71 Year old Pensioner fined for skating.

A man has been found guilty of dangerous skating after he was filmed rollerblading down the main street of Southport.

Geoff Dornan, 71, told reporters his health had suffered since his skates were confiscated.

A row erupted between Mr Dornan and a local resident who claimed he was nearly knocked over by the skating pensioner.

Links with video:

and .

I think the complainant was plain jealous. I would be - I can't skate and I am slightly younger!

"slightly younger" Lol oh whatever! Blum 3

Re. the actual pensioner :), he is really good! The fine and court fees seem ludicrous, but he is going to appeal. He is actually breaking the rules they have in the town centre so fair dues but still it is very very harsh.

I think good on him but a couple of other sites have commented on his "attitude" and him saying it's only because fellow OAP's are jealous, which they probably are, but they also hinted at him being a bit attention seeking. And in that case I'm sure he has a local park he can go to.

Also if that was a teenager then I'm sure people would definitely complain about it being dangerous and an annoyance to the elderly. He is really good and fast so I can imagine that it could be a bit intimidating for (other, not so agile) elderly people about. If he wasn't 71 he wouldn't get as much support I think.

I like it when kids be kids. Also when adults be kids - but that can annoy depending on the situation.

If he was roller blading in an out of the way place, I would be worried about him falling and hurting himself.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

wednesday wrote:
But I guess he was fined so that he doesn't get hurt the next time he tries skating... It's care all the way. Cool stuff.

It don't really work like that does it?

If he loses the appeal, total charges of over £2,100 is a bit much IMO.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Lol

I agree with Wednesday...71 and still skating! Great!

pathetic that he was fined. Most youngsters would get away with it. How often do you see groups of lads causing trouble on the streets. Harassing older ppl, damaging property, and very few ppl report them why?..because they are afraid of these youngsters.

This dude was not a danger to anyone, i agree with him other OAPs are simply jealous that he has the strength and skill to do this, whilst they perhaps can only brag about a night of bingo.

This is discrimination against older people, nanny state gone mad!

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

Hajjar wrote:

This dude was not a danger to anyone, i agree with him other OAPs are simply jealous that he has the strength and skill to do this, whilst they perhaps can only brag about a night of bingo.

This is discrimination against older people, nanny state gone mad!

And that's not discrimination against older people?

Don't just do something! Stand there.

no its a rant, its called seeing the lighter side of things. I think society is too PC these days. Come off it don't the police have better things to do than arresting an OAP for skating? A warning would have been enough.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

Old Age Pensioner.

Or in law: Offences Against the Persons Act= OAP Act

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

Hajjar wrote:
no its a rant, its called seeing the lighter side of things.

Nope, it's called hypocrisy.

Mild, but still real, hypocrisy.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy teasing old people as much as the next guy, but the fact that you first complained about discriminating against them before teasing them yourself is just silly.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

I was defending this guy from other elderly ppl bashing him for skating, something "usually" associated with younger ppl. Bingo, long walks, tea shop are stereotypes, and sadly stereotypes are not born out of thin air, to some extent they are true, hence the reference. You can call me a hypocrite if you like I never claimed to be perfect.

This guy was on the radio the other day and having being offered a taxi to get to the studio he declined saying he's skate there instead. Smile He said that since taking up skating he used his care 85% less so argued it was good for the environment though. Smile

Loads of ppl from southport rung in though saying they'd seen him around and thought he skated in too busy places causing a potential hazard. A person rung in saying that he often shot round corners in his skates surprising people walking on the other side. Only a couple seemed to not mind, all others thought he should use the skating park they had. He argued he liked to skate to the music of the buskers in the centre which I thought was erm an excuse.

He said he'd be using his "life savings and probably have to remortgage the house" to pay the fine... hhmmmm... maybe the publicity will help with the money situation.