Anti-terror code 'would alienate most Muslims'

The government is considering plans that would lead to thousands more British Muslims being branded as extremists, the Guardian has learned. The proposals are in a counterterrorism strategy which ministers and security officials are drawing up that is due to be unveiled next month.

Some say the plans would see views held by most Muslims in Britain being classed by the government as extreme.

According to a draft of the strategy, Contest 2 as it is known in Whitehall, people would be considered as extremists if:

• They advocate a caliphate, a pan-Islamic state encompassing many countries.
  • They promote Sharia law.
  • They believe in jihad, or armed resistance, anywhere in the world. This would include armed resistance by Palestinians against the Israeli military.
  • They argue that Islam bans homosexuality and that it is a sin against Allah.
  • They fail to condemn the killing of British soldiers in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Contest 2 would widen the definition of extremists to those who hold views that clash with what the government defines as shared British values. Those who advocate the wider definition say hardline Islamist interpretation of the Qur'an leads to views that are the root cause of the terrorism threat Britain faces. But opponents say the strategy would brand the vast majority of British Muslims as extremists and alienate them even further...

Read more @

I guess we are all extremists.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

accoring to the government practically all muslims are "terrorist" then.
where will we all be imprisoned?

SMILE! its charity Wink

and then one day when the air is still and night has fallen, they will come for you. It’s only then you realise while you were busy talking about organising committees, the extermination has already begun.

Back in BLACK

Labour's cricket test for British Muslims

So, almost 20 years after Norman Tebbit devised his famous for immigrants to the UK, we learn that the Labour government is seriously discussing how to set up its own modern version for British Muslims.

According to a report in yesterday's edition of the Guardian the government – as part of its Contest 2 counter-terrorism strategy – is considering proposals that would classify British Muslims as being extremists if:

• They advocate a caliphate, a pan-Islamic state encompassing many countries.
  • They promote sharia law.
  • They believe in jihad, or armed resistance, anywhere in the world. This would include armed resistance by Palestinians against the Israeli military.
  • They argue that Islam bans homosexuality and that it is a sin against Allah.
  • They fail to condemn the killing of British soldiers in Iraq or Afghanistan.

As Richard Seymour wryly :

This raises some interesting questions: how observant would you have to be with the condemnations? Would it be adequate to issue a single generic condemnation, or would it need to be a daily ritual? Perhaps it is an oath to take before meals - but then, how would you keep your food down?

Read more @ .

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Well, they're not calling us all extremists. Not yet anyway.

At the moment the government is focusing on preventing violent extremism. If you are a Muslim but not violent and not extremist then you are OK. If you are Muslim, extremist and violent then you are a problem. If you are Muslim and extremist but not violent then the government has an issue with your politics but it is willing to talk to you, fund you and support you if it prevents you from being violent.

But this approach doesn't seem to be working and they're looking for alternatives - any alternative that doesn't involve having to address foreign policy.

The government will now stop talking to, funding and supporting non-violent extremists. That part is clear. Whether or not they will go the whole hog and publish a definition of what they consider to be an extremist Muslim I'm not sure about. Govs shouldn't be defining people's religious and political views for them.

What will most likely happen is that the gov will promote liberal, gov-friendly and pliant Muslims in the hope that this will defeat terrorism and extremism. But it won't work. Preaching to the converted won't help. And extremism will be with us for a little bit longer.

# They advocate a caliphate, a pan-Islamic state encompassing many countries.
# They promote sharia law.
# They believe in jihad, or armed resistance, anywhere in the world. This would include armed resistance by Palestinians against the Israeli military.
# They argue that Islam bans homosexuality and that it is a sin against Allah.

I dont think ANY Muslim would not nelieve in the above. So whoever is writing this stuff should actually speak to practising law abiding mainstream Muslims to get an understanding what Islam is, what extremism is and what the root causes are etc.

You wrote:

Anti-terror code 'would alienate most Muslims'

Some say the plans would see views held by most Muslims in Britain being classed by the government as extreme.

SubhanAllah I dont think that's anything new, this is has been the case for more than a while now.
The reality for a long time now has been that Muslims have been arrested simply for owning an A-Z of London, or carrying a tent. And it's true that with each new act or legislation they ARE widening the scope of what defines extremism. Not only that but these never-ending government plans very successfully fuel the climate of fear.

I think this piece of Info really hit me hard when I first came across it:
From 11 sept 2001 to March 2007 in regards to Terrorist acts:
-1,228 people were arrested from which ONLY 41 were convicted to date, others are said to be convicted of "other criminal offences". Whilst 669 were released with NO charge, and 114 still awaiting trial.
Source: Home Office

To us this may just seem like statistics but that statistic could easily be the bloke who lives down the street, or the sister we see daily on the bus or our old friend that went to the same school as us. The result of this statistic is that it damages whole communities, it separates one family from the rest of the Ummah, it psychologically scars adults and children and subjects them to violation within their own homes. It's more than just numbers it's tearing apart the Muslim Ummah.
It's scary to think that if up to now the law has with great ease targeted hundreds of innocent people for owning a map, then what is going to become of the Ummah now that they're directly attacking principles and values of our Dheen?

Looks like Jaqui Smith needs a sharp poke, didn't she learn from the 42 days Bill that people were peed off? I think this is alot less credible and the first step to dictatorship!

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

it's already happening. I've witnessed it, I'm even careful what I say in case some dimwit attempts to label me as a terrorist. For example we can't speak about jihad. It's as if physical jihad is not to be spoken about, it almost doesn't exist. If you are a muslim in west and admit physical jihad as well as spiritual jihad is a part of Islam you are looked at suspiciously, with contempt and perhaps even labeled a terrorist or terrorist lover. If you are a popular scholar and refer to this, you will be branded as inciting terror and they will watch you carefully so they can put you behind bars. Why because they want to let scholars who speak falsehood and a diluted form of Islam roam around feeding this to the youth. But those that speak truth behind bars.

I witness this on a regular basis. I've seen muslims deny physical jihad, it's all about the nafs. How can you deny something that Allah has ordained and our rasool Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) speaks about, and is well documented in sahih hadith? Nevermind that our prophets Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) life and those great sahabah (ra)that followed him was full of battles to establish the faith, and to protect muslim homeland. Today it's as if this concept is void and non existant because the west is telling us so.

Isn't denying an article of faith something that is not only very sinful but can take you out of Islam?

How can the uk gov for example say muslims are terrorists or breaking law if they admit their faith is against homosexuality, because the bible is against it aswell, so are many other faiths and non faith groups.

If these laws come into force I don't see how muslims will be able to live in the UK. We will have to deny parts of our faith, or move. Perhaps that's want?

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

Difference is that the guidance can be fought, argues against here.

Also, its not a legally binding document where anyone considered an extremist will be kicked out.

I personally think that Muslims are too embedded in society for there to be any future possibility of forcible expulsion.

Hajjar, the solution to the jihad problem is to not refer to it as jihad and just call it "SELF DEFENCE". Simple.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

What about offensive (rather than defensive) Jihad?

I hear that such a thing can be allowed as well.

You wrote:

Attacking someone because they're about to attack someone else? I think that's allowed.

The Lamp wrote:
You wrote:

Attacking someone because they're about to attack someone else? I think that's allowed.

Imam Shafi'i advocated Jihad to attack an oppressor even if he was oppressing someone else and had nothing to do with you. He based it upon the ayah from the Quran wher Allah SWT asks us what we are doing to help people who are being oppressed?

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

Salam

I think we must be the only ones in England.

Only our group does not want to see this caliphate thing in Britain.

We just love Britain as it is. Its wonderful. Its beautiful.

Why on earth would anyone want to see this great land of ours spoiled!!

Scruffy beards and smelly camels should remain in the deserts of Middle East!!

Omrow

No, there are many problems with Britain, and they should all be addressed.

Plus one.

Its a work in progress where people can change potentially it for better or for worse.

(or can they? Does politics really work?)

If it doesn't the there's nothing we can do.