heart transplant surgeon in Britain may be Egyptian.
If this need for tolerance and exchange is true internationally, it applies with special force within Britain itself. Britain is a multi-racial and multi-cultural society. I have already mentioned the size of our own Muslim communities who live throughout Britain, both in large towns like Bradford and in tiny communities in places as remote as Stornaway in Western Scotland. These people, ladies and gentlemen, are an asset to Britain. They contribute to all parts of our economy - to industry, the public services, the professions and the private sector. We find them as teachers, as doctors, as engineers and as scientists. They contribute to our economic well-being as a country, and add to the cultural richness of our nation. Of course, tolerance and understanding must be two-way. For those who are not Muslim, that may mean respect for the daily practice of the Islamic faith and a decent care to avoid actions which are likely to cause deep offence. For the Muslims in our society, there is the need to respect the history, culture and way of life of our country, and to balance their vital liberty to be themselves with an appreciation of the importance of integration in our society. Where there are failings of understanding and tolerance, we have a need, on our own doorstep, for greater reconciliation among our own citizens. I hope we shall all learn to demonstrate this as understanding between these communities grows.
I can only admire, and applaud, those men and women of so many denominations who work so tirelessly, in London, South Wales, the Midlands and elsewhere, to promote good community relations. The Centre for the Study of Islam and Christian-Muslim Relations in Birmingham is one especially notable and successful example. We should be grateful, I believe, for the dedication and example of all those who have devoted themselves to the cause of promoting understanding.
Ladies and gentlemen, if, in the last half hour, your eyes have wandered up to the marvellous allegory of Truth descending on the arts and sciences in Sir Robert Streeter's ceiling above you, I am sure you will have noticed Ignorance being violently banished from the arena - just there in front of the organ casing. I feel some sympathy for Ignorance, and hope I may be permitted to vacate this theatre in a somewhat better condition...
Before I go, I cannot put to you strongly enough the importance of the two issues which I have tried to touch on so imperfectly this morning. These two worlds, the Islamic and the Western, are at something of a crossroads in their relations. We must not let them stand apart. I do not accept the argument that they are on course to clash in a new era of antagonism. I am utterly convinced that our two worlds have much to offer each other. We have much to do together. I am delighted that the dialogue has begun, both in Britain and elsewhere. But we shall need to work harder to understand each other, to drain out any poison between us, and to lay the ghost of suspicion and fear. The further down that road we can travel, the better the world that we shall create for our children and for future generations.

Out of curiousity omro, do u love all of the royal family?

[b]The Prince of Wales speaks after the September 11 attacks. [/b]

15th November 2001

In a speech I made in Oxford some eight years ago I spoke of the dangers of ignorance and misunderstanding between the Islamic world and the West, and of the need for these two worlds to understand better the beliefs and values which can bind us together more powerfully than they need divide us.
For we share as Moslems and Christians a powerful core of spiritual belief - in one divine God, in the transience of our earthly life, in our accountability for our actions, and in the assurance of life to come.
We also share many key social values in common: including a respect for knowledge and justice, compassion towards the poor and the underprivileged, and a respect for the importance of family life.
The West and Islam have a history which has often been closely bound up together. The tragedy - and the reality - is that both sides have so often seen that history as one of conflict and cruelty.
Both sides have suffered in their understanding because ignorance and prejudice, the extreme and the superficial, have hijacked our view of each other - and often for good reasons.
The point is not that either side has a monopoly of the truth, or can lay claim more exclusively to a picture which is more true. But the dangerous result of each side failing to understand the other is that misunderstandings are perpetuated, and can so easily degenerate into suspicion and hatred.
We need, above all, therefore, to appreciate how others look at the world, its history and our respective roles in it.
Just as we in the West need to understand the Islamic world better, so we must also understand - as part of that knowledge - the extent to which many Muslims genuinely fear our own Western materialism and mass culture as a deadly challenge to their own Islamic culture and way of life.
I spoke eight years ago of the urgent need for understanding and tolerance between Islam and the West, which seemed even at that time to be at something of a crossroads in their relations.
That need is even greater now, not only because of the threatening international circumstances in which we find ourselves, but also because of the worries and concerns which exist within Britain between different communities.
We need, therefore, to work ever harder on all sides to understand each other, and to lay this ghost of suspicion and fear if we are to create a better and safer world for future generations.

Salam

"angel" wrote:
Out of curiousity omro, do u love all of the royal family?

I love those whom Her Majesty the Queen loves.

Right now, she is the best queen in the world.

Omrow

lol

why omrow?

what does she do?

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

[b]The Prince of Wales speaks in Wilton Park about the need for SACREDNESS in human life[/b]

13th December 1996

Ladies and gentlemen. Delighted you could be here today. Particularly pleased to help celebrate today 50 years of Wilton Park's existence. Has become an important and internationally respected institution for the study of international issues. Sure that some of its reputation comes from its position in the lee of the South Downs. A wonderful place for reviving the spirit and inducing a sense of calm and quite contemplation. Not at all surprised that people should therefore want to come to Wilton Park to try to analyse and solve some of the world's more difficult problems. I wish the Centre all possible success for its next 50 years.
I hesitated a long time before suggesting that it might be worth trying to use this occasion to hold a seminar on a Sense of the Sacred and its relevance to the problem of understanding between the Islamic and Western worlds. I am only too aware that this is not a typical or, for some people, an easy or comfortable way of looking at what are often seen as intensely practical issues. But I am encouraged by the fact that, whenever I have summoned up my courage to speak about this subject in the past - even to groups of hard-headed, practical people like international financiers or property developers, it seems always to have struck an extraordinary chord, and captured a remarkable degree of attention. My belief is that in each one of us there is a distant echo of the sense of the sacred, but that the majority of us are terrified to admit its existence for fear of ridicule and abuse. This fear of ridicule, even to the extent of mentioning the name of God, is a classic indication of the loss of meaning in so-called Western civilisation.
I start from the belief that Islamic civilisation at its best, like many of the religions of the East - Judaism, Hinduism, Jainism and Buddhism - has an important message for the West in the way it has retained a more integrated and integral view of the sanctity of the world around us. I feel that we in the West could be helped to rediscover those roots of our own understanding by an appreciation of the Islamic tradition's deep respect for the timeless traditions of the natural order. I believe that process could help in the task of bringing our two faiths closer together. It could also help us in the West to rethink, and for the better, our practical stewardship of man and his environment - in fields like healthcare, the natural environment and agriculture, as well as in architecture and urban planning. I want very briefly to explain why this might be so.
Modern materialism in my humble opinion is unbalanced and increasingly damaging in its long-term consequences. Yet nearly all the great religions of the world have held an integral view of the sanctity of the world. The Christian message with, for example, its deeply mystical and symbolic doctrine of the Incarnation, has been traditionally a message of the unity of the worlds of sprit and matter, and of God's manifestation in this world and in mankind. But during the last three centuries, in the Western world at least, a dangerous division has come into being in the way we perceive the world around us. Science has tried to assume a monopoly - even a tyranny - over our understanding. Religion and science have become separated, with the result, as William Wordsworth said, "Little we see in nature that is ours". Science has attempted to take over the natural world from God, with the result that it has fragmented the cosmos and relegated the sacred to a separate, and secondary, compartment of our understanding, divorced from the practical day-to-day existence.
We are only now beginning to gauge the disastrous results of this outlook. We in the Western world seem to have lost a sense of the wholeness of our environment, and of our immense and inalienable responsibility to the whole of creation. This has led to an increasing failure to appreciate or understand tradition, and the wisdom of our forebears accumulated over the centuries. Indeed, tradition is positively discriminated against - as if it was some socially unacceptable disease...
In my view, a more holistic approach is needed in our contemporary world. Science has done the inestimable service of showing us a world much more complex than we ever imagined. But in its modern, materialist, one-dimensional form, it cannot explain everything. God is not merely the ultimate Newtonian mathematician or the mechanistic clockmaker. Francis Bacon said that God will not produce miracles to convince those who cannot see the miracle of a growing blade of grass or falling rain. As science and technology have become increasingly separated from ethical, moral and sacred considerations, so have the implications of such a separation become more sombre and horrifying - as we see, for example, in genetic manipulation, or in the consequences of the kind of (scientific) arrogance so blatant in the scandal of BSE.
I believe there is a growing sense of the danger of these materialist presumptions in our increasingly alienated and dissatisfied world. Some may say that the tide is, perhaps, beginning to turn, but I fear there are still large herds of conventional sacred cows blocking the path... Some scientists are slowly coming to realise the awe-inspiring complexity and mystery of the universe. But there remains a need to rediscover the bridge between what the great faiths of the world have recognised as our inner and our outer worlds, our physical and our spiritual nature. That bridge is the expression of our humanity. It fulfils this role through the medium of traditional knowledge and art, which have civilised mankind and without which civilisation could not long be maintained. After centuries of neglect and cynicism the transcendental wisdom of the great religious traditions, including the Judaeo-Christian and the Islamic, and the metaphysics of the Platonic tradition which was such an important inspiration for Western philosophical and spiritual ideas is finally being rediscovered.
I have always felt that tradition is not a man-made element in our lives, but a God-given intuition of natural rhythms, of the fundamental harmony which emerges from the union of those paradoxical opposites which exist in every aspect of nature. Tradition reflects the timeless order of the cosmos, and anchors us into an awareness of the great mysteries of the universe so that, as Blake put it, we can see the whole universe in an atom and eternity in a moment. That is why I believe Man is so much more than just a biological phenomenon resting on what we now seem to define as "the bottom line" of the great balance sheet of life, according to which art and culture are seen increasingly as optional extras in life. This view is so contrary, for example, to the outlook of the Muslim craftsman or artist, which was never concerned with display for its own sake, nor with progressing ever forward in his own ingenuity, but was content to submit a man's craft to God. That outlook reflects, I believe, the memorable passage in the Qur'an, "withersoever you turn there is the face of God and God is all embracing, all knowing". While appreciating that this essential innocence has been destroyed, and destroyed everywhere, I nevertheless believe that the survival of civilised values, as we have inherited them from our ancestors, depends on the corresponding survival in our hearts of that profound sense of the sacred and the spiritual.
Traditional religions, with their integral view of the universe, can help us in a an important way to rediscover the importance of the integration of the secular and the sacred - as I tried to argue in my speech in Oxford in 1993 on Islam and the West. The danger of ignoring this essential aspect of our existence is not just spiritual or intellectual. It also lies at the heart of that great divide between the Islamic and Western worlds over the place of materialism in our lives. In those instances where Islam chooses to reject Western materialism, this is not, in my view, only a political affectation or the result of envy or a sense of inferiority. Quite the opposite. And the danger that the gulf between the worlds of Islam and the other major Eastern religions on the one hand, and the West on the other, will grow ever wider and more unbridgeable is real, unless we can explore together practical ways of integrating the sacred and the secular in both our cultures in order to provide a true inspiration for the next century.
This rediscovery of an integrated view of the sacred could also help us in areas of important practical activity. In Medicine, whatever some scientists might say, the rupture between religion and science, between the material world and a sense of the sacred, has too often led to a blinkered approach to healthcare, and to a failure to understand the wholeness and the manifest mystery of the healing process. Hospitals need to be conceived and, above all, designed to reflect the wholeness of healing if they are to help the process of recovery in a more complete way. Modern medicine remains too often a one-dimensional approach to illness which, however, sophisticated and miraculous in some of its achievements, cannot of itself understand more than a fraction of what there is to know, and can still be enriched and enlightened by more traditional approaches. There are, I am glad to say, beacons of light seeking to integrate the modern and traditional approaches which I have come across over the years, such as the Marylebone Health Centre in London, or the Bristol Cancer Help Centre.
Our Environment has suffered beyond our worst nightmares, in part because of a one-sided approach to economic development which, until very recently, failed to take account of the inter-relatedness of creation. Little thought was given to the importance of finding that sustainable balance which worked within the grain of nature and understood the vital necessity of setting and respecting limits. This, for example, is why protection of our environment is a relatively recent concern; and why organic and sustainable farming are so important if we are to use the land in a way which will safeguard its ability to nourish future generations.
A third area in which this separation of the material and spiritual has had dramatic consequences is Architecture. I believe this separation lies at the heart of the failure of so much modern architecture to understand the essential spiritual quality and the traditional principles that reflect a cosmic harmony, from which come buildings with which people feel comfortable and in which they want to live. That is why I started my own small Institute of Architecture some five years ago. Titus Buckhardt wrote: "It is the nature of art to rejoice the soul, but not every art possesses a spiritual dimension". We see this spirituality in traditional Christian architecture which incidentally was also inspired by a far more profound symbolic awareness than could ever be imagined by those who categorise such architecture as a question of mere style. This spiritual dimension also infuses the intricate geometric and arabesque patterns of Islamic art and architecture, which are ultimately a manifestation of divine Unity, which in turn is the central message of the Qur'an. The Prophet Mohammed himself is believed to have said: "God is beautiful and He loves beauty".
Look also at urban planning. The great historian, Ibn Khaldun, understood that the intimate relationship between city life and spiritual tranquillity was an essential basis for civilisation. Can we ever again return to such harmony in our cities? As civilisations decay, so do the crafts, as Ibn Khaldun again wrote.
All these principles come down in the end to a battle for preserving sacred values. It is a battle to restore an understanding of the spiritual integrity of our lives, and for reintegrating what the modern world has fragmented. Islamic culture in its traditional form has striven to preserve this integrated spiritual view of the world in a way we have not seen fit to do in recent generations in the West. There is much we can share with that Islamic world view in this respect, and much in that world view which can help us to understand the shared and timeless elements in our two faiths. In that common endeavour both our modern societies, Islamic and Western, can learn afresh the traditional views of life common to our religions, as well as the sacred responsibilities we have for the care and stewardship for the world around us.
In my Oxford speech in 1993 I argued for a much greater effort to be made to encourage understanding between the Islamic and Western worlds. My firm belief in the importance of that process has not changed. The harm that will be done to both cultures if ignorance and prejudice persist - or grow - will be incalculable. There are many ways in which this understanding and appreciation can be built. But even if we begin with a simple understanding of the sacred, which permeates every aspect of our world, there is the potential for establishing new and valuable links between Islamic civilisation and the West. Perhaps, for instance, we could begin by having more Muslim teachers in British schools, or by encouraging exchanges of teachers. Everywhere in the world people are seemingly wanting to learn English. But in the West, in turn, we need to be taught by Islamic teachers how to learn once again with our hearts, as well as our heads... The approaching Millennium may be the ideal catalyst for helping to explore and stimulate these links, and I hope we shall not ignore the opportunity this gives us to rediscover the spiritual underpinning of our entire existence. For myself, I am convinced that we cannot afford, for the health and sustainability of a civilised existence, any longer to ignore these timeless features of our world. A sense of the sacred can, I believe, help provide the basis for developing a new relationship of understanding which can only enhance the relations between our two faiths - and indeed between all faiths - for the benefit of our children and future generations."

wow so much love for charles :shock:

Salam

I shall not be responding to the disrespectful remarks from Darth Vader concerning the good works of Her Majesty.

Insolent boy !

Omrow

lol

omrow, your posts are everything about charles: he speaks abbout...

but what does he do?

any1 can talk

or sit on the royal toilet seat

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

[b]The Prince of Wales speaks in London about the materialistic modern world[/b]

10th July 1996

I wanted to say a few words about a subject which I suspect is not often discussed on occasions like this - the importance of the sacred in the modern world.
During the last three centuries the Western world has seen the growth of a damaging division in the way in which we see and understand the world around us.
Science has tried to assume a monopoly - or rather a tyranny - over our understanding of the world around us.
Religion and science have become separated, and science has attempted to separate the natural world from God, with the result that it has fragmented the cosmos and placed the sacred into a separate, and secondary, compartment of our understanding, divorced from the practical day to day world of man.
We are only now beginning to understand the disastrous results of this outlook. The Western world has lost a sense of the wholeness of our environment, and of our inalienable responsibility for the whole of creation.
This has led to an increasing failure to appreciate or understand tradition and the wisdom of our forebears accumulated over the centuries.
But what is it about tradition and traditional values that, at the mere mention of these words, normally intelligent people go into paroxysms of rage and indignation - even vilification?
Is it because they feel threatened? It is as if tradition represented the enemy of man’s lofty ambition; the “primitive” force which acts as an unwelcome reminder - deep in our subconscious - of the ultimate folly of believing that the purpose and meaning of life on this Earth lie in creating a material form of Utopia - a world in which Technology becomes a “virtual reality” God; the arbiter of virtual reality ethics - and thus the eventual murderer of the Soul of Mankind.
To my mind, tradition is not a man-made element in our lives - it is a God-given awareness of the natural rhythms and of the fundamental harmony engendered by a union of the paradoxical opposites in every aspect of nature.
Tradition reflects the timeless order, and yet disorder, of the cosmos and anchors us into a harmonious relationship with the great mysteries of the Universe. Some scientists claim to have discovered the origins of the Universe and explain it all quite confidently in terms of a Big Bang.
If it was a Big Bang, then I suggest it was a controlled explosion. Likewise, I believe that Man is much more than just a biological phenomenon resting on “the bottom line” of the great balance sheet of life where art and culture are increasingly in danger of becoming optional extras in life - so contrary to the Muslim craftsman or artist’s traditional outlook which was never concerned with display for its own sake, nor with progressing ever forward in his own ingenuity, but was content to submit his craft to God.
While appreciating that this essential innocence has been destroyed, I do believe that the survival of civilized values, as we have inherited them from our ancestors, depends on the corresponding survival in our hearts of that profound sense of the sacred.
Let me give you three examples. Whatever the scientists may say, the disjunction between religion and science, between the material world and a sense of the sacred, has important practical consequences for our every day lives.
In medicine it has led to a one-sided and largely materialist approach to healthcare, and a failure to understand the wholeness of the healing process.
Hospitals need to be designed, for instance, to reflect the wholeness of healing if they are to help the process of recovery in a more complete way.
And modern medicine is too often a one-dimensional approach to illness which, however sophisticated, can still benefit from the help of more traditional approaches.
Our Environment has suffered beyond our worst nightmares, in part because of a one-sided approach to economic development which, until recently, failed to take account of the inter-relatedness of creation, and the importance of finding a sustainable balance working within the grain of nature and understanding the necessity of limits.
This, for example, is why protection of our environment is such a relatively recent concern; and why organic and sustainable farming are so important if we are to use the land in a way which will safeguard its ability to nourish future generations.
A third area in which this separation of the material and spiritual has dramatic consequences is architecture. I believe this separation lies at the heart of the failure of so much modern architecture to understand the essential spiritual quality and the traditions from which come buildings with which people feel comfortable and in which they want to live.
Titus Buckhardt wrote: “It is the nature of art to rejoice the soul, but not every art possess a spiritual dimension."
We see this so clearly in the intricate geometric and arabesque patterns of Islamic art and architecture which are all ultimately a manifestation of Divine Unity - the central message of the Qur’an. After all, the Prophet himself said: “God is beautiful and He loves beauty.”
Look at urban planning. Ibn Khaldun, that great historian, understood that the intimate relationship between city life and tranquillity was an essential basis for civilised and spiritual life. Can we ever again return to such harmony? As civilisations decay, so do the crafts, as Ibn Khaldun again wrote.
I believe all these principles come down in the end to a battle for preserving civilized values. It is a battle which defines the work of my Institute of Architecture.
It is a battle to restore an understanding of the spiritual integrity of our lives, and for reintegrating what the modern world has fragmented. The Islamic world has preserved this integrated spiritual view of the world around us to a degree that we have not managed in the West.
There is much for us to learn from Islam in this respect - and I have mentioned this in a speech I gave in Oxford three years ago, entitled - “Islam and the West.”
I believe strongly that a world in which science and religion form an integrated part of a common understanding of our world will be better balanced, wiser and more civilized.
I do so hope that you, as people who operate in the very modern world of business and finance, will use your influence to help overcome this misunderstanding, and promote the important principle of wholeness which Islam can still teach us in the West.
It is one way in which we can help that process of understanding and tolerance between the Western and Islamic worlds which will remain of such importance to our common future.

Prince charles got 2 D's at A-level...........and then went on to wasi t cambridge uni or oxford?

terrible

and he got a 2:2 in a geograpy degree

geogrpahy!!

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

[b]The Prince of Wales speaks about the true Islam after the London Tube bombings[/b]

Thursday 14th July 2005

The events of the past week have shocked everyone in the United Kingdom. At noon today, when the country stops for two minutes’ silence, we have a chance to remember and reflect.
Our thoughts and prayers will be with those caught up in these terrible events, and we will recall with gratitude the wonderful work of the emergency services. The way in which London has coped in the past week is, I think, a cause for real national pride.
News of the breakthrough in the Police investigation has now switched media attention from the victims to the perpetrators of this monstrous crime. Inevitably, people will be asking how it might be that young men brought up in this country can set out to cause such grief and mayhem among their fellow citizens.
Although the facts are not yet clear, it is difficult to escape the conclusion that some deeply evil influence has been brought to bear on these impressionable young minds. We seem to be seeing a cycle, from Bali to Baghdad, from New York to London, of willing recruits sacrificing their young lives to slaughter innocent people in some inhuman cause.
Some may think this cause is Islam. It is anything but. It is a perversion of traditional Islam. As I understand it, Islam preaches humanity, tolerance and a sense of community, as do Christianity, Judaism and all the great faiths. It is for this reason that so many Muslims have been quick to condemn these and other atrocities. They are right to say that these acts have nothing to do with any true faith.
Those who claim to have murdered in the name of Islam have no care for the lives they have so brutally destroyed. Offended by the good relations between faiths and cultures, the extremists seek to break up the communities that make up our modern, multi-cultural society.
Britain has the proudest tradition of accommodating new communities. Over recent centuries we have seen how, first Protestants, then Jews, then Muslims, Sikhs and Hindus, have enhanced not just the towns and cities where they have settled, but the whole of society.
If we are to sustain this tradition, and the other great British virtues of good neighbourliness, tolerance and pragmatism, it is vital that everyone resists the temptation to condemn the Muslim community for the actions of such a tiny and evil minority. If we succumb to that temptation, the bombers will have achieved their aim.
Likewise, in my view, it is the duty of every true Muslim to condemn these atrocities and root out those among them who preach and practice such hatred and bitterness. Muslims will do this not just because of their faith, but because it is the duty of us all to respect and uphold the law.
Two generations or so after the Blitz, the resilience and courage of Londoners have again inspired the world. If the United Kingdom’s many communities can now show, by their determination to work together, that they can stamp out the wickedness which perpetrated these terrible crimes, we will once more have set an example for history.

The Prince of Wales [b]speaks[/b] about the true Islam after the London Tube bombings

The Prince of Wales [b]speaks [/b]in London about the materialistic modern world

The Prince of Wales [b]speaks [/b]in Wilton Park about the need for SACREDNESS in human life

The Prince of Wales [b]speaks[/b] after the September 11 attacks

The Prince of Wales [b]speak[/b] on Islam at the Oxford University on 27th October 1993

Mr Row, Om Row

you see.....thats all he does speak

any1 could do that

a real king or prince would do something about it, like Henry the 8th!! :twisted:

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

Salam

Yes. He can speak very well.

He has charisma.

And before you start asking me who is charisma.

I will tell you that she is not a woman. She is a quality.

Omrow

but what does speaking alone achieve omrow?

i can do that, you can just about do that

what his role?

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

In our dreams. I would like to see you speak like HRH.

Asalamualaikum!

No offence Omrow but i preferred Princess Diana she did a lot.

Im nt sayin that Prince Charles is nt tryin coz he is in sum wayz but bout HRH The Queen, i dunno :roll:

nway, at the end of the day we shuld hav respect for every human being as we hav no rite to judge any1.

"Duniya toh badalti rehti hai...Ey mere Quaid tuh kabhi Na badal janaa"

Princess Diana was great, n some of her niceness rubbed off onto the charles man.

But i agree with Darth wen he says talkin alone from a royal is really not enuff, especially wen Princess Diana was more of a do-er than a say-er.

N i also agree with Darth wen he says the Prince has Satallite Dishes for ears.

Mayb the satallites are there so he can receive special transmittions while he's talking, and infact some1 is tellin him exactly wat to say!!!!! :evil: :twisted:

_____________- -SupeRazor- -_______________

Some ppl make their goals the stars.
They may live n die n never reach the stars,
but in the darkness of the night, those stars will guide them to their destination.
Becuz they made them in their eyesight

looool!! Lol

careful, he may have picked that up :shock:

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

Altho he has a couple of well tunes satallites hes too dum to realise nefin unless he's spoonfed it, what can you expect off a Double D student?

_____________- -SupeRazor- -_______________

Some ppl make their goals the stars.
They may live n die n never reach the stars,
but in the darkness of the night, those stars will guide them to their destination.
Becuz they made them in their eyesight

im gona resist the temptation to crack a joke on that last comment of yours!!

charles is clever, he deserves credit

bush the stupid dude gets caught out all the time

he should grow his ears too

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Darth V-Hayder" wrote:
im gona resist the temptation to crack a joke on that last comment of yours!!

charles is clever, he deserves credit

bush the stupid dude gets caught out all the time

he should grow his ears too

umm being sarcy?

Cuz i dont think they can or should grow anymore! :shock:

Prince Charles saving the environment, paleeze he's a hypocrite. This man drives around in sports cars, which emit more toxic fumes than the vehicles us regular folks use.

He jets off around the world regularly, as if he is just catching a bus.

He has palaces decked with oak furniture.

He places restrictions on certain listed houses, from using double glazed windows and doors. Even though the pvc frames would last longer than wood, and would keep out noise pollution, and of course save on energy bills, all because he want's to retain the original features of the building. This coming from a man who wants to apparently save the earth?

So when prince Charles tells the public it's arrogance of man that has caused global warming and natural disasters, I can't but help think this man is arrogant himself because he is part of the problem and can't see it. The wealthy consume more, and are destroying the earth to a greater degree. Yet they are usually the last who are willing to change their ways.

I mean why should the royals tell us to catch buses when they drive around in aston martins?

Of course I agree we all need to take steps to protect the environment, but Prince Charles isn't the right embassador for this cause.

"Omrow" wrote:
Salam

This thread is dedicated to my Prince.

I love the dedicated work Prince Charles does in so many areas of concern: To save the environment, to promote religious harmony, and so many other areas such as the agriculture in England, the health of our nation, the heritage of Britain, the architecture in our cities, and all the trusts and charities and so on.

Presently HRH is on a visit to the United States.

I will post here some wonderful speeches of HRH The Prince Of Wales.

Please do feel free to give your opinons on these texts.

God keep the next King of England.

Omrow

dedicated work???

like wot????

cheating on his wife, n then in some conspiracy he killed her, then married the s**g he was having an affair with (camilla, for those who r not aware)

his kids aint exactly anything to be proud off, a drunken slob (harry) who cheated on his exams, n now he's joined the army (we're seriously f***ed)

not exactly something to shout about from the roof tops is it

n finally i think charles' big ears really sum up my argument, how can anyone take that man seriously

Got to agree wiv mujahidah and razor princess Diana was soooo much better instead of speakin she actually went out there and helped people. She even touched kids with hiv and aids when nobody else would think they were gona catch it. Thats what you call a real queen, not our queen that sits on her fat a**, and what is wiv that wave if you can call it that. Its only after Diana died she started attending charity functions etc. An Charles dont even get me started on him and that s**t Camilla.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

"Naz" wrote:
Got to agree wiv mujahidah and razor princess Diana was soooo much better instead of speakin she actually went out there and helped people. She even touched kids with hiv and aids when nobody else would think they were gona catch it. Thats what you call a real queen, not our queen that sits on her fat a**, and what is wiv that wave if you can call it that. Its only after Diana died she started attending charity functions etc. An Charles dont even get me started on him and that s**t Camilla.

lol last time ppl compared camilla to a crocodile, oh wait or was it a horse!

Princess Diana was great, the only thing that stands out bout Prince Charles are his ears!

Hey speaking about is the second step. (number 1 being thinking about it, 3 being actually doing something)

A royal will always get criticised, but the british monarchy is only by name. They cannot do anything. just speak.

He has done his bit.

But saying he is charismatic is just pushing it a little bit. He has none. not an ounce. Nada. zilch.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

'But saying he is charismatic is just pushing it a little bit. He has none. not an ounce. Nada. zilch.'

couldnt agree wiv u more Biggrin

"quote" wrote:

Royal Tour Comes To California

POINT REYES STATION, Calif., Nov. 5, 2005
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prince Charles, center, greets the crowd after touring the West Marin Farmer's market with his wife, Camilla, at Point Reyes Station, Calif., Saturday, Nov. 5, 2005. (AP)

"I think it's news that Charles comes to a tiny little town like this and pays attention to what we're trying to do."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mary Eubank, 72

(AP) Prince Charles was greeted as an eco-hero Saturday, as he and his wife Camilla were welcomed warmly to this staunchly environmentalist northern California town.

Several hundred people lined the main street of tiny Point Reyes Station, north of San Francisco, to greet the prince and Duchess of Cornwall on their visit to the local organic farmers' market. The atmosphere was part festive parade, part political rally — and quintessentially, quirkily Californian.

Amid the British and American flags waving in the crowd were signs protesting telephone masts and pesticides, placards declaring "War is not organic," and even a handwritten sign proclaiming "Charles for governor."

Motorcyclist Roland Khin drove up and down the street, his Suzuki bike bedecked with British and American flags.

"I grew up with British culture, and I love everything about England," said Burmese-born Khin, dressed head-to-toe in studded black motorcycle leathers.

Less Anglophile residents of this community in eco-friendly Marin County — one of the first in the United States to ban genetically modified crops — were impressed by Charles' environmental credentials.

The prince is a firm supporter of environmentalist causes, and runs an organic farm on his Highgrove estate in western England. He also has a multimillion-pound (dollar) line of organic foods, Duchy Originals, whose profits go to charity.

In a recent interview, he urged support for small-scale farmers, saying he feared agri-business would end up "completely industrializing the landscape."

"I think it's news that Charles comes to a tiny little town like this and pays attention to what we're trying to do," said Mary Eubank, 72.

The couple spent more than an hour touring Point Reyes' farmers' market, chatting to stallholders and sampling some of the organic produce on offer.

The duchess enthusiastically tasted cheese, green beans, an apple and a hearty vegetarian stew of butternut squash, pumpkin, beans and cream.

"I'm eating my way around here — luckily I've got a good appetite," she said.

She declined an oyster, however, saying: "I daren't."

The couple also popped into the town's Old Western Saloon, where the duchess sipped a half pint of Lagunitas IPA. Charles tried a pint of local Boothammer ale, offering a sip to bar owner Judy Borello.

"Hey, the prince shared his beer with me!" she said. "He's such a lovely guy."

The prince and duchess are spending more than three days in the San Francisco Bay Area, as their weeklong U.S. tour shifts from the power centers of New York and Washington to remoter communities, and issues close to the prince's heart — organic agriculture and sustainable food production.

Saturday's market visit was followed by lunch on an organic farm in nearby Bolinas, and the couple also plan to visit a Berkeley school organic garden sponsored by chef Alice Waters.

Charles and Camilla flew to San Francisco late Friday after a brief stop in New Orleans, where they saw a neighborhood obliterated by Hurricane Katrina in August and met pupils at a newly reopened school.

The tour, which also included stops in New York and Washington, marks an international coming-out for 58-year-old Camilla, who married the prince in April.

On the whole, crowds have responded warmly to Camilla by a country with fond memories of the glamorous Princess Diana, although some in the media have criticized her appearance, noting her preference for dull, dark colors and her sometimes unruly hair.

But Camilla, who wore a navy blue trouser suit for Saturday's visit, had some fans in California.

"To heck with her frizzy hairdo," said Donna Sheehan, 75, as she waited for the couple to arrive. "We love it.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes