Girls 'born with fear of spiders'

A new study in the US suggests that women have a genetic aversion to dangerous animals, such as spiders.

The research, published in the New Scientist, says women are born with character traits that were ingrained in our hunter-gatherer ancestors.

As child protectors, they have to shun animals that threaten them or their young off-spring, researchers said.

Previous research suggested women were actually up to four times more likely to be afraid of creatures like spiders.

The new research was headed up by developmental psychologist, Dr David Rakison, from Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, 10 baby girls, and 10 baby boys were subjected to a number of pictures of spiders to gauge their reactions.

First the babies were shown a picture of a spider with a fearful human face, followed by images of a spider paired with a happy face - alongside an image of a flower twinned with a fearful face.

The results showed that the girls - some as young as 11 months old - looked longer at the picture of the happy face with a spider than the boys, who looked at both images for an equal time.

Read more @

Tags: 

Ive never understood this fear of spiders.

Its like you're a thousand times bigger, stronger and smarter than a lil spider... so why are you afraid of it? If anything it should (and probably does) fear you!

Id say most if not all spiders we encounter in our day to day lives are pretty harmless... yet women FREAK out when they see them. This happened at the office where a small spider landed on one of my colleagues desks and she jumped up off her chair and started shouting 'omg, omg kill it, kill it!!' and then her friend sat next to her did the same 'omg, omg kill it, kill it'.. :roll:

I just strolled over picked it up on a piece of paper and droped it outside the window.... freakout over.

pfft women

Back in BLACK

My friend throws a fit if you mention (mention!) caterpillars.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Seraphim wrote:
Ive never understood this fear of spiders.

Its like you're a thousand times bigger, stronger and smarter than a lil spider... so why are you afraid of it? If anything it should (and probably does) fear you!

I have a phobia of spiders. My pulse rate increases and I freeze when I see one. I also tend to notice when I haven't seen a spider for a long time and then dream about them. The last dream I had, there were spiders of all sizes crawling all over the bedroom and I was standing in the middle of the room. Even writing this is making me feel tense. But I KNOW its irrational and silly and that I can't justify why I feel like that. And I KNOW Im a thousand times bigger. But knowing that still doesn't make a difference to how I react.

I don't like killing them either, so I usually get someone who doesn't fear them (everyone else in my family) to take it outside or away from my sight.

i can't stand spiders. i freak when i see one. and if one is on me i go crazy, jump up and down screaming. i know its a ridiculous fear but i still can't get over it.

wednesday wrote:

Wow sebefe, seriously? I didn't know spider could be that scary!

(Ron Weasley)

I know.

Yep, I love Ron in the Chamber of Secrets. And I somehow missed the Spider scene in the forest - maybe because I had my eyes closed.

Spiders are icky!!!!!!

its the fact that they hav so many legs!
*shudder*

and I dont think its a female thin
because
when I went to pakistan
noone was scared of spiders
or any icky creepy crawlies
theyre just used to them over there

last time i was in pakistan i got up in the middle of the night and went to the toilet, when i was washing ma hands a looked on the shelf thing infront of me and there was a HUGE spider staring straight at me! a screamed and ran lol.
not normally scared of them tho

"ThiS WoRlD Iz A PrIsOn 4 A BeLiVeR AnD PaRaDiSe 4 A NoN-BeLiVeR.........."

wednesday wrote:
I wonder if you could call crabs, spiders of the sea?

I think that too!

I used to be really scared of spiders but now if i see one i dont go running out the room screaming or anything. but i would if it was actually on me! lol

Today i was sitting down and a wasp came by me, all my friends got up screaming and ran a mile and i was just there sitting still and quiet lol. my friend was like move its gna sting u! i was like ur not supposed to move!

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

What seafood would you eat?

Are crabs halaal? (for hanafi's I *think* the answer is no.)

PS for hanafis prawns are allowed aren't they? Someone pointed out how they "pass" the water test as they cannot survive outside it...

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
What seafood would you eat?

Are crabs halaal? (for hanafi's I *think* the answer is no.)

PS for hanafis prawns are allowed aren't they? Someone pointed out how they "pass" the water test as they cannot survive outside it...

What are you on about. Shellfish are haraam for Jews (and Christians who actually follow their books).

Also it's haraam for them to eat camel.

What do you mean what am I on about? Let's take this to the courtyard!

Shellfish are haraam for Jews (and Christians who actually follow their books).

And for Muslims... ?

Did not know that - is it out of principle (where is does not "fit in" with the rules for allowedness), or is it a special exception?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
What do you mean what am I on about? Let's take this to the courtyard!

Shellfish are haraam for Jews (and Christians who actually follow their books).

And for Muslims... ?

Did not know that - is it out of principle (where is does not "fit in" with the rules for allowedness), or is it a special exception?

mentioned specifically, along with loads of other animals/birds (including pigs, obviously), in the same verse that outlaws homosexuality.

Which makes it a bit perverse when you see all these Bible-belt Christians holding 'God hates fags' signs, who still eat pork etc.

Also, I always thought that we can eat anything which doesn't eat other animals itself, plus anything from the sea.

Crabs would fit both categories. Plus I had a FAT seafood munch in Egypt, which included crab.

Ya'qub wrote:
Also, I always thought that we can eat anything which doesn't eat other animals itself, plus anything from the sea.

It all depends on interpretation. The hanafi interpretation of "anything from the sea" involves it not being able to live outside the water. The others afaik do not have that added factor.

Ya'qub wrote:
Crabs would fit both categories. Plus I had a FAT seafood munch in Egypt, which included crab.

But was it not like... weird... did you have to break the shell open and all that? makes me squeamish.

You wrote:

Ya'qub wrote:

But was it not like... weird... did you have to break the shell open and all that? makes me squeamish.

You have SUCH a limited palette! You need to go out and experience different kinds of food in all it's messy yumminess. What would you eat if there was no oil?!?!

NO OIL?!?

weetabix?

You wrote:
NO OIL?!?

weetabix?

I'd rather have a bowl of Coco Pops.

(tell me honestly that you didn't sing that in your head when you read it!)

Lol

chappattiis ofcourse!

but crabs dnt sound very nice, i imagine them to be dry and boring with no real taste. so u actually liked them? were they crunchy?

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Ya'qub wrote:
You wrote:
NO OIL?!?

weetabix?

I'd rather have a bowl of Coco Pops.

(tell me honestly that you didn't sing that in your head when you read it!)

I could tell you that but I hear its a bad thing to lie while fasting.

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
Lol

chappattiis ofcourse!

but crabs dnt sound very nice, i imagine them to be dry and boring with no real taste. so u actually liked them? were they crunchy?

A) you need oil to cook chapattis. Even I know that.
Dirol Not crunchy at all. The shell is hard, but inside the flesh is really soft and delicious - not dissimilar from prawns, but certainly not the same. Also the taste is a bit stronger and distinctive You should try it.

Ya'qub wrote:

you're confusing it with pitta bread/parata (maybe even naan?)

the dough for chappatis is just flour and water.

You still need oil to transport the goods.... and the "salan" will most likely need oil too, so there is a dependence.

awwww Ya'qub you do NOT need oil to cook chapattiis, maybe ur thinking of parata's i guess they're called chapattis too? but i use butter to make them too so i dont know what ur thinking of :/ :S

I think i should try prawns, but they dont look very nice either! lol

You wrote:
Ya'qub wrote:

you're confusing it with pitta bread/parata (maybe even naan?)

the dough for chappatis is just flour and water.

You still need oil to transport the goods.... and the "salan" will most likely need oil too, so there is a dependence.

Or you could have it with mint chutney instead. mmmmmmm

don't 'awww' me and then reveal that you haven't even eaten prawns!

What is wrong with Pakistanis! They never seem to eat a wide variety of food from around the world!!

On a semi-related topic, curry has just been overtaken by middle-eastern cuisine as Britain's favourite takeaway. I was surprised.

Ya'qub wrote:

I missed Ya'qub literally making me laugh out loud! Smile

eeee guess what?? my brother ate slugs when he went to france, well he said he ate them anyway and that they were nice

Ya'qub wrote:

What is wrong with Pakistanis! They never seem to eat a wide variety of food from around the world!!

On a semi-related topic, curry has just been overtaken by middle-eastern cuisine as Britain's favourite takeaway. I was surprised.

OMG!
I know right!

I was cooking mushrooms n my auntie came n said mmmm that smells nice
then she saw the mushrooms n went uughghhhh yuk mushroomsssssss

also
I cooked falafals the other day
n everyone was like ewww whats a fulfal??? ur so weird u eat khhumusssss

I swear...

Ya'qub wrote:

1R4M wrote:

OMG!
I know right!

u shouldnt generalise Blum 3

Spiders anyone?

Pages