What is hypocrisy?

I would create a poll, but then I would not know what the options are.

The Qur'an has some things to say about hypocrites etc, but how would you know if they are addressing you or not?

Is the simple acto of being human, not being able to practice each and every aspect of islam perfectly mean you are (rather, I am) a hypocrite?

What does it all mean?

being a hypocrite and practising what you preach are two different things.

there are loads of ayahs in the qur'an about hypocrites.

oh my head, those who meet with the believers and then when with the disbelievers they say we don't believe, we are not with the fools but Allah knows, they are the fools. i should get the exact ayah... < they are the hypocrites.

in one of the battles when some ran away, they were the hypocrites.

the man who spent in the way of Allah, not for the sake of Allah but for show. he was a hypocrite.

a hypocrite is someone who says he/she does xyz when in reality they don't and are the opposite of who they say they are.

many don't practice what they preach (me). the way i see it, why shall i deprive someone of getting ajr just because i don't practice that thing? i'm not saying i do that thing, if i did, that would be hypocrisy.

there is a hadith about those who don't pass on knowledge, even if we know a verse, we must share it with others.

wa Allahu Alam

I pretty much agree 100% Noor.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Asalamu alaykum,

There are two kinds of hypocrisy, one is hypocristy of action and hypocrisy of disbelief. Minor hypocrisy is that of action, and major hypocrisy is that of disbelief. This is regarding hypocrisy of disbelief:

It means making an outward display of Islam whilst inwardly concealing kufr. Hypocrisy is more dangerous than kufr (disbelief) and the punishment for it is more severe, because it is kufr mixed with Islam and its harmful effects are greater. Hence Allaah will put the hypocrites in the lowest level of Hell, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, the hypocrites will be in the lowest depth (grade) of the Fire; no helper will you find for them[al-Nisaa’ 4:145]

The hypocrites are always confused, always planning deceit and plots. Although outwardly they appear to be with the believers, inwardly they are with the kaafireen. So sometimes they are inclined towards the believers and sometimes they are inclined towards the kaafireen.

“(They are) swaying between this and that, belonging neither to these nor to those; and he whom Allaah sends astray, you will not find for him a way (to the truth — Islam)”[al-Nisaa’ 4:143 – interpretation of the meaning]

Because of the corruption of their hearts, the hypocrites are the most averse of mankind to the religion of Allaah, as Allaah tells us about them (interpretation of the meaning):

“And when it is said to them: ‘Come to what Allaah has sent down and to the Messenger (Muhammad),’ you (Muhammad) see the hypocrites turn away from you (Muhammad) with aversion”

[al-Nisaa’ 4:61]

The dealings of the hypocrites revolve around their own interests. When they meet the believers, they make a show of belief and loyalty, in order to deceive the believers and as an action of dissimulation, hoping for whatever good and war-booty they have. But when they meet their masters and chiefs, they say, we are with you in your shirk and kufr. Allaah says concerning them (interpretation of the meaning):

“And when they meet those who believe, they say: “We believe,” but when they are alone with their Shayaateen (devils — polytheists, hypocrites), they say: “Truly, we are with you; verily, we were but mocking

Allaah mocks at them and gives them increase in their wrong-doing to wander blindly”[al-Baqarah 2:14-15]

The hypocrites have many characteristics, the worst and most serious of which is disbelief in Allaah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And when it is said to them (hypocrites): ‘Believe as the people (followers of Muhammad, Al-Ansaar and Al-Muhaajiroon) have believed,’ they say: ‘Shall we believe as the fools have believed?’ Verily, they are the fools, but they know not”[al-Baqarah 2:13]

Among their characteristics are enmity and envy (hasad) towards the believers, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“If good befalls you (O Muhammad), it grieves them, but if a calamity overtakes you, they say: ‘We took our precaution beforehand’ and they turn away rejoicing”[al-Tawbah 9:50]

Among their characteristics is mockery of Allaah, His Messenger and His religion. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“If you ask them (about this), they declare: ‘We were only talking idly and joking.’ Say: ‘Was it at Allaah, and His Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) and His Messenger that you were mocking?’

Make no excuse; you disbelieved after you had believed”[al-Tawbah 9:65-66]

Among their characteristics is that they spread corruption on earth, with disbelief, hypocrisy and sins. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And when it is said to them: ‘Make not mischief on the earth,’ they say: ‘We are only peacemakers.’

Verily, they are the ones who make mischief, but they perceive not”[al-Baqarah 2:11-12]

Among their characteristics are slander and lies. Allaah tells us about them (interpretation of the meaning):

“They swear by Allaah that they are truly, of you while they are not of you, but they are a people (hypocrites) who are afraid (that you may kill them)”[al-Tawbah 9:56]

Among their characteristics is that they enjoin what is evil and forbid what is good, and they are stingy with their wealth. Allaah says concerning them (interpretation of the meaning):

“The hypocrites, men and women, are one from another; they enjoin (on the people) Al-Munkar (i.e. disbelief and polytheism of all kinds and all that Islam has forbidden), and forbid (people) from Al-Ma‘roof (i.e. Islamic Monotheism and all that Islam orders one to do), and they close their hands [from giving (spending in Allaah’s Cause) alms]. They have forgotten Allaah, so He has forgotten them. Verily, the hypocrites are the Faasiqoon (rebellious, disobedient to Allaah)”[al-Tawbah 9:67]

Among their characteristics are greed and avarice:

“And of them are some who accuse you (O Muhammad) in the matter of (the distribution of) the alms. If they are given part thereof, they are pleased, but if they are not given thereof, behold! They are enraged![al-Tawbah 9: 58 – interpretation of the meaning]

Among their characteristics is a concern with appearances and fancy speech whilst they are inwardly corrupt. Allaah says concerning them (interpretation of the meaning):

“And when you look at them, their bodies please you; and when they speak, you listen to their words. They are as blocks of wood propped up. They think that every cry is against them. They are the enemies, so beware of them. May Allaah curse them! How are they denying (or deviating from) the Right Path?”[al-Munaafiqoon 63:4]

If the kuffaar are obvious enemies from without, then the hypocrites are hidden enemies from within. They are more harmful and more dangerous to the Muslims, because they mix with them and know their situation.

Hypocrisy of action is a difference between one’s inner thoughts and outward appearance...e.g. where you do a good act which is not solely for the sake of Allah swt, i.e. show off, which is hidden shirk.

Al-Hasan al-Basri said of hypocrisy: No one fears it but a believer, and no one feels safe from it but a hypocrite.

Imam Ahmad was asked: What do you say about one who does not fear hypocrisy for himself? He said: Who can feel safe from hypocrisy? Fath al-Baari by Ibn Rajab (1/178, 179).

The greatest Sahabah (radi Allahu 'anhum) feared hypocrisy of action, such as 'Umar (radi Allahu 'anhu).

It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There are four characteristics, whoever has them all is a pure hypocrite, and whoever has one of them has one of the characteristics of hypocrisy, until he gives it up: when he speaks he lies, when he makes a covenant he betrays it, when he makes a promise he breaks it, and when he disputes he resorts to obscene speech.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (34) and Muslim (58).

It was also narrated (2632) by al-Tirmidhi (may Allaah have mercy on him) who said after it: What this means according to the scholars is hypocrisy of action. It was the hypocrisy of disbelieving at the time of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Something similar was narrated from al-Hasan al-Basri when he said: Hypocrisy is of two types: hypocrisy of action and hypocrisy of disbelief.

Hope that helps. Sorry it's long.

Wa alaykum asalam wa rahmatullah

Thanks for that.

While malicious thoughts/hypocrisy can be avoided, can the non malicious type not simply be being human?

I don't know about others, but I some times struggle with the question of why I do something - either there seems to be no intention present at all, or there are multiple candidates.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Quote:
I don't know about others, but I some times struggle with the question of why I do something - either there seems to be no intention present at all, or there are multiple candidates.

i have been stuggling with that a lot recently.

Asalamu alaykum,

True, one of the hardest things is being sincere. Try to get into the habit of thinking before you do an action, why am I doing it? Cos only deeds which are purely done for the sake of Allah swt are going to be accepted. I used to have a note on my PC to remind me. Remember that on the Day of Judgement your deeds won't benefit you unless you did them seeking Allah's pleasure...and when you meet Allah swt, think abt how happy you will be to meet Him knowing that in this life you performed good deeds seeking His reward, not the reward of any humans.

Don't expect even a thank you from people when you help them...try your best to remember that your reward will be with Allah swt insha'allah.

That's what I think to myself anyway...

Wa alaykum asalam

Salam

Boss created an important topic. Obviously, he has been thinking about it a lot:

You wrote:

The Qur'an has some things to say about hypocrites etc, but how would you know if they are addressing you or not?

Is the simple act of being human, not being able to practice each and every aspect of islam perfectly mean you are (rather, I am) a hypocrite?

What does it all mean?

I shall give you my views here.

Hypocracy is a great sin, according to the Holy Quran. It is not forgiveable.

God hates hypocrites.

If you are a hypocrite, then you will burn in depths of Hell forever and ever.

You will get worse punishment than anyone else.

If you are not a man of your word, then you are a hypocrite.

If you do not fulfill your own words, whose words are you going to fulfill?

Therefore, either dont give your word to anyone, or, when you do give your word, then KEEP IT.

From this, it is easy to test a man to see if he a hypocrite or not.

For women, there is a different criteria.

Hypocrites are found among muslims, Christians, Jews, Atheists, and all sort of people.

Omrow

Asalamu alaykum, regarding what Noor said I just read this which kind of explains it further.

Question: If I exhort my brothers and warn them against some sins, but fall into these sins myself, am I considered a hypocrite? Please advise me, (and) may Allaah reward you with good.

Response: It is obligatory upon you to repent from the sins and exhort your brothers against them. And it is not permissible for you to continue (committing) sins and not advise your brothers, because (doing) this is combining two sins. So it is upon you to repent to Allaah from that, in addition to advising your brothers. This does not make you a hypocrite, however, it does place you in that (state) which is condemned as blameworthy by Allaah in His (Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala) saying:

{Most hateful it is with Allaah that you say that which you do not do}, [Soorah as-Saff, Aayah 3];

{Enjoin you al-Birr (piety and righteousness and each and every act of obedience to Allaah) on the people and you forget (to practise it) yourselves, while you recite the Scripture! Have you then no sense?}, [Soorah al-Baqarah, Aayah 44]

And with Allaah lies all success and may Allaah send prayers and salutations upon our Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) and his family and his companions.

The Permanent Committee for Islaamic Research and Fataawa, comprising -
Head: Shaykh 'Abdul 'Azeez Ibn Abdullaah Ibn Baaz;
Member: Shaykh 'Abdullaah Ibn Ghudayyaan
Member: Shaykh Saalih Ibn Fowzaan;
Member: Shaykh 'Abdul-'Azeez Aal ash-Shaykh;
Member: Shaykh Bakar 'Abdullaah Abu Zayd
Fataawa al-Lajnah ad-Daa.imah lil-Buhooth al-'Ilmiyyah wal-Iftaa., - Volume 12, Page 268, Question 2 of Fatwa No.16920

Thanks for this topic (:

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #