Recycling madness.

ok, there should be limits to madness and I think Oldham Council has gone well beyond its.

Once upon a time a long long time ago, there was a single grey bin for all rubbish. Nice and simple for the residents, but it did not encourage much recycling, so the council/government thought it would be a good idea to encourage recycling.

In the first phase there were these medium sized containers given for plastics and glass. THey were however easy to lose and in many cases the wind blew them away, but people still sued them.

Then there came the sacks to recycle paper. Originally that also came with a manual about what types of paper to put in and what type not to, but after a while they decided that that just confused people, so announced that due to upgrades in technology, the people no longer have to separate different types of papers. Still, a plastic sack is easy to lose.

Now they have also added a big brown bin the size of the grey bin for recyclables, probably as an alternative to the original container, but they never clarified, so maybe they need different refuse?

On top of that there was a green bin dropped off today for food waste (I assume they do not expect people to use it as a toilet...), inside which is another smaller green bin for... uhm... probably the same thing. Inside that is a pack of what I presume is either bin liners, or another sack to colect paper waste or something else.

How long til rocket science is easier than deciding what bin to put the rubbish in?

grey bin? brown bin? don't you mean blue bin?

green bin could be for compost...

No blue bin yet.

Just got a grey one, a brown one, a container, a bag and two green bins - which I think both are for food waste.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

THAT's your biggest problem?

:roll:

(i thought you meant recycling actual madness and i had an idea in my head of some BBC article that sounded really interesting but in actuality was very boring about children who watched their mum act mad and copied her)

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

Hey, I am a simple person of simple means.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
Hey, I am a simple person .

I Agree ^_^

xD

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

In luton u have ur normal black bin , then a bigger brown bin for grass etc, and a small green bin for recycables, and also a little blue plastic box type bin for glass hmmm wonder where most of those went lol

Ha ha,
ours is still simple:

Green box= Paper and glass and milk cartons
Big Black wheelie bin = All the rest

and if u put the wrong things in the box, they sort it out and leave those behind.

btw, good pic weds, it suits you! Smile

'Allah gives and forgives
Man gets and forgets' Baba Ali

Hmmmm...

Good news everyone!

I HONESTLY can't think of a more boring topic than this.

Well done.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

they was allll over my street today giving the new brown bins out. like a hundred of em all with thier tops off! i thought my street being invaded!

"ThiS WoRlD Iz A PrIsOn 4 A BeLiVeR AnD PaRaDiSe 4 A NoN-BeLiVeR.........."

And today we got a replacement sack for paper and cardboard to go along with what was dished out before.

I would assume providing each and every house this full assortment of bins etc has a cost associated with it?

oh my gosh, why isn't there a national thing, the system of colour coded bins should be the same all over the uk but its not?

Here in my neck of the woods we have a green wheelie bin for regular household rubbish. A brown wheelie for garden waste, but since my street is tiny, i can only get one if i request it? Paper recyling black plastic container, no glossies allowed, cardboard permitted. Glass recycling plastic blue container. Again none of these containers aren't given to me, i have to request them. Whereas on the last street i lived on it was given without request to every household. So what is the council saying. In street A recylcling will be enforced street b it is optional, coz that's the message i'm getting.

If the government is serious it should make recycling obligatory no options, bring in some sort of system so ppl are forced to recycle or face consequences. Some areas in london for example have quotas on rubbish for each household, chip and pin system reads how much waste collected from each house. Those who go over limit must pay for extra rubbish to be removed, especially if it can be seen that they're not bothering with recycling at all.

When i was in scotland they had these huge wheelies at the end of every street corner. Maybe coz a lot of places are old apartments, or 4 storey houses. These huge bins are for regular rubbish. But there is also a triple bin system for recycling on every corner. Now i know this is for apartments but this would make sense in the tiny streets we have in england. in the west midlands where i am and i;m sure up north particularly in more deprived areas houses are like boxes all crammed together, the pavements are so small putting out just one wheelie bin blocks the pavement. Some folks have a poor alleyway or no alley so they leave bin permanently on footpath. This is disgusting specially in the summer, and try moving a pushchair around one of those. Makes more sense to have large collection bins like those in Scotland and more regular rubbish collections. Saves space and seems to work more effectively. Well edinburgh was darn clean compared to England, and don't tell me they haven't got enough money that's rubbish! We extortionate taxes and i see very little in return. Is it too much to ask for clean streets, seems like it is in the inner city. I guess mps are too busy spending our money on toilet brushes for their second homes, essential expenditure.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

Hajjar wrote:
If the government is serious it should make recycling obligatory no options, bring in some sort of system so ppl are forced to recycle or face consequences. Some areas in london for example have quotas on rubbish for each household, chip and pin system reads how much waste collected from each house.

Disagree with that totally. People pay taxes so that the government takes care of these things.

Also, you did allude to space concerns and that is a big thing. all this takes space.

As for quotas, if they are proposed, people will just fly tip more - leave rubbish in inaccessible areas, on streets, backs alleys etc. Much bigger mess to clean up then.

they already fly tip i don't see my council or councils in many other towns around me addressing these issues. Its like it's the asian area who gives a tuppence.

tough policies need to come into force i think gov is too soft on rubbish crime. what's the point in a minority recycling, and the rest of the population not, it is counterproductive and insane. Either do it properly or abort the idea. Dog fouling for example unacceptable if you keep a dog scoop up the mess or be fined wherever you are in the uk, not just in designated areas. The same policy should apply to recycling do it collectively or don't there's no two ways about it.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

Last year with constant hounding, it took the council about 6 months to get the main drain behind out house cleared and the whole streets sewerage moving. I still had to pay for some unblocking and clearing to be done.

As for the mess that it caused by overflow, some of the back alley still needs cleaning. If the council cannot get its act together, it cannot demand better from its residents.

You wrote:
No blue bin yet.

Just got a grey one, a brown one, a container, a bag and two green bins - which I think both are for food waste.

a lot of bins there. we only have two.

You will probably have some more soon.

A question: fast food containers that you get from takeaway - do they go into the glass bottles/plastic bottles/tins/cans bin or general refuse?