Universities push for higher fees

Many universities in England and Wales want a sharp increase in tuition fees, a survey by BBC News has concluded.

Two thirds of vice chancellors, speaking anonymously, said they needed to raise fees, suggesting levels of between £4,000 and £20,000 per year.

More than half of university heads want students to pay at least £5,000 per year or for there to be no upper limit.

The National Union of Students has warned of debts of £32,000 for students if fees rise to £7,000 per year.

The controversy over tuition fees is set to be re-opened, five years after it sparked one of the biggest backbench rebellions faced by the Labour government.

Higher debt

University fees must be reviewed this year by the government - and there are already arguments about whether the present £3,500 cap on fees should be lifted.

read more @

Why don't we have a graduate tax? Eh?Well paid graduates should give a small proportion of their income ayear towards these fees.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

I totally abhorr that idea.

The "well paid graduates" will be taxed twice. Once for getting well paid jobs, and once again for working hard to get the well paid jobs. There should be an equal tax on the people.

(and I am saying this as a graduate who will never have a well paid enough job to meet such criteria even if such schemes are retroactively introduced)

The double tax seems to be not very well thought and and plain wrong to me.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

It's so bloody ridiculous
to have an education u need to practically pay in blood and sweat
just to learn!
I wonder where all our fees r going

1R4M wrote:
It's so bloody ridiculous
to have an education u need to practically pay in blood and sweat
just to learn!
I wonder where all our fees r going

Teachers, books, equipment, facilities, etc :roll:

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Books and equipment are paid for by the students separately...

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
Books and equipment are paid for by the students separately...

The books and equipment the students use are paid by the students seperately, yes.

How about the books and equipment used by the university staff?

They should already know the stuff!

I understand that there are costs - I just dislike the current system and the proposals for the future.

On the other hand if it changes the culture so that most people work for a year or two before going to uni, that could potentially be good.

You wrote:

The "well paid graduates" will be taxed twice. Once for getting well paid jobs, and once again for working hard to get the well paid jobs. There should be an equal tax on the people.

(and I am saying this as a graduate who will never have a well paid enough job to meet such criteria even if such schemes are retroactively introduced)

Tax should be paid according to your income, so if someone earns £19,000 a year then surely someone whp earns £90, 000 should pay way more tax?

I don't think they will be taxed twice, once they're earning above a certain amount then they will be able to pay just a little bit of their money for the new undergraduates.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

But why should poor people be discouraged from going to uni when they have the academic potential, why knock their chances by putting them in a £30 grand debt, which still involves some interest.

i think only students from really poor backgrounds should be offered assistance, and i don't refer to ppl living on benefits as poor, because I have seen many ppl living on benefits to a higher standard than those working their fingers to the bone without any state help.

There should be a mandatory gap year where students work full time and earn the money to go UNI. I don't see why the government should pay for everything. The education will ultimately help the graduate have a better life, with luxuries. So why should the regular joes of society have to foot the bill? If a individual really wants to go Uni for a high paid job they should work for it, darn hard.

About fees going up I think universities are just like businesses these days, i don't think they care about students as they used to. They appear to be like money making organizations. Sure you will get teachers who genuinely love teaching and care about their students. But i'm sure many are there because it pays well, and it's just another job for them nothing more. Maybe fees have gone up due to recession?

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

So surely telling poor people to work full time and then come and see us is harsh on them and will discourage them, and with the recession uni is a better place to be than work?

The Lamp wrote:
You wrote:

Tax should be paid according to your income, so if someone earns £19,000 a year then surely someone whp earns £90, 000 should pay way more tax?

erm, do you disagree with me or agree? I cannot tell.

The person earning £90,000 will be paying more tax as a percentage (40% I think it is for such high earnings) as well as a total. However if there are two people earning £90,000, should the one who went to uni be paying more tax?

The Lamp wrote:
I don't think they will be taxed twice, once they're earning above a certain amount then they will be able to pay just a little bit of their money for the new undergraduates.

But should this not be a collective "duty" where the funding comes out of all the tax payers pot? Is that not the point of a welfair state?

Let's face it, this generation are gonna get srewed. they will probably end up payingfor uni, paying more tax, funding others pensions and when/if they get to that age, the "pensions crisis" will probably mean little to no pension as standard.

But at the question of "seriousness",k why not extend that downwards to college, school too?

I do not agree with that argument.

And then there are academic courses - learning for the sake of learning. That might suffer if the fees are so astronomical that people only go to uno to gain a specific qualificaiton for a specific role/employment. That will also then have knock on effects with less likelihood of developing new markets.

I see the whole concept as short term pain to get long term pain.

EDIT - fixed - replaced vocational with academic.

most people I knwo have gone to uni just to delay adulthood, maybe this will make unis full of more serious-minded people in the future (then again I'm eligible for all grants and bursarys and help etc, so it doesn't affect me and it's easy for me to shout about it from my pedestal).

Totally off topic, but I assume you are only eligible for them because you currently have no current ungraduate degree?

You wrote:
Totally off topic, but I assume you are only eligible for them because you currently have no current ungraduate degree?

No. Because I'm over 21 they don't look at my parent's earnings, they look at mine. Which are zilch.

I'll be eligible for all sorts of benefits when I get back to Britain.

Buit that's always for your first degree, no? I thought if you go in for a second course or as amature student, you have to pay up anyway?

You wrote:
Buit that's always for your first degree, no? I thought if you go in for a second course or as amature student, you have to pay up anyway?

not as a mature student, but for a post-graduate, yeah. Unless you're disabled.

You wrote:

The Lamp wrote:

But should this not be a collective "duty" where the funding comes out of all the tax payers pot? Is that not the point of a welfair state?

Let's face it, this generation are gonna get srewed. they will probably end up payingfor uni, paying more tax, funding others pensions and when/if they get to that age, the "pensions crisis" will probably mean little to no pension as standard.

Or the graduates and non-graduates (on the same income) can pay the same amount of tax, but the crucial difference can be that the graduate is contibuting more to HE, whereas the non-graduate is contributing slightly more to FE and below.

Hajjar, can you define the really poor who aren't on benefits? Does it include those that get EMA? Don't you think there is a danger of forgetting the people who aren't rich enough to be well off but at the same time not poor enough to get government allowances? Shouldn't they get state help?