£60,000 awarded to terror suspect

The Metropolitan Police have agreed to pay £60,000 damages to a man arrested during an anti-terror raid.

The High Court heard that Babar Ahmad was subjected to "serious gratuitous prolonged unjustified violence" and "religious abuse" after his arrest.

Mr Ahmad, a 34-year-old IT support analyst, was never charged following the dawn raid at his home in Tooting, south west London, in December 2003.

He is now in jail awaiting extradition to the US on separate charges.

Humiliate and debase

Mr Justice Holroyde heard that one of the unnamed officers allegedly involved will face criminal proceedings.

Phillippa Kaufmann, counsel for Mr Ahmad, told the High Court that he had been dragged by handcuffs and held by the neck.

It was also claimed that he was forced into a kneeling Muslim prayer position and asked: "Where is your God now?"

Read more @

Assalamu alaikum

This is the same babar ahmad whose case was highlighted a few years ago. Funny how it's
like a sideline story or was it a major headline on BBC news on TV?

Funny how the police denied all these charges at the time, i don't believe he had anything to do with funding terrorism. If authorities lied about this they're capable about lying about him funding terrorism. They arrested him, discharged him, then a year later they rearrest because USA wants to extradite him. So many yrs have passed by how long does it take to extradite? Why extradite why can't a UK citizen be tried in a UK court? If the Americans want to bring their case they should come forth to the UK, instead having a closed door court with the army in control?

I don't see how money is going to help this man sleep at night, he's still in a prison cell away from his children and wife. I suppose it will help his wife and kids.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

yep, same babar ahmed. (and it was a side story, not main)

The thing is, this is just over his treatment - he is STILL being held for extradition to the US. Crazy.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I just find this soooo disgraceful. And it just makes me so angry. I cannot believe the police behave in such a way, and how little interest this story has received. It really is so sad and frustrating.

Only one police officer facing criminal charges doesn't sound enough at all. I cannot believe how much the Met police get away with. I just find it all disgusting.

Police officers in abuse case accused of 60 other assaults

Police officers involved in a "serious, gratuitous and prolonged" attack on a British Muslim man that led the Metropolitan police to pay £60,000 in damages this week have been accused of dozens of previous assaults against black or Asian men.

Babar Ahmad, 34, a terrorist suspect, was punched, kicked, stamped on and strangled during his arrest by officers from one of the Met's territorial support groups at his London home in December 2003.

After six years of denials from Scotland Yard, lawyers acting for the Metropolitan police commissioner, Sir Paul Stephenson, were forced to admit in the high court that Ahmad had been the victim of sustained and gratuitous violence during his arrest and agreed to pay £60,000 in damages...

Read more @

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

As far as I know, evidence obtained by torture can't be admitted into court. So really he should be allowed to walk home.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

For the case, its to do with fundraising for events in the US.

The US has an extradition treaty with the UK where any suspect that the US wants can be more or less handed over without due process (while the reverse required the UK to present its evidence).

The beatings were afaik nothing to do with torture/getting evidence, but just beatings.