Texting death crash peer jailed

Texting death crash peer jailed

A Labour peer who sent and received text messages minutes being he was involved in a fatal crash on the M1 has been jailed for 12 weeks.

Lord Ahmed was driving his Jaguar when he collided with a car stopped in the outside lane of the motorway on Christmas Day 2007.

The driver of the vehicle, Martyn Gombar, 28, was killed.

Lord Ahmed, 51, of Rotherham, was sentenced at Sheffield Crown Court. He had admitted driving dangerously.

Mr Gombar was Slovakian but was living in Leigh, Greater Manchester, at the time of his death.

Surprised at the short length of the sentence (and the fact that he got one too).

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Isn't he meant to be a role model?

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

Do you believe in role models?

He is a peer. No idea what that makes his job really.

But no, I do not think he should be seen as a "role model".

No one should be a role model. I see it like wearing a straight jacket, not being allowed to live for yourself.

At the same time, managing to text while in the fast lane of a motorway... I wonder how he managed that?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I can't believe he was able to text while driving that fast.

This sentencing seems a bit weird because it's supposedly just for texting while driving, hence dangerous driving and not at all got to do with the crash. It has been stressed he was not responsible for the other drivers death, but all the details haven't been given, probably so not to make things any more difficult for the other drivers family. I think if two people hadn't already clipped the car, maybe he would have been given a harsher sentence and partly blamed for the other drivers death.

I don't think actually 12 weeks in prison is that harsh a sentence for texting while driving on the motorway, but compared to the sentencing for other much more serious crimes it is quite OTT - maybe a fine plus a ban would have been more 'fair'. I think he's definitely being used as a scapegoat which is unfortunate for him. And of course it is really sad that a life was lost.

Salam

The "lord" is a dick.

How could he be so reckless with people's lives!!

What a knob.

Omrow

Texting peer freed after appeal

A Labour peer who was jailed for 12 weeks for sending and receiving text messages while driving on the M1 has been released by the Court of Appeal.

Lord Ahmed, 51, was involved in a fatal crash minutes after sending the messages on Christmas Day 2007.

He hit a stationary car in the outside lane of the motorway, killing Martyn Gombar, 28.

He was jailed after admitting dangerous driving last month. He has been freed after serving 15 days of his sentence.