Forced marriage plea to schools

Forced marriage plea to schools

New guidelines are being published urging schools to identify signs of forced marriages ahead of the holidays.

The guidance comes as an official report raises questions about how schools and some councils have responded to calls for help.

The report calls on schools to play a greater preventative role, saying some are clearly reluctant to get involved.

The government's Forced Marriage Unit (FMU) says it has received 770 calls for help this year - up 16% on 2008.

The unit, run jointly by the Home Office and Foreign Office, received 1,600 reports last year - and intervened in 420 actual cases.

The courts have also made 36 forced marriage prevention orders, a recently created power designed to prevent people being taken abroad against their will.

Overall, there are estimated to be at least 5,000 cases, but it is impossible to know for certain.

Read more @

If your child doesn't wanna marry someone then don't force them
I just dont see the point
its making two people miserable
and then their families will suffer

Some people dont see it like that.

Things like family honour and money/land etc play a huge part too. And then theres the extended family putting pressure the kids parents too. Especially to those who are over here, in the UK. They think by marrying a british resident they will automatically be rolling in it. :roll:

Clouded their minds have become. Pride and Greed are their ways.

Back in BLACK

UK law I think is min age of 16 if there is parental consent, 18 if not.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

yes.

wednesday wrote:
You sure?

Why you so eager to find out? I thought you were already over 19?

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Such people desperate to marry their kids off should be refered to Ed marriage database Lol

Back in BLACK

It's 16 WITH ur parent's permission in the UK
and 18 without

21 sounds like an american number to me.

Not the number itself, but for limiting some things to such an age.

You wrote:
21 sounds like an american number to me.

Not the number itself, but for limiting some things to such an age.

You can get married in some state in America at 14.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

so its to do with the fella you're interested in then?

Nowt wrong with 21 - but I am sure I have read there being places where booze etv are illegal til that age - but as Ya'qub pointed out it may not be the same all across america. There be statewide variances.