Where are the Great British Muslim Personalities?

Ya'qub wrote in :

I remember Suhaib Webb from California being one of them; he is really 'down with the kids' but not in a patronising way. Also some American shiekh who knew Malcolm X... TBH I think the American sheikhs are, on the whole, a whole level ahead/above their British counterparts in terms of showing how Islam is relevant to us on a day-to-day basis, and not being apologetic about what Islam teaches or the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) taught.

Discuss.

Could it simply be that their accent seems more "exotic"?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
Could it simply be that their accent seems more "exotic"?

I AGREE!!!!

its cos we like the american accent thats y we think theyre 'better'
also
theyre publicisewd moer; tv shows youtube etc

I personally like sheikh ibrahim ossa (something..!)
hes so cool!
tariq ramadhan also
although hes not technically british

Its exotic to us as its not the normal uk speak. Think of it how if they want someone to sound intelligent in Hollywood, they make sure the accent is "British".

As for their pronunciation being better, I disagree. English if from the English and that should be known the default pronunciation.

Are there also more converts to Islam (as a percentage) in the US compared to the UK?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

i dont think i know any britsih ones ... or i cant think of them atm :S

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Assalamu alaikum,

I can only think of a few and Shk. Riyad Ul Haq has kind of gone international now, but he is a very eloquent speaker with authority to speak on Ahadith, so he's one of my top British speakers-listen today if you've never heard of him.

Since Shk Riyad moved from Birmingham, a new guy seems to have taken over in popularity Shk Zahir Mahmood, never heard him but i know some brothers who have, say he's very good. Runs as-suffa org.

Shk Ahmad Ali (Bradford) I don't know if he's very active now, but he has many lectures aimed at the youth. A lot of the younger generation seem to relate to him.

Shk Murtaza Khan- One i just heard recently. Young man, very good for the youth.

Abu Muntasir (Ipswich)- don't know what his title is if any, but he's involved with dawah projects mainly "Jimas", and interfaith projects. His talks are inspiring and he speaks in a kind gentle manner, young and old will like him.

Apart from the Shk Riyad, many of my favourite speakers are foreign,

Shk Anwar Al Awlaki is my fave speaker of all time, to date. He's charismatic, and I love the depth he goes to on certain subjects. i.e "The lives of the prophets" a must have DVD collection for every Muslim home.

Sheikh Salim Al Amry- I heard him in Jimas first time and never has a speaker made me shed tears this coming from a gal who didn't cry on her wedding day.

Shk Hamza Yusuf One of the first I heard when i started practicing, still enjoy listening to him now.

Shk.Muhammad Al Shareef- heard him a few times at Jimas conference, he's a close fave. Well spoken, inspiring, beautiful recitation. Currently hearing his series on Fiqh Ad Dawah.. very interesting.

Shk Kamal Al Makki-heard recently, good for youth, inspiring.

Shk.Sulaiman Moola- more old school but some lectures aimed at youth. if you can get past mix of south African/Indopak accent then he's cool.

just a few...

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

great britsh muslim personalities.... ermmm...lets see...

u dont have to be a scholar to be a great british muslim perosnality so....

we have 'You' Biggrin
but seriously speaking:

salma yaqub
fareena alam
ruqayyah w maqsood
abdul hakim murad
khaleel muhammad
shaam brothers
ashiq-e-rasool brothers
milad raza qadri
shaykh salim ghisa
JEFF MIRZA
Lord Nazir
Abdul Bari Etwan, Editor of AlQuds, he looks like Inspector Clusoe
Asghar Bukhari, MPAC
Amir Khan
Yusuf Islam
Yvonne Ridley

i can go on...but the above is just a few names who we can proudly say are british muslim personalities

I think Ed got mixed up with what the topic was really about. He just mentioned famous Muslims.

Jeff Mirza, Ed? REALLY?? Why? Please tell we why you would think that!

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Lord Nazir is also currently in prison...

and then the nasheed groups...

Even the others, would I want to listen to them? (I can't remember having listened to Shaykh Salim, but I imagine it to be boring...)

Ya'qub wrote:
I think Ed got mixed up with what the topic was really about. He just mentioned famous Muslims.

Jeff Mirza, Ed? REALLY?? Why? Please tell we why you would think that!

do you have to be a scholar to have a personality!
is this topic about british muslim scholars!!!! IS T ?IS IT?
no its about Muslim personalities....and Jeff Mirza is a very funny guy with a great personality!!!! he gets non Muslims to listen to him about Islam through his comedy.

So is this topic about naming scholars who can speak English cos that swhat Yaqub probably thinks it is.

And nasheed artists are british muslim swith GREAT personality who inspire people, motivate ppl etc.

So am I right or have i got this topic 'mixed up' as my dear bro Yaqub puts it. Lol

Noor wrote:
Sajid Iqbal

LOL

well i might be british and muslim and ive got a wierd persoanlity but being A 'GREAT' BRITISH MUSLIM PERSONALITY... maybe not... even though my son thinks i'm great lol

Biggrin

TheRevivalEditor wrote:
So is this topic about naming scholars who can speak English cos that swhat Yaqub probably thinks it is.

To be fair, that is where the topic started off - a discussion of "hip" scholars and motivational speakers, but then I broadened the topic out.

As for the lists so far, they seem to be lacking in something. Oomph.

Ok, going on the topic of Jeff Mirza... what's so good about him? Why have I never heard of him? What are the chances that he will not make me cringe?

TheRevivalEditor wrote:
Noor wrote:
Sajid Iqbal

LOL

well i might be british and muslim and ive got a wierd persoanlity but being A 'GREAT' BRITISH MUSLIM PERSONALITY... maybe not... even though my son thinks i'm great lol

Biggrin

masha'Allah

You wrote:

Ok, going on the topic of Jeff Mirza... what's so good about him? Why have I never heard of him? What are the chances that he will not make me cringe?

He's a standup comic who 'performed' at a charity dinner I went to.

His act is nothing to do with the fact that he's a Muslim (which I don't specifically hold against him, it's just the whole 'motivaton of being a practising Muslim within a western conext' thing means he doesn't fit), he just reuses mother-in-law jokes from the 1970s! He only gets work because he can 'perform' at Muslim events cos he won't swear.

All-in-all, a big :roll:

TheRevivalEditor wrote:
So am I right or have i got this topic 'mixed up' as my dear bro Yaqub puts it.

The original quote that this topic is based on is:

You wrote:
Ya'qub wrote in :

I remember Suhaib Webb from California being one of them; he is really 'down with the kids' but not in a patronising way. Also some American shiekh who knew Malcolm X... TBH I think the American sheikhs are, on the whole, a whole level ahead/above their British counterparts in terms of showing how Islam is relevant to us on a day-to-day basis, and not being apologetic about what Islam teaches or the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) taught.

Discuss.

So don't blame me for admin's lack of proper-topic-naming.

I think everyone is aware there are lots of famous British Muslims. Its the inspirational scholars who have an understanding of western culture which I'm more worried about.

You would have realised this if you atually read the first post in this topic, rather than just start listing famous people in a girly-fluster.

Blum 3 !