Dad of soldier killed in Iraq tells Tony Blair: My son's blood is on your hands

Grieving Peter Brierley went to yesterday's St Paul's Cathedral service for those who died in Iraq to pay tribute to the memory of his 29-year-old son Shaun.

But at a reception afterwards, as Mr Brierley found himself face-to-face with Tony Blair, he could not hold back his fury.

He said: "I'm not shaking your hand, you've got blood on it."

After Mr Blair was swiftly ushered away, Mr Brierley added: "I understand soldiers go to war and die. But they have to go to war for a good reason and be properly equipped to fight.

"I believe Tony Blair is a war criminal. I can't bear to be in the same room as him. I can't believe he's been allowed to come to this reception."

Read more @

Tags: 

ridiculous.

this guy chose to work for the army.

the iraqis who have died - Blair might very well be responsible for some of their deaths, but not british soldiers'.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

I doubt it - I am quite sure conscription is a thing of the past.

The closest to such a thing would be pride and honour demanding it, but legally, no.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
I am quite sure conscription is a thing of the past.

A number of contingencies might belie that idea. Mandatory national service has been mooted a few times, typically at moments of high alert.
  • It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

Or the future. What I meant was that I doubt the US (or most others) have conscription *right now*.

While conscription may not be favourable outside the harshest of conditions, I do think some sort of mandatory training (at a young age, maybe even as part of under16/under 18 education) could be a good idea. Like a bootcamp or something. Sounds fun.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

wednesday wrote:
Summing up, so it does happen but not right now?

There are lots of countries with mandatory military service, if that's what you mean.

Don't just do something! Stand there.