Godparents

If a friend asked you to be a Godmother or Godfather for their child, what would your answer be?

I mean, as Muslims is this custom allowed? Or is it strictly a Christian custom?

What does it entail apart from saying "uhm, ok I guess..."?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

its a christian thing.

1. you have to make an oath that you will do your best to raise that child as a good christian.
2. you must be a christian or the church doesn't accept you (as a godparent).

You wrote:
What does it entail apart from saying "uhm, ok I guess..."?

What do you mean? So you would say yes?

Noor wrote:
its a christian thing.

1. you have to make an oath that you will do your best to raise that child as a good christian.
2. you must be a christian or the church doesn't accept (as a godparent).

Oh really, I didn't know about either points.

But nowadays...to be a 'Godparent' is just a name on the role? I don't know anyone who does the role as to bring up the child as a good christian....

I thought it literally just meant to look after the child when the parents die or something...so if the church ceremony wasn't involved..we can yes?

Probably not - but if someone asked you to be a god parent, would it now be your duty to try your hardest to convert that child to Islam?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
Probably not - but if someone asked you to be a god parent, would it now be your duty to try your hardest to convert that child to Islam?

No. Firstly, I think it would be better to live by the parents' obligations. But on the other hand you can teach the child about Islam - e.g show them how you adapt your life around Islam . If the parents were religious in the first place they wouldn't ask a Muslim to be their child's godparent- I don't think.

but would you not then be doing the child a favour by providing a religious background?

I don't really have a clue about godparents and all that stuff really. Seems pointless.

Not pointless in my opinion. But is there not anything at all similar in Islam?

You wrote:
but would you not then be doing the child a favour by providing a religious background?

It might be confusing for the child if he/she has to grow up in a Christian and a Muslim background...

s.b.f wrote:
Not pointless in my opinion. But is there not anything at all similar in Islam?

There only seems to be a point if the family is not an extended one? In extended family situations, there is normally plenty of other family out there to act as safety nets.

Still not pointless.

Mohammed Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was raised by Halima. What was she to him?

foster mother. Not the same as a godparent - godparents are probably mostly symbolic in nature and the title means very little.

Or I might be wrong.

According to :

A godparent, in many denominations of Christianity, is someone who sponsors a child's baptism...

In that case, unislamic. Reading that article, it has no significance in law, and seems to totally be a christian thing.

Okay. Lets see the idea of a godparent as just a name/a word for the role.

Plus, I wasn't comparing Halima's role to a Godparent at all. What influence did she have on the Prophet (saw)'s life? Was there any point in the Prophet (saw)'s adult life..which went back to the time when Halima looked after him?

What does the word 'Godparent' mean? Where does the word come from?

I dont think a Muslim could be a Godparent cuz the Godparent is there to make promises on behalf of the baby.

the three promises being:

1. To turn to Jesus (pbuh)
  2. To repent sin
  3. To renounce evil

I guess theres nothing wrong with the second two promises, even though the repenting for evil is talking about original sin which Muslims dont believe in. But you're hardly gna promise to turn to Jesus (pbuh)and also u have to vow that u beleive in the Holy Trinity too.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Can you not be Guardian of sorts? Like a mentor or such.

But you don't need a title for that.

@ Sully - If you have been asked to be a godparent (I am asuming that is the reason you are asking about it, but it may be general curiosity), let the people know what it means from a Christian religious perspective - even though as you mentioned most people are probably usiong the title due to culture rather than faith. And then say that you are willing to be someone who looks out for the kid.

my sister asked me to be a godparent but when the vicar found out he said to my sister that it was not possible because im muslim. i think its better that my nephew has godparents that are close to him regardless of religion than have godparents that he does not know

God parents - to me atleast - seem kind of pointless. If you are close to the family, being named godparents probably in no way changes you're interaction with the kids.

Christenings and Godparents are all just traditions now
many people who get their child christened n ask for godparents arent exacly christians themselves really