Abused Asian men's lives 'living hell'

More South Asian men married to British women are becoming the victims of domestic violence, it has been revealed.

The National Men's Advice Line found 9% of calls for help to its service last year were made by men originally from countries such as India, Pakistan and Bangladesh.

Pakistani Mahmood Muhammad (not his real name) married a British-born Asian woman four years ago. Her family promised him that he could finish his degree in Pakistan before joining her to live permanently in West Yorkshire.

His mother thought his future in-laws were an honourable family, so also decided to let his sister marry his wife's brother in the UK.

After marrying, Mahmood, who is in his 30s, travelled to visit his wife in the UK for a two-week holiday. He planned to return to Pakistan to finish studying. But hours after stepping off the plane his passport was confiscated by his wife's family and he was told he would not be going back.

is brother-in-laws threatened to harm him and his sister if he did not comply with their wishes, and by the end of his first week in Yorkshire he was being forcibly taken to factories in search of work.

He said: "All they wanted was someone to earn money for them. I was being treated like an animal.

"All my dignity and self-respect had been taken away and I was also worried about the threats to my sister. I was powerless to do anything to stop it."

Due to feelings of shame Mahmood decided not to tell his family back in Pakistan.

"My wife would wake me up in the middle of the night and beat me, demanding money, and when I did not have any, my brother-in-laws would come and punch me and beat my back with iron bars. It was a living hell."

For four years he was not allowed to meet his own sister, who lived at a separate address nearby, or even phone her, and the only contact they had was on a handful of occasions. She was also being beaten.

On one occasion, while she was pregnant, she was thrown down stairs, and on another she was punched in the face and pushed into a television...

Read more @

Tags: 

poor guys

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Oh no. Most of the emphasis goes on women and domestic abuse. And plans on how to save or help them.

Do men get similar help?

Most just suck it up I think - I have heard of a couple of cases where the guy is not allowed to leave the house, have any friends etc...

I think most end in divorce once the guy has got his visa, so there may be using from both sides.

There are support groups, and yes, men being the end of serious abuse I think is probably way less than women, but sometimes it is god to keep an eye out as they (men or women) may not be aware of their options, or worse be afraid of any social stigma after the fact.

No idea how common though it is as a percentage - if there is once case in a community of thousands, it still gets heard, or if there are hundreds, they may keep quiet.

(It seems to be the human condition that when you can get a leg up and push others around, many many people would have no qualms about it - some of which you would be shocked at since they seem ever so reasonable at other times. Such things also happen with British expats living abroad who may treat their employees in not the best manner, but also many will value human life and be decent.)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

wednesday wrote:
When we came to UK, we weren't really aware of such things, even my parents. This was happening in our next door neighbour's house (Back in Bradford), well... that was an experience not to be missed Blum 3

This brings up another question... if there is suspicion of such things (against men or women), what avenues are there? It seems the obvious one is to mind your own business, but that may be a bad call... on the other hand if you are wrong with the suspicion, it could lead to a lot of mess too.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

That link does not mention islam, so I don't know how you got that idea.

Also, everyone is (or atleast should be) accountable for their own sins only.

You wrote:
That link does not mention islam, so I don't know how you got that idea.

Also, everyone is (or atleast should be) accountable for their own sins only.

the animal has a Muslim name though, and these kind of attacks by our people are becoming commonplace

Many asians have been selling drugs for a long time. Has that damaged the name of islam too?

I think msot rational people can differentiate between what people do and what their religion says in many cases.

EDIT - also, that is a different topic that the original post. Not that it cannot stay and be discussed here, just needed to be pointed out.

PLUS, there's a difference in terms on which the marriage was based. (This is where if the marriage was kind of emotionally-blackmailing-type-of-arranged, the spouse tend to take it out on their other half)

Visa purposes, to get the chance to be abroad is different from what marriage should really be about. The lack of trust, the increasing insecurity, family bonds, and poo stirrers ruin more than just a relationship. I see snobbery, one being better than the other hence that person must dominate.

Avenues: I have no idea, I've never been involved in any such cases, my mum had kept us away from such things even though it was happening right next door.

However, I do know of a reason: "He mustn't send his money "back-home", whatever he earns should be put into providing for his NEW family"