Row over Afghan wife-starving law

An Afghan bill allowing a husband to starve his wife if she refuses to have sex has been published in the official gazette and become law.

The original bill caused outrage earlier this year, forcing Afghan President Hamid Karzai to withdraw it.

But critics say the amended version of the law remains highly repressive.

They accuse Mr Karzai of selling out Afghan women for the sake of conservative Shia support at next week's presidential election.

The law governs family life for Afghanistan's Shia minority.

Sexual demands

The original version obliged Shia women to have sex with their husbands every four days at a minimum, and it effectively condoned rape by removing the need for consent to sex within marriage.

Western leaders and Afghan women's groups were united in condemning an apparent reversal of key freedoms won by women after the fall of the Taliban.

Now an amended version of the same bill has passed quietly into law with the apparent approval of President Karzai...

Read more @

Tags: 

I love how they still feel the need to take a swing at the taliban when this is totally unrelated.

Just in case anyone is wondering, £$%^ing stupid law.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

WTH

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

may Allah guide them and open their hearts to the true teachings of islam. aameen.

Ameen.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

im not trying to play devils advocate but i can remember being told on one of the radio shows by a notable scholar that there is no such thing as rape within marriage! His argument was if women refuse to have sex with their husband then they are encouraging him to do zina!!!!!

I'm currently researching deeper in to the topic....

And then people ask me why I think scholars are clueless - study for years and then still get the basic thinking wrong.

If a spouse denies sex in a marriage, the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) did not say "It's your right, so get some action", rather something along the lines of God being displeased or angels cursing the individual (can't remember which).

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

TheRevivalEditor wrote:
im not trying to play devils advocate but i can remember being told on one of the radio shows by a notable scholar that there is no such thing as rape within marriage! His argument was if women refuse to have sex with their husband then they are encouraging him to do zina!!!!!

As far as I've learned it is haraam for a wife to withhold sex from her husband, but that doesn't give him any 'right' or 'get out of jail free card' to force himself on (into) her.

It still is a major sin for him to do that (and still a major sin if he were to commit zina). His halal options are divorce or taking a second wife. Bigamy is illegal in Britain.

It also ignores the question of why a wife might feel so terrible that she would want to refuse sex to a man who she chose with the intention of a full, lasting marriage.

Best advice to anyone might be to choose a husband OR wife very carefully.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

You wrote:
If a spouse denies sex in a marriage, the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) did not say "It's your right, so get some action", rather something along the lines of God being displeased or angels cursing the individual (can't remember which).

both.

Why are we even discussing this?

What? what? why? why?

Here are the facts:
1. Komshaqing should be done with mutual consent. Anything else is rape. I dont care who says otherwise.
2. Bigamy maybe illegal in Britain but apparently its perfectly legal to have multiple girlfriends or a bit on the side.
3. Idiots and fools will put the top two facts together.

Back in BLACK

TheRevivalEditor wrote:

That's too simplistic
people don't have affairs solely based on being denied sex
other factors are involved
people will have affairs no matter what really

regarding no rape in marriage
hmmmmm
well
I can see why he'd think that
because there's prob nowhere in the Qur'an or hadith that says explicitly "do not rape thy wife"

but on the other hand, it makes sense that a husband shouldn't rape his wife
because a-its just wrong
and b- didn't the prophet pbuh say that a husband should "send a message/signal" to his wife before the act?
Im not sure on the exact wording
plus its late and im kinda still jetlagged
and husbands are told to treat their wives kindly

ps
why am I not surprised that the Afghans came up with this...

1R4M wrote:
people don't have affairs solely based on being denied sex

Says you. (I had originally put "woman" there, but I am sure many of women get it too.)

Yes, that is also too simplistic, but at the absolute basic, the cold hard truth is that it is a question of supply and demand.

Ofcourse, that does in no way make using force acceptable, but the person can take other avenues as mentioned by ya'qub.

There are even some marriage counsellors who have said that a good way to keep a marriage together is to not deny the other partner their sexual urges and are surprised when spouses find that this or the lack of action makes a difference. (written in gender neutral terms as its not all one sided.)

"Forever" is not a term that always applies to Islamic marriage as divorce is allowed. Besides, there is also this hadith quoted in :

Narrated Al-Awza:

I asked Az-Zuhri, "Which of the wives of the Prophet sought refuge with Allah from him?" He said "I was told by 'Ursa that 'Aisha said, 'When the daughter of Al-Jaun was brought to Allah's Apostle (as his bride) and he went near her, she said, "I seek refuge with Allah from you." He said, "You have sought refuge with The Great; return to your family."