Bitterness as mental illness?

Bitter behavior is so common and deeply destructive that some psychiatrists are urging it be identified as a mental illness under the name post-traumatic embitterment disorder.

You know them. I know them. And, increasingly, psychiatrists know them. People who feel they have been wronged by someone and are so bitter they can barely function other than to ruminate about their circumstances.

This behavior is so common -- and so deeply destructive -- that some psychiatrists are urging it be identified as a mental illness under the name post-traumatic embitterment disorder. The behavior was discussed before an enthusiastic audience last week at a meeting of the American Psychiatric Assn. in San Francisco.

Embittered people are typically good people who have worked hard at something important, such as a job, relationship or activity, Linden says. When something unexpectedly awful happens -- they don't get the promotion, their spouse files for divorce or they fail to make the Olympic team -- a profound sense of injustice overtakes them. Instead of dealing with the loss with the help of family and friends, they cannot let go of the feeling of being victimized. Almost immediately after the traumatic event, they become angry, pessimistic, aggressive, hopeless haters.

Read more @ the

So what do you think? Mental illness or mental copout?

i don't think its a mental illness. far from it. more to do with personal characteristics.

Isn't bitterness a natural instinct emotion?

Is there a scale for the level of bitterness that they rate?

I feel like I'm talking about Granny Smith apples.

Unable to control your anger for a short moment is one thing, but
constantly remaining in a state of anger shows there is something wrong with you.

Get yourself checked out.

You might have a screw loose.

Its not healthy to moan all the time. You need to chill.

We have a 3 days free open crying period followed by 40 days of extended grieving allowance.

That's it. No more. Get a grip of yourself.