Why God....?

Just rambling through my thoughts really and it occured to me that religion has come to mean a lot of things to a lot of people. The diversity and understanding of these systems of belief is quite huge in some cases. although most times the end product is pretty much the same, Nirvana, heaven, paradise and so on.

Why do some people seem to need a God more than others?

Is our "search" for / service to, God inherited or driven, in terms of our level of need to believe, through / by "traditional" family values and beliefs?

Is it an inherited or taught fear of not believing that drives our search for God or belief in him?

If we didn't have a belief system would we still need one?

Which leads really to me asking,........Why God?

Salam

Science has discovered that there is a so called " GOD SPOT" in the brain of all human beings.

They don't know why it exists, or how it got there, but they do
acknowledge that all human beings have inherent need for some sort of "Spiritual Food".

Do I need to say more ?

Omrow

"DTC" wrote:
Is our "search" for / service to, God inherited or driven, in terms of our level of need to believe, through / by "traditional" family values and beliefs?

IMO most people inherit religion from there parents.

There are waaaaaaaaay too many religions, sects and cults out there.

I would only ever follow a religion that believes in ONE GOD.

I thought about chritianity and judaisum too.

i find religions interesting.

But the thing about religions is that there is never any "proof". The koran is a mathamatically composed and a scientifically proven scripture, how do i not know that that is just a coincedence or muhammad was a pure genious.

there is this lass i know back home and the veins in her hand resemble the arabic word "Allah" (which means the 'one god' [note that saudi jews and chritians call god "allah" too, often ppl confuse it for the name of the "muslim god"] which ofcourse is not true)

"DTC" wrote:
Is it an inherited or taught fear of not believing that drives our search for God or belief in him?

i reckon its a bit of both. there was this time i stopped believing in god and i just felt lost. then i went through this phase when i read LOADS of hadith which gave descripstion on hell and it just scared the hell out of me.

"DTC" wrote:

If we didn't have a belief system would we still need one?

ppl wud just join wierd cults like kabbalah which are only after ur money.

What you put in the hearts of others; is what goes back into your own heart…

Masha'Allah, well said jihaad soldier Smile

' Nay, verily! With me is my Lord, He will guide me ' {2662}

Hi,

This really is part of the problem for me. Belief systems always seem to rely on "holding on" to what they say is right and they all do it. If you don't believe what we say you must be wrong and will almost certainly be punished. Judda makes the point he started to doubt his belief until he read about hell. He was then too scared not to believe.

Then Jihad Soldier says things like "...u idiot!" "U only half believe. If you are muslim u have 2 believe fully, not just 50%...." Why shouldn't he question? How can he possibly know he has the truth if he doesn't know whos lying or "wrong?"

I agree with him in part, we are taught to be fearful of gods punishment and told that we have to love him, because...because...because..?

And not all christians believe in the trinity as three gods, but as being three manifestations of the one god, which is not the same as you suggest, which actually excludes the "physical" Jesus.

Which again proves that you should not listen to and believe everything that you are told, so maybe Judda does have a point.

Believing in god is logical IMO. How can you NOT believe in a creator. I guess the agnostics will disagree here, but their loss.

Next the question is wether you believe in the qur'an to be the word of god, and the prophet(saw) to be the messenger of god.

If you cannot find a flaw in the qur'an, and it is still accurate now, over 1400 years after revelation, how can it be a manmade work?

Secondly the Prophet was known in his society for being trustworthy and honest. That is the person the Qur'an was revealed to.

If you believe in the above, you must believe in what he qur'an teaches, and what the prophet taught. There is your belief system.

Its normally a christian thing (or secular christians) that you do not hold onto religion, but onto an idea, but the idea has over time been twisted into religion.

For muslims, there is no such conflict, as the qur'an states that the deen (way of life) god has chosen for us is Islam. No ambiguity there. We have been told through the qur'an by Allah (swt).

PS you cannot believe through fear. You can curtail your actions through fear, but not change your beliefs. they are what what your cognitive abilities bring you to. You can deny them, or not, but ear cannot change them.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Hi,

I wasn't in any way questionong the authenticity of islam or christianity. What I am saying is that some people such as Judda may question and in my opinion rightly so there "traditional" family way of worship. If he questions and finds the answers then fine, if he questions and finds conflict or error then he should act on that.

I believe that in the majority of people that i have spoken to, the beliefs of there parents and the way that those beliefs are passed on to the children are so prevailant and rigid that to even question them would be virtually impossible. That is the kind of fear that i am talking about, fear of being different not following the traditional pattern of understanding, service and belief. You can be taught with fear as the key to understanding if you are taught by someone that was taught in a similar way. To have an accurate honest belief you must surely have had an accurate and honest teacher who must have had an accurate and honest teacher....... and so on and so on. Not all people are privy to that luxury.

Salam

"DTC" wrote:
I wasn't in any way questionong the authenticity of islam or christianity.

I don't think you have the authority to question.

So it wouldn't matter even if you did try to question it.

Omrow

DTC i know where u are coming from. faith is such a fragile thing our mind wonders and our heart hardens without us knowing until suddenly one morning we wake up and say where is God? and what God?

the apparent loss of faith can be a momentary thing or a life long struggle and i feel affects most of us.

to keep your faith strong and intact Allah has given us the salah and the ability to recite the Koran

when we think we have lost faith we are normally petrified of what of Allah of course and this just shows us that are lapse was just a wake up call.

we never really lost Allah in our hearts we just thought we had but the FEAR of losing faith is proof that we never lost it in the first place

you heard the saying
'allah is closer to you than your own
jugular vein'
also
'who ever takes one step towards allah
allah takes ten steps towards them'

these are very true

Hi,

Thanks for the insight Omrow.

That is exactly why I wasn't questioning their authenticity, because I don't have the knowledge or authority.

I was highlighting the authority / right / need in some peoples minds to question what they are taught.

Thanks anyway.

"DTC" wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the insight Omrow.

That is exactly why I wasn't questioning their authenticity, because I don't have the knowledge or authority.

I was highlighting the authority / right / need in some peoples minds to question what they are taught.

Thanks anyway.

right we all have the need to ask questions about our faith and we do some do it all their lives others come to an understanding and peace sooner. questions are not bad if they are for the self but to merely question for the sake of fitna well that is naughty isnt it Judda?

can you please say where you are going with this because i am losing my thread and maybe my marbles here

Salam

"DTC" wrote:

Well, EVERYBODY should question EVERYTHING that they are EVER taught.

However, the sad fact remains that most people lack the capability to carry out this activity.

Omrow

"Omrow" wrote:
Salam

"DTC" wrote:

However, the sad fact remains that most people lack the capability to carry out this activity.

Omrow

yep too true

Salam

"seema*" wrote:
too true

That was funny seemo. I'll remember that. Thanks.

God bless you, and give you 8 children.

Omrow

"Omrow" wrote:

Omrow

Aslamali'kum All,

Can anyone shed some light on my question (or shud i say questions)?...
Bearing in mind what has been stated above by Omrow...
When one is questioned by a non-muslim i.e. kahfir about thier belief of one god how should one reply to this without seeming to be arrogant? :?:

For example, if a non-muslim asked...
Why do you believe in something that you have never seen..i.e. no-one has ever seen allah (swt) :?: Now this question is kind of understandable if you percieve it from a non-muslims view :!:

In addition, If a non-muslim were to ask how our religion is based on the teachings of our beloved prophet (pbuh) when they were alive some 1400 years ago and everyone and nearly everything at that time is non-existant at this time :?:

Lastly If a non-muslim questioned our respect for the holy book i.e Quran and asked how we know for sure that the words written are the words of allah (swt) and how we know for sure the things written in the hadiths are worthy enough how can we respond?....

What im trying to say is that to a non-muslim the above may seem humourous that we can follow a being whom we state is our sole creator and follow the Islamic shariah because it is our way of life yet in reality we have never seen our creator or seen our beloved prophet :?:

I hope iv not offended anyone inshallah, if i have or I have stated something which is out of context then please forgive. Alls Im trying to seek is a little guidance or advice from youth (u guys) on how to tackle non-muslims questioning of Islam (especially the above beliefs) without seeming arrogant and without slandering thier religion?...

In order to understand they (non-muslims have to question our religion)!
At this point it is our duty to inform them how and why we believe the above, not only to show then that Islam is the correct and complete way of life but to also rid non-muslims of many prejudices they may hold because of thier ignorance inshallah!

Once again my sincere apologies if iv caused any offence..
Please advise if you can inshallah...

Many Thanks
Jazakallah
Asalamali'kum

I received nothing I wanted
I received everything I needed.
My Prayer has been answered.

Salam

I get asked these type of questions all the time. Atheists, Hindus, Christians, Jews, Buddhists, and so on, all pose interesting questions.

It is always good to give replies using the concepts that they are used to.

It is no use quoting the Quran or Hadith.

Best thing is to relax and reason with the non muslims using everyday commonsense criteria.

"MuSlImAh786" wrote:
Can anyone shed some light on my question (or shud i say questions)?...

if a non-muslim asked...

Why do you believe in something that you have never seen..i.e. no-one has ever seen allah

Even scientists believe in things that they cannot be seen at all.

Seeing is not the only standard for believing that something exists.

"MuSlImAh786" wrote:
how our religion is based on the teachings of our beloved prophet (pbuh) when they were alive some 1400 years ago and everyone and nearly everything at that time is non-existant at this time

Present system of democracy is based on a 3000 year old Greek ideas.

"MuSlImAh786" wrote:
how we know for sure that the words written are the words of allah?

We can be sure in the same way as the CIA is sure that a mysterious letter written by Bin Laden is indeed his.

We use our intelligence.

By the way, good questions sister.

They shows you are using your head for something other then shopping.

Omrow

I personally believe belief in ALLAH is illogical, thats why it is called faith. If it was all about logic then every logical person would believe.

Having said that, it is in mans nature to worship, thats y it is noted that those who profess no religion worship even humans although they dont label it as worship. It is in mans essential nature to worship something, in medieval christian tradition people of other faiths were thought of as heathens but were considered possibly gaining true knowledge about god but the atheist was deemed a complete lost cause because he denied his very nature as a man to worship.

Just an interesting point.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

I disagree.

Allah created because he wanted to be known. We were created to worship him.

So Allah would not make it harder for us to believe, by making it an illogical belief.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

lol, i see we aint gonna agree. Yes but the whole point about IMAAN is that we aint seen these things, heaven hell, ALLAH angels, other Prophets etc

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

yes Med but we have been told about them by Allah - is Allah's word not good enough for you?

"seema*" wrote:
yes Med but we have been told about them by Allah - is Allah's word not good enough for you?

seema are u being deliberately silly? this is all abt imaan. we havent seen ALLAH but we believe in the truthfulness of Holy Prophet salallahu alayhi wa sallam so we believe in ALLAH. What kind of question is that you asked, its not very nice.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

yes i was being silly - i know what u mean of course faith/imaan is about the belief in the unseen that is the meaning of belief

Salam

"Med" wrote:
I personally believe belief in ALLAH is illogical...

This shows that the gentleman has some serious doubts about God.

Omrow

"seema*" wrote:

Aslamalikum All,

Jazakallah for your thoughts and Omrow your answers have alot of truth in them. I had no intention of creating a debate on "Allah's word" I was just unclear as to how one should proceed with non-muslims ignorant comments. Alas Allah's word cannot be changed but it should be questioned i.e without questioning something how are we supposed to understand the fully undertand and thus help others understand?..

I received nothing I wanted
I received everything I needed.
My Prayer has been answered.

Salam

Thats right.

Only by making an enquiry can one find out the Truth.

Truth does not come to you.

Truth is a Treasure. You have go and dig it out.

Omrow