How do you know that you love the prophet (saw)?

That's the question?

Anyone can say it, but how do you know its true?

How do you feel it? What if you don't?

IMO, its in our nature to imitate or resemble as closely as possibly the person whom we love or admire. You do whatever it takes to make them happy or proud of you. So if you're looking for proof, you need only look in the mirror and think: could i face my rasool (pbuh) the way i am?

And if you dont see it, then this is simply because you've been imitating the vices of others.

PS: Cant believe no ones replied to this thread yet. Wake up people.

Back in BLACK

wednesday wrote:
Love is DIFFERENT to Admiration. I'll repeat.

Loving something/one is different to admiring something/one.

Yet you still didnt try and answer his question?

curious

Back in BLACK

wednesday wrote:
Seraphim wrote:
wednesday wrote:
Love is DIFFERENT to Admiration. I'll repeat.

Loving something/one is different to admiring something/one.

Yet you still didnt try and answer his question?

curious

I will get to it, just trying to see HOW I should answer it without making a fool of myself.

Insha'Allah

Sure sure.

:roll:

Back in BLACK

I am quite sure that there is a verse in the qur'an saying that obedience to the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) is the same as obedience to Allah (swt), so it would be really dificult to over do the praise of the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) (as long as it stays within the limits of creation and does not give powers other than those that Allah (swt) has given).

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I read the forum topic and I was dumbfounded. I thought it was obvious that you had to love the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) so I've never thought about it before.

In real life there are a few people, I am in awe of. But I realized , that I am only in awe of them over some little aspect of their personality. But when I think about the Prophet (saw), I realized that all the aspects put together from all the people that I admire are integrated in the Prophet (saw).

And I think thats why I am genuinely in awe of the Prophet (saw). He was honest, he had time and patience for people. And then sometimes you read something about the Prophet(saw) that makes you think...he's just a Human Being. Like when he cries or laughs. Or what he thought. And look at his achievements. I think if everyone tried to take something from the Prophet (saw)'s life it would be useful in someway.

You wrote:
I am quite sure that there is a verse in the qur'an saying that obedience to the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) is the same as obedience to Allah (swt), so it would be really dificult to over do the praise of the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) (as long as it stays within the limits of creation and does not give powers other than those that Allah (swt) has given).

Hassan bin Thabit (ra) – ‘I am not praising Muhammad Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) by my own mouth because there is no praise beyond the praise of Allah (swt) and there are no words beyond the words of Allah (swt) in praise of the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) and no human being knows the rank of the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) and the deep respect he deserves better than Allah (swt).

it is IMPOSSIBLE to over praise the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) or love him more than Allah (swt). if you love the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) you love Allah (swt). if Allah (swt) praises the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) then how can we, human beings praise the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) enough?!!!!! our praise is nothing compared to Allah's. only Allah (swt) knows the rank of the prophet (saw).

the rank of the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) has been raised in the quran as well. when someone praises and sings the naat of nabi (saw), sends durood and salaam etc one should never ever think that they are doing too much and not enough praise of Allah (swt) because the praise of Muhammad Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) IS the praise of Allah (swt).

i think it was hasan al basri (rh) who said this, Allah is Allah and nabi Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) is rasul, everything else is same. subhan'Allah!

Salam

When a man loves a woman, or when a woman loves a man, they just know it.

They dont need to be told they are in love.

You dont have to be Einstein to know that you are in love.

When you love God you will know it.

Omrow

erm... the topic is NOT about loving God.

@ Noor - It may be hard, but it is still possible to over-praise the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) - it is possible to go into shirk territory as the Christians have gone into with Prophet Isa (as).

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

well that wouldn't be praising then.

praising and committing shirk are two different things.

It is possible to do EVERYTHING too much.

There is a hadith in which the Prophet(saw) observed a man who spent all his waking hours inside the mosque, praying/doing dhikr etc. He asked someone how the man ate. The reply was that the man's brother bought him food. The Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) said, "that man's brother is better than him."

BUT... for most of us (I imagine) the more likely danger is that we don't praise the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) ENOUGH. If we try hard to praise him Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) more than we do at the moment, we are not likely to overstep the mark of perfection and go into the realm of over-praising him. Like I say it's not likely, but that doesn't mean its not (in theory) impossible.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

it is impossible to praise the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) enough because we don't know his Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) rank. it is possible to commit shirk. two different issues.

Allah (swt) has only one sunnah and that is praising the prophet (saw). now if Allah (swt) praises the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) then how can we, bashr praise the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) enough or to the same extent? what, is our praise at the same degree as the praise of Allah (swt)?!

I think the two arguments being put forward are parallel.

Its not about degrees, but the type of "praise".

On anoth

it is impossible to praise the prophet Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him enough because we don't know his Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) rank.

erm... sounds contradictory.

Taking a lay person example.

Person A works as doorman for company A.
Person B does not know what the persons job is and goes "Person A is great. Look at how he built and runs Company A. It shows that he has a master class in business, and is savvy blah de blah."

Person B did not know the status of person A and still managed to over praise.

As for what the status of the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) is, Allah A'lam. He (swt) can give the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) whatever he wants to give him and our words/thoughts are not something that can limit that in any way shape or form. At the same time it is possible for people to take things too far. otherwise there would not have been the following hadith:

The Prophet (SAAW) said (what means): "Do not overpraise me as the Christians overpraised the son of Mary (i.e. 'Isa AS). I am His slave, so say: Allah's slave and Messenger." [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

It'sd not easy to do, but its possible. All you have to do is praise the gifts that Allah (swt) has given and say that they are not from Allah (swt) but from himself. Ash hadu An Laa ilaaha ilallah wa ashadu anna muhammad abduho wa rasuluh.

If you saw someone drowning in a lake but didn't save them because you were too busy making salawat (not very likely, I know, but I mean in theory) wouldn't that be over-praising?

Don't just do something! Stand there.

You could do both at the same time, no?

Ya'qub wrote:
If you saw someone drowning in a lake but didn't save them because you were too busy making salawat (not very likely, I know, but I mean in theory) wouldn't that be over-praising?

Nope, ultimately all of life and death is in HIS hands anyway.

Alternatively if you broke salawat to go save that guy then this is also imo a form praising Allah (swt).

Back in BLACK

You wrote:
That's the question?

Anyone can say it, but how do you know its true?

How do you feel it? What if you don't?

You really want to meet him... you feel sad that you weren't able to meet him in this life... you start following his sunnah... you regularly send salawat onto him... after doing something you think whether Allah (swt) and His messenger are happy with you... this is something Umar (ra) used to think about...

The sahabah (ra) used to do things which the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) did even though they weren't sunna...

I think that if we want to assess our love for the Peophet (SAW)we have to compare ourselves to his lovers, and where best to look but the hadith of the Prophet (saw)for the example of the sahaba and the lives of the pious/auliya. The criteria for the love of the Prophet (SAW) are summarised in the following two hadith, and i think that if you fit this criteria you are a TRUE lover of the Prophet (SAW).

"None of you becomes a believer until I am dearer to him than his children, his parents his life, his wealth, his family and all mankind." (as reported by Bukhari and Muslim)

Narrated 'Abd Allah bin Hisham: 'We were with the Prophet
(SAW) and he was holding the hand of 'Umar ibnu Al-Khattab
(RA). 'Umar said to him, "O Allah's Messenger (SAW)!
You are dearer to me than everything except my ownself."
Allah's Messenger (SAW) said: "No, by Him in Whose Hand my
soul is, (you will not have complete Faith) untill I am
dearer to you than your ownself." Then 'Umar (RA) said:
"Now, by Allah, you are dearer to me than my
ownself." He (SAW) then said: "Now, O 'Umar, (you are
a true believer)."

i also believe that love for the Prophet (SAW) is not only a matter of good action and following the sunnah of the Prophet (SAW), because love is a feeling of the heart and unless you feel it within there is no point praising the Prophet (SAW) and doing good action. there is a hadith narrated the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) asked a companion 'what have you prepared for the day of judgement?' he replied 'i have not prepared much, i dont have excessive prayers or fasts, i dont pay excessive charity or do many nafl actions, however i love Allah and his Messenger with all my heart' the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) replied 'then you will be with those that you love on the day of judgement'. however having said that it is imporatant to reinforce love with action, only then does the love mature (become kaamil). those of you who understand Urdu, i recommend the lecture 'muhabat-e-rasool' by Shaykh-ul-Islam Prof Dr Tahir-ul-Qadri.

'To cure sometimes, to relieve often, to comfort always'

Alexis Carrel (French Surgeon)

How do you know when you love the Holy Prophet (SAW)?

Its when every aspect of your life, the way you walk/talk/behave etc reflects the personality of the Holy Prophet (SAW). Its when you constantly talk about any aspect of the Holy Prophet (SAW) be it his beauty, his manners, his way of speaking to others, his generosity, anything because you know that in ANY aspect there is a lesson to learn because He (SAW) is perfection!

Its when you hear his praise and you shed tears, when u hear what He (SAW) went through for us His Ummah and never gave up on us and u weep. It’s when you think what little if anything you have done to please him. You think how u will face him (SAW) on the day of judgement because you will be ashamed as u didn’t help his Deen.

You read countless greetings and salutations upon the Holy Prophet (SAW) in hope that you will be able to see the blessed face of the Holy Prophet (SAW).

Its when everything revolves around the Holy Prophet (SAW), a subject can be about anything but you have a way of bringing it back to the topic of the Beloved Holy Prophet (SAW). It’s when you take up any opportunity which is to help the Deen of the Holy Prophet (SAW) and you know this will please the Holy Prophet (SAW). But even then you feel this love isn’t enough.

No one can love the Holy Prophet (SAW) enough nor can we do enough for Islam, we have so much to thank the Holy Prophet (SAW) for. He (SAW) hasn’t forgotten us nor will he and he will be the one who will be with us on the day of judgement, helping us pass every test so we can be guaranteed a place in heaven!

Great Q, which does actually require me to think even though I do agree with Sephy/MB/Angel and the obviously the ahadith that were posted.

It's making me think mainly because of when I think of the different levels of love.

Like can you say that since that hadith talks about no one being a true believer that some people who try to follow the Sunnah but haven't reached the point of actually loving Allah(swt) and the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) more than everything else, still love to a certain extent?

So basically just because you don't do all of those things doens't mean you don't love. But if you do love the Prophet (SAW) even to a certain extent it would be shown through your actions, the way you live etc etc because you would try to change your life to mimic the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) as you know that would make Him (SAW) happy and would bring you closer to Him (Saw).

(My reply isn't really that thought out)

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi