Harrow Mosque 9/11 Counter-Protest: Urgent Advice for Attendees

As some of you may have heard, a coalition of fascist groups are , tomorrow, i.e., on Jumuah, Sept 11, 2009. A counter-protest has been organised by 'Unite Against Fascism', with support from various elements of the London Muslim community.

It is clear that tensions are now running high in the lead up to the event. I, myself, have received numerous text messages from Muslim acquaintances encouraging their fellow Muslims to go "defend the mosque" - without actually explaining what that means. I can't help but feel that this is all reminiscent of several violent clashes between fascist protesters and Muslim youth, that have occurred in the recent past. In this regard, sister Yvonne Ridley gave clear warning to attendees of the protest, via her Facebook profile:

TO EVERYONE going to Harrow Mosque on Friday - be very careful you are not wound up and lured into a trap. There were all sorts of shenanighans [sic] going on during the Bradford riots, but who was arrested? The BNP, the anti Nazi protestors [sic]? Nope, young Muslim men who ended up being sent down for four years.

There's a lot of hype and spin being created by muck stirrers who couldn't g[i]ve a stuff about silencing the BNP but would like to see lots of young Muslims being arrested. Please do not allow yourselves to be led blindly into a situation where you will be set up and compromised. There's going to be a lot of nasty people turning out at Harrow with a whole mixed bag of agendas.

The bad people will not only be the gorillas with knuckles trailing on the ground and wearing England T shirts. Watch out for the 'voices' right at the back goading and inciting those who are pushed to the front. They might seem to be on your side, but when the going gets tough they will scarper out of every copper's reach.

The Bradford youth were hauled before a nasty piece of work called Judge Gillick who thought he was running an Apartheid court in Jo'berg. Collective responsibility was the order of the day and long prison sentences were handed out to those who just turned up to protest.

Please pass on.

Read more @

Ten arrested over mosque protest

Ten people have been arrested during a demonstration outside a mosque in north-west London where an anti-Islamic protest was planned.

At least 1,000 people gathered outside Harrow Central Mosque as activists from Stop Islamification of Europe planned to demonstrate outside the mosque.

Unite Against Fascism were also present to "defend the mosque", they said.

Bricks, bottles and firecrackers were thrown at police officers who were present in riot gear at the scene.

Just after 2000 BST, police said there were a small number of people in the area. Mobile patrols were continuing in a bid to reassure residents.

Read more and watch video @

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I don't think people should counter a protest. Why? well, it's not really defense and it just turns out to be an offense.

Especially Muslims, well Asians mainly. They don't really know how to and that's what turns it into a gigantic hair ball coughed up by a smelly old cat.

Defense is like putting your sheild up NOT shooting arrows when someone throws a stone at you.

Is it only a problem if you get caught firing the arrows?

I doubt many people would take it pleasantly if someone camped right outside their house and protested their presence...

If the group protested in some pub out of the way, that would have been no problem, but instead they decided to harangue and harass the local community.

I just hope the arrests were not of those that reacted, but of the people who started the unrest.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

TBH my opinion has changed on this. I was against counter protest at first, but if you think about it - an average thug is not going to think:

"Ooh, we tried to beat up these Muslims but they stayed away, which means their peaceloving. I'm happy for them to stay in my country now."

They're more likely to think:

"Ha! We got these muzzys running scared! If I get all my mates to join with these protests around the country, all the Muslims will run back home to Islamistan!"

Fighting might cause problems now, but could lead to the Muslim community becoming more confidant and settled in the long run. This is not to say "ALL Muslims should fight" or anything - obviously other things need to be done as well to help real integration (i.e. not dilution).

Look at the civil rights movement: Couldn't have happened without fighting as well as Martin Luther King's speeches.

It gives the less-educated Muslims something to do that can help the population.

Is what I'm saying way off the mark?

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Nah, maybe its simplistic though.

Maybe just turn up and recite qur'an?

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

Dawud wrote:

Simplistic problems require simplistic remedies?

Ya'qub wrote:
Dawud wrote:

Simplistic problems require simplistic remedies?

Lol Yeah I noticed that. Oh well.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

I think the majority arrested were muslims...

but tell me this... if someone started protesting at your presence outside your house and hounded you, how would you respond?

wednesday wrote:
Ignore them unless they turn violent. In that case, call police?

Couldn't that take away a bit of your self respect?

(I'm taking more about the mosque protests than if people were outside your house, here).

Is self respect the same as arrogance? Would getting rid of it make you humble?

You wrote:
Is self respect the same as arrogance? Would getting rid of it make you humble?

Humility is a balance between two extremes of arrogance and utter hopelessness/self-loathing/self-doubt.

But 'communities' (as well as individuals ourselves) can exhibit a range of characteristics both in excess and in deficiency of humility at the same time.

In this case, I can see the rationale of 'not letting them trample all over our lovely flowers'.

Well, not every. Just enough that people get the message. The message? "we will not be intimidated".

Bullying is something that can be prevented a lot of the time and it is normally by letting the bullies know that they will not get their way.

wednesday wrote:
so what do you suggest? Break every nose you can reach?

What did Ali (ra) do? He invited his adversaries to Islam, then he basically said 'ok, at least let me live as a Muslim in peace', and then if they still disagreed, he'd fight them. BUT he'd never strike the first blow.