Designer Babies.

Designer baby row over US clinic

A US clinic has sparked controversy by offering would-be parents the chance to select traits like the eye and hair colour of their offspring.

The LA Fertility Institutes run by Dr Jeff Steinberg, a pioneer of IVF in the 1970s, expects a trait-selected baby to be born next year.

His clinic also offers sex selection...

Read more @

Reminds me of a movie called "Gattaca".

Ohhh Yhhh We Learned That In School Last Year The Parents Get To Choose How The Baby Looks. Cool. But Wrong.

wednesday wrote:
This is SO pathetic honestly, why don't they just go back to playing with cubs and lambs or puppies? Why Human babies? Honestly, sometimes, Humans spoil themselves with the amount of aqal and imagination they might have.

This is simply Stupid and outrageous.

It was the next logical step ofcourse. Why were they playing around with cubs and lambs in the first place. They always intended for this to "benefit" mankind in the end.

Back in BLACK

wednesday wrote:
Seraphim wrote:
wednesday wrote:
This is SO pathetic honestly, why don't they just go back to playing with cubs and lambs or puppies? Why Human babies? Honestly, sometimes, Humans spoil themselves with the amount of aqal and imagination they might have.

This is simply Stupid and outrageous.

It was the next logical step ofcourse. Why were they playing around with cubs and lambs in the first place. They always intended for this to "benefit" mankind in the end.

And they need to be taught appropriate words from the dictionery.

"benefit" it's more like "play-god" ... what ever happend to traditional dolls and teddies?

I think in their dictionary benefit means progress. They see a way of artificially improving a human and they call it progress. Didnt alot of those cloned sheep etc eventually die from some disease?

Back in BLACK

Don't all non-cloned sheep also die?

I was looking at the opposite angle - what if there are not any real side effects? What then?

Have you seen Gattaca?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
Don't all non-cloned sheep also die?

I meant prematurely. They all died of some disease or something. Showing that the cloning technology resulted in a terminal defect. That eventually resulted in death.

Back in BLACK

Practice makes perfect. I am sure they will/have already worked out the major kinks in the system.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
Practice makes perfect. I am sure they will/have already worked out the major kinks in the system.

Perhaps but no good will come of it.

Back in BLACK

You wrote:

Have you seen Gattaca?

The one with Uma Thurman and Jude Law in it?

Back in BLACK

wednesday wrote:
No man I've not seen Gattaca. Jeez, what's so good about it?

Seems perfect for this topic. its about a near future world where designer babies are the norm. Where risk of disease, defect and even gender can be controlled before birth. Where top level jobs would not be given to people who are more at risk from certain ailments etc.

Good film. Very topical.

There would always be randomness. Just the risks could potentially be mitigated.

Or some risks could be mitigated with the risk of adding more worse risks of other things.

Designer Babies.

This is such a big topic.

i read the title as designer bengalis.

Seraphim wrote:
You wrote:

Have you seen Gattaca?

The one with Uma Thurman and Jude Law in it?

Yes.

Noor wrote:
i read the title as designer bengalis.

Lol

Jamiroquai from 1995 (ish)

"And now every mother,
Can choose the colour,
Of her child, that's not nature's way,
But that's what they said yesterday,
There's nothing left to pray."

WOW!! I just remembered that song, I'm off to listen to my iPod!

Don't just do something! Stand there.

bah-humbug, thats just virtual insanity.

Back in BLACK

Seraphim wrote:
They see a way of artificially improving a human and they call it progress. Didnt alot of those cloned sheep etc eventually die from some disease?

Is that really how scientists see the idea of choosing traits for a child before he/she is born? How is that improving really? Choosing Blue eyes for a child instead of Brown or black hair instead of blonde? What's the benefit? apart from looking good.

Dr Steinberg said: "I would not say this is a dangerous road. It's an uncharted road."

He said the capability to offer such services had been around for years, but had been ignored by the medical community.

"It's time for everyone to pull their heads out of the sand."

* an uncharted road. an unknown road. theres the curiosity side to this. a reason for them to try it out. what other benefits are there? Doesnt this whole idea go against the 'survival of the fittest' theory? the disadvantages outweigh the benefits.
* ignored by the medical community. Is it right to dispose of a gene that holds a disease that causes disability to a person? that being the only thing that is changed?

But Dr Gillian Lockwood, a UK fertility expert and member of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists' ethics committee, questioned whether is was morally right to be using the science in this way.

"If it gets to the point where we can decide which gene or combination of genes are responsible for blue eyes or blonde hair, what are you going to do with all those other embryos that turn out like me to be ginger with green eyes?"

I like her.

I thinks it's a cool idea. I know alot u girls on this website wouldn't want an ugly baby and if ur from a large asin communities well then u know women talk.

*dirol*''Biggy'*dirol*

big bro wrote:
I thinks it's a cool idea. I know alot u girls on this website wouldn't want an ugly baby and if ur from a large asin communities well then u know women talk.

Lol

Im sorry..but what??
that is not a reason enough.

big bro wrote:

so
if u choose ur own designer baby
ur baby's automatically gonna be good looking as opposed to if u created it the natural way?
ooookkkk....

anyhoo
can u imagine what desis would do with this?
they'd choose for their baby to have blue/gren eyes, light skin and PROB a boy if they already haven't got one

down with designer babies!

Ive got this image in my head where everyone gonna walk around looking pretty much exactly the same. Its gonna be like 'Village of the Damned' all over again.

Back in BLACK

I saw the front cover of a women's magazine with the headline:

"REAL LIFE STORIES: My Ugly Baby Revealed My Plastic Surgery Shame".

Don't just do something! Stand there.