Ban on Valentine's Day cards at school

A primary school in Weston-super-Mare has been criticised for banning Valentine cards to save pupils the "emotional trauma" of being rejected.

Children at Ashcombe Primary School were stopped from exchanging cards because the head teacher said they were not emotionally mature enough to cope.

Peter Turner told parents of the 430 pupils that cards would be confiscated.

One pupil's mother said: "I think it's outrageous. They're just children. Why spoil their fun?"

The woman, whose son attends the school, said: "It's comical really. I couldn't believe it when I saw the newsletter.

"My son is six and he's had a little girlfriend since nursery. They say they're going to get married, but we don't read anything into it."

Mr Turner said in the newsletter that children get upset when they are "dumped" which interrupts their learning.

Read more @

Thats stupid.

It'll help prepare them for rejection later on.

De... wait for it... nied! lol

Primary school kids dont know wat all ths valentines biz is abot anyway. So shud any1 really giv a cr@p?

Back in BLACK

i don't think the school should ban it, just don't promote it. i mean they encourage kids to make valentines cards for their parents and bring them home, but then tell kids sorry kids you can't exchange them in school. Isn't this confusing kids further?

I think it's more "comical" that the parent above thinks its cool for a 6 yr old to have a girlfriend. Ok so they're not going on hot dates together but i think it's part of this whole tweeny bop culture, forcing kids to grow up before their time, to be sexual individuals before they have even reached puberty. When i was growing up kids age of 6 would say ew to opposite gender just holding hands, but today it's cool and even encourage for them to have g/f and b/f?

kids should be kids. kids do not think about opposite gender at 6 yrs old, unless society or individuals drum it into their heads.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

It's amazing - V day is very much over the top here in Egypt compared to the UK....everyone goes really all out...however, I like the fact that V day here doesnt just focus on the love between a man and woman...here teachers get presents from students and parents get presents from their kids..

I've very much enjoyed V day today! Blum 3