The imams on sufi

Imam Al-Shaf'i:

"If a person excercized sufism(tasawafa) at the begininng of the day, he doesn't come at Zuhur except an idiot".

"Nobody accompanied the Sufis forty days and had his brain return(never) "

And he recited in poetry: " And leave (alone) who if came to you practiced piety/ and when alone were concealed wolves"-Pgs 371 Talbees Iblis

And when he went to Egypt he said: "I have left Baghdad and the aetheists(Zanadiga) have innovated a thing they call Sama'(Hearing)" - He is referring to the singinig and dancing that the Sufis innovated in the second century and is still spread amongst them till the present day.

N.B: Notice how Imam Al-Shafi' who was Malik's student opposed Sufism. One wonders how some beleive in what was ascribed to Imam Malik concerning Sufism( Man tasawwafa walam yatafaghaha-etc). There exists different views amongst the two Imams in Fiqh matters but this is a matter of Aqidah, they have one and the same Aqidah.

Imam Ahmed Bin Hanbal:

" Warn (people) from Al-Harith( a Sufi leader) the strongest warning!!Al-Harith is the origin of the confusion(referring to the incidents of Jahm- . Fulan and Fulan have sat with that (person) and he has changed them to Jahm's view, He is still the shelter of the people of the talk. Harith is in the position of a garrisonned lion any day (he) will leap on the people"-Talbees Iblis Pgs166-167.

Imam Abu Zara' Al-Dimashqi:

When asked about the books of Al-Harith Al-Muhasbi: "Beware of those books. those are books of innovation and misguidance.Stick to what has been related from the prophet-saaws-(Al-Athar), you will find in it what would spare you those books. It was told to him:There is a lesson(Ibra) in those books. He said: Whoever doesn't find a lesson from the book of Allah, would not find a lesson in those books. It has reached you that Malik bin Anas, Sufyan AL-Thawri, Al-Awzai and the precedent Imamas classified those books amongst the anxieties, insinuations and those(similar) things. Those(meaning the Sufis) people contradicted the people of knowledge ( Ahl Al-Elm), they come to us once by Al-Harith Al-Muhasbi, another by Abdul-Raheem Al-Dubeeli, another by Hatim Al-Asam, another by Shaqiq Al-Bulakhi, then he said: how fast are people (going ) to innovations(Al-Bida')."

When you cut and paste, can you also please link to the sources? It is a politeness to do that.

Also, the same imam shafi you quote also said:

(Be both) a faqih and a sufi: do not be only one of them, Verily, by Allah's truth, I am advising you sincerely.

[al-Shafi`i, Diwan, (Beirut and Damascus: Dar al-fikr) p. 47]

So it seems that you are taking his words out of context - he was asking people to have balance. and that latter quote even encourages people to take up tasawwuf.

(might I also add that you lack historical insight? there was an early movement during the ummayad caliphate - which at times was brutal towards many highly respected muslims - where many people decided to abandon the worldly side of things to avoid being corrupted. Imam sha'fi amongst many others discouraged separating from the real world. this was later even codified by later sufis and became the normal behaviour to not become totally separate from the world.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

brother it depends to what you mean by sufi, at the begining sufis were people who simply loved poetry, they were good followed the truth but were called sufi for the love of poetry and many other arts which didnt include dancing, or following any haram innovation, even ibn tamiyyah was a sufi, BUT he was a sufi interms of loving poems which the original sufi used to do, but later on the sufism got corrupted and started adding bidah shirk and many other things in it, and that sufism neither imam shafi or ibn tamiyyah were part of.

Stop backtracking. I am not the one who decided to attack the term "sufi", you did. Now stand your ground.

You could have just as easily attacked specific actions that you saw as wrong, but you did not and instead decided on a blitzkreig. But when your sources were found wanting, either accept that you made a mistake, or stand your ground. Leave weaseling out of things to weasels, and technicalities to lawyers.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

all this specific actions are done by sufis and barelvis today, no different to shias main belief about ali RA, you sufi and barelvis main beliefs include many bidah and shirk, in other words like shia when you say shia you reffer to the shias itself, when you say sufi and barelvi today you are reffering to the sufism itself which has all those belief in it,as for sufis it depends on the individual, but for sufism its the actual thing itself, so tell me then what do you believe and list it an i'll refute it with ease tomorrow

specifics, woman.

What are these actions you are talking about? WHat exactly is it that they do that you find so apalling? if you mention them, someone may agree with you.

Do they do three sajdahs in prayer? do they colour their hair green? do they do backflips down the street? which actions are "like the shois"?

right now you are like the queen of hyperbole - making many statements without really saying anything concrete and specific.

Imam Abu Hanifa (85 H. - 150 H) said: "If it were not for two years, I would have perished." He said, "for two years I accompanied Sayyidina Ja'far as-Sadiq and I acquired the spiritual knowledge that made me a Sufi in the Way." [Ad-Durr al-Mukhtar, vol 1. p. 43]

Imam Malik (95 H. - 179 H.) said: "Whoever studies Jurisprudence / Fiqh [tafaqaha] and didn't study Sufism [tasawwaf] will be corrupted; and whoever studied Sufism and didn't study Jurisprudence will become a heretic; and whoever combined both will reach the Truth." ['Ali al-Adawi , vol. 2, p 195]

Imam Shafi'i (150 - 205 AH.) said: "I accompanied the Sufi people and I received from them three strands of knowledge: ...how to speak; how to treat people with leniency and a soft heart... and they... guided me in the ways of Sufism." [Kashf al-Khafa, 'Ajluni, vol. 1, p 341.]

Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal (164 - 241 AH.) the said: "O my son, you have to sit with the People of Sufism, because they are like a fountain of knowledge and they keep the Remembrance of Allah in their hearts. they are the ascetics and they have the most spiritual power." [Tanwir al-Qulub p. 405]

i can copy and paste too!

Assalaamu 'alaykum wa rahmatullah,

Tasawwuf is commonly referred to as Sufism. Traditional scholars of Tasawwuf, also known as Sufi Scholars, adhered completely to the Shari'ah of Allah (swt) in their understanding and implementation of purification of the heart, holding firmly to the Qur'an and Sunnah.

Later on there were deviant Muslims who claimed affiliation with Sufism, spreading misguidance and falsehood, whilst misrepresenting the true science of Tasawwuf. Many who label themselves as “Sufis” (following sufism) today follow unislamic practises and some even commit shirk by calling on others than Allah (swt). It is important to note, however, that there are still many Muslims who implement the science correctly.

Just because one labels oneself a sufi, does not mean that they are implementing tasawwuf correctly....

Looking at your last few posts Awlia, it seems that you have a "chip on your shoulder".

Believe me, if you live in the UK the last worry on your mind should be attacking other groups of muslims (whether they are right or wrong).

Open your eyes as your vision is clouded.

[img]http//i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/fanafilllah/sig6.jpg[/img]

UniteTheUmmah wrote:
Just because one labels oneself a sufi, does not mean that they are implementing tasawwuf correctly....

...So (I assume that you agree) it is better for people who are trying to get a point across to focus on the unislamic aspects they see people focus on.

Noor wrote:
Imam Abu Hanifa (85 H. - 150 H) said: "If it were not for two years, I would have perished." He said, "for two years I accompanied Sayyidina Ja'far as-Sadiq and I acquired the spiritual knowledge that made me a Sufi in the Way." [Ad-Durr al-Mukhtar, vol 1. p. 43]

Imam Malik (95 H. - 179 H.) said: "Whoever studies Jurisprudence / Fiqh [tafaqaha] and didn't study Sufism [tasawwaf] will be corrupted; and whoever studied Sufism and didn't study Jurisprudence will become a heretic; and whoever combined both will reach the Truth." ['Ali al-Adawi , vol. 2, p 195]

Imam Shafi'i (150 - 205 AH.) said: "I accompanied the Sufi people and I received from them three strands of knowledge: ...how to speak; how to treat people with leniency and a soft heart... and they... guided me in the ways of Sufism." [Kashf al-Khafa, 'Ajluni, vol. 1, p 341.]

Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal (164 - 241 AH.) the said: "O my son, you have to sit with the People of Sufism, because they are like a fountain of knowledge and they keep the Remembrance of Allah in their hearts. they are the ascetics and they have the most spiritual power." [Tanwir al-Qulub p. 405]

i can copy and paste too!

hey get your research done, thats a fabricated writing made by the shias to back their evidence up, do you even know who abu hanifas teacher was? his teacher was imam hammad, ismail ibn hammad, here read this:
Imam Abu Hanifah's education took place in Kufah, in the school originally established by Ibn Mas'ud. Like other 'ulama of his time, he used to go to Hijaz for Hajj, and passing through Madinah, he used to benefit from the knowledge of eminent men of learning, such as the father of Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq, namely Imam Muhammad al-Baqir. Many of the ahaadith he narrates from Imam Muhammad al-Baqir are documented in the books of his pupils Abu Yusuf and Muhammad ibn al-Hasan.

second of all sufis of the old days werent corrupt people like yous lot, sufi back then were reffered to people who loved poems, like ibn tamiyyah, they were the sufi, and sufi simply because they loved poems and art, not dancing like monkeys and doing haram, but as time went sufis got corrupted and turned into a disgrace which sufism is today.

read the articles i posted try doing that and all the sufism error is their, from the fabrication of jaffar as sidik to many other things, by the time jaffas as siddik even started learning imam abu hanifa was in a different elague, second of all imam abu hanifas teacher are in a chain that leads to Abdullah ibn Mas'ud RA thats were he was educated, not by jaffas as siddik something the shias fabricated and amde up.

Assalaamu 'alaykum,

No, just pointing out not everyone who claims to be a sufi is implementing tasawwuf correctly, so we shouldn't label all those who claim to be sufis to be either misguided or on the right way.

UniteTheUmmah wrote:
Assalaamu 'alaykum,

No, just pointing out not everyone who claims to be a sufi is implementing tasawwuf correctly, so we shouldn't label all those who claim to be sufis to be either misguided or on the right way.

yes i agree with you brother, but i am talking about sufism/ sufism of today also known as neo sufi, obviously in the past people who reffered to themselves as sufis were people who loved poems, so if your that kind of sufi then yes you are correct and their is no problem with that, however if your a barelvi sufi,/ as i said the sufism of today then when i say that im reffering to the actual sufism of today, and not including the sufi who dont follow the barelvi sufi tareeqah.

asalaamualaikum

"Sufis Rule!" - Danny DeVito, The Jewel of the Nile.

awlia wrote:
...hey get your research done, thats a fabricated writing made by the shias...

hang on... something totally separate here... off topic if you call it... since I presume the shias do not accept the sunni imams, why would they make up such "false" claims?

awlia wrote:
...second of all sufis of the old days werent corrupt people like yous lot...

You keep saying that but without evidence. you are insulting all sufis, including these.

UniteTheUmmah wrote:
...and some even commit shirk by calling on others than Allah (swt)...

Just something to clarify, while there are scholars against this, they consider it bid'ah, not shirk.

It can become shirk IF the person doing the calling expects to receive help from outside the power of God as opposed to God giving the individual power.

Those that are against this are of the opinion:

1. It is useless,
2. It is not something that has been recommended in qur'an and hadith, and hence a bid'ah that can *lead to* shirk if the person has wrong intentions, but is not shirk of itself.

Those that are for it are of the opinion:

1. There is a verse in the qur'an which can be translated something like "if people have transgressed against themselves, they should go to you (O prophet (saw))" (not a literal translation and inshallah I have not got the translation too far wrong).
2. they use the hadith of the blind man where the prophet saw taught a blind sahabi a prayer to read which called upon the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him)
3. Then there is the hadith of the man in need who (a sahabi I think) used the same dua after the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) had passed away.

The first group then reply that that hadith is ONLY allowing asking the Prophet (saw), while the second group sometimes delegates it further.

The whole point of this post is NOT to say that is is allowed or not, but just to say that it is not shirk without the wrong intentions and if it makes people uncomfortable, by all means stay away from it. I did til I read the ahadith, and I still avoid it even afterwards, even though I logically know that there is nothing wrong with it, it being following the sunnah.

awlia wrote:
tell me then what do you believe and list it an i'll refute it with ease tomorrow

Nice.

You wrote:
awlia wrote:
...hey get your research done, thats a fabricated writing made by the shias...

hang on... something totally separate here... off topic if you call it... since I presume the shias do not accept the sunni imams, why would they make up such "false" claims?

awlia wrote:
...second of all sufis of the old days werent corrupt people like yous lot...

You keep saying that but without evidence. you are insulting all sufis, including these.

why would shias make false claims, why did qadianis make false claims?

i keep saying that without evidence, didnt i post the the article of SUFISM AND ITS ORIGINS
has the whole history of sufi, so yeah i do have the evidence.

Omrow wrote:

"Sufis Rule!" - Danny DeVito, The Jewel of the Nile.

the original sufis rule, the current sufi= liers and innovaters

You wrote:
UniteTheUmmah wrote:
...and some even commit shirk by calling on others than Allah (swt)...

Just something to clarify, while there are scholars against this, they consider it bid'ah, not shirk.

It can become shirk IF the person doing the calling expects to receive help from outside the power of God as opposed to God giving the individual power.

Those that are against this are of the opinion:

1. It is useless,
2. It is not something that has been recommended in qur'an and hadith, and hence a bid'ah that can *lead to* shirk if the person has wrong intentions, but is not shirk of itself.

Those that are for it are of the opinion:

1. There is a verse in the qur'an which can be translated something like "if people have transgressed against themselves, they should go to you (O prophet (saw))" (not a literal translation and inshallah I have not got the translation too far wrong).
2. they use the hadith of the blind man where the prophet saw taught a blind sahabi a prayer to read which called upon the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him)
3. Then there is the hadith of the man in need who (a sahabi I think) used the same dua after the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) had passed away.

The first group then reply that that hadith is ONLY allowing asking the Prophet (saw), while the second group sometimes delegates it further.

The whole point of this post is NOT to say that is is allowed or not, but just to say that it is not shirk without the wrong intentions and if it makes people uncomfortable, by all means stay away from it. I did til I read the ahadith, and I still avoid it even afterwards, even though I logically know that there is nothing wrong with it, it being following the sunnah.

since the argument is with unite the umman, its best i let him deal with it, but jsut to let everyone know, anyone if they want can answer any questions or posts diurected at me, you have full permissio from me.

asalamualaikum