Differentiating between what is easy and what is right.

A bit of a moral dilemma: I think I always take the easy way out. If the going gets tough, so I simply quit?

Thing is most (but not all) of the times I also think I did the right thing - so the question beckons - how do you d
ifferentiate between what is easy and what is right?

How do you know you are righteous? How do you define easy? How do you define hard?

(last one is always a good question - for things that I have done that people consider hard, at the time I (probably) thought it easy.)

Also - how would you define yourself? what story would you give?

I have a fear/hunch/notion that my story would be defined by one word: "quitter".

You wrote:
How do you know you are righteous?

you don't.

Lol catchy title Wink

Aaaaaaaaand, it's easy to tell the difference between what's easy and what's right in a situation Blum 3 They don't necessarily have to be different things anyway. Can't actions be easy AND right at the same time?

And surely, in terms of Islam Doing right is what makes the afterlife easier? so you're sort of indirectly doing what's easy by doing what's right, no?

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

Islam is EASY
but we make it difficult by following our own desires.....

allah is closer to us than our jugular vein

I think you cant really define easy and hard very well; just how physically and emotionally challenging something is for you. Yes, You is the important word Smile cuz what u find easy i may find hard and vice versa. Everyone is different and where their strengths and weaknesses lie will affect this. So you may well do something which is both right and easy for you. double bonus eh?! Smile

and yes Islam is an easy way of life but i was talking more about when someone is in a situation where there are multiple options and maybe other people to consider too.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

harun wrote:
Islam is EASY
but we make it difficult by following our own desires.....

Here's the thing - God did not create you a robot. He made you a person, with feelings, strengths and shortcomings.

So some things will be relatively easier than others.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

MakeMeRawr_6TeenF wrote:
Lol catchy title Wink

Thanks Smile

MakeMeRawr_6TeenF wrote:
Aaaaaaaaand, it's easy to tell the difference between what's easy and what's right in a situation Blum 3 They don't necessarily have to be different things anyway. Can't actions be easy AND right at the same time?

Yes they can, but it will not always be like that.

MakeMeRawr_6TeenF wrote:
And surely, in terms of Islam Doing right is what makes the afterlife easier? so you're sort of indirectly doing what's easy by doing what's right, no?

What if it is not 100% a religious matter? Like employment - it has a religious aspect, but also a life aspect. Or even coursework or something else - junk food Vs healthy food.

Many times you can differentiate your motivations etc, but is that always the case?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
I think you cant really define easy and hard very well; just how physically and emotionally challenging something is for you.

Yup, agreed. even huge tasks can be broken into little steps, mountains broken into small stones and moved.

Easy Vs Difficult is a lot of the time an emotional decision (subjective), but sometimes it is based on objective assessment of the outcomes and what you can influence and what you can't.

You wrote:
but sometimes it is based on objective assessment of the outcomes and what you can influence and what you can't.

erm :S what does that mean?

EDIT: i think i get it, or maybe i really dont - basially thinking of the possible outcomes and then thinking of what u can do...or sumthing? Fool

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Isn't there a hadith that says when the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was faced with a choice, he always took the easier (halal/fard) option?

Don't just do something! Stand there.

You will know the difference. When you're mind is at peace, when you're passive.

IMO the easier path is usually the selfish path. Where your only after self-preservation. It might not necessarily be the wrong path. Whereas doing the right thing can means having the guts to face hardship. But you do it anyway, coz its the right thing to do (or some other such bullsh*t).

Back in BLACK

I don't think it is a fight between selfishness and unselfishness - especially if being selfish will afterwards potentially have the effect of eating away at your mind annoying you, questioning you.

You wrote:
I don't think it is a fight between selfishness and unselfishness - especially if being selfish will afterwards potentially have the effect of eating away at your mind annoying you, questioning you.

Selfish run away, self-preservation = Easy

Unselfish stay and fight for the right cause = Hard

see the difference

Back in BLACK

Selfish = fight for something while stepping on others toes - don't give a damn who gets in your way.

Unselfish = walk away sparing others pain and disharmony.

see the difference

Ya'qub wrote:
Isn't there a hadith that says when the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was faced with a choice, he always took the easier (halal/fard) option?

But that's talking about what's easy and halal, vs what's unnecessarily difficult.
I think it comes down to the individual scenario, before we decide between what's easy/hard or right/wrong.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

You wrote:
I have a fear/hunch/notion that my story would be defined by one word: "quitter".

May be the more useful option is for you to increase your fear of that happening. Might be fun?

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes