Beards (and the veil)

What does everyone think of them?

I was just browsing another forum (I give a plea of temporary insanity. not.) and there was a topic on this where he original poster was pushing the line that beards were fardh.

Leaving aside the fiqh issue (because that would require a scholarly opinion and there are many different ones out there), what do you think of beards? WHat do you think of the focus on womens clothing when having a beard for a guy may (or may not) be just as important?

Good bad or ugly?

All sunnah is beautiful.... including the beard

MuslimBro wrote:

Lol the little beardo looks so innocent, its like hes saying "are you talking about me?"

erm. Are you saying there should be an equal focus on guys having a beard and women's clothing issue?
Is it really an issue, apart from people associating muslim men and beards with all sorts they read in the media.

MuslimBro wrote:

Yes it is, but as with most things, they can be twisted until they are the opposite of what they are supposed to be.

sbf wrote:
erm. Are you saying there should be an equal focus on guys having a beard and women's clothing issue?
Is it really an issue, apart from people associating muslim men and beards with all sorts they read in the media.

I am not saying - I am asking. is it of equal import? Should those "brothers" who go around preaching to the sisters to wear the hijab, cover their hair etc, first not practice their own side?

It's not only Muslims that have beards anyway. Look at the orthodox churches. Not only that, but it seems to be coming back into fashion lately after a few years of the smooth as a baby's bottom style.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

But I see wearing a hijab important. and theres a debate whether they are compulsory or not. Iv always thought wearing ahijab is compulsory.
But a beard, is that compulsory?
and why does having a beard for men seem like such a small issue in comparison to women wearing a hijab? I was just typing out that they shouldnt tell women to wear a hijab if they don't have a beard- but that seems a bit ridiculous.
orthodox churches?

You wrote:
I am not saying - I am asking. is it of equal import? Should those "brothers" who go around preaching to the sisters to wear the hijab, cover their hair etc, first not practice their own side?

Both beard and hijab should be implemented - the latter being fardh while the former has different opinions but nevertheless should be done.

But because the hijab is given the classification of an absolute fardh, the beard is seen as less important.

but "Hijab" is fardh for men and women. I did not mean Hijab in that sense.

I was more on the lever of hijab. Some say that the niqab is the way to go. others say that is not the way to go...

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

* why is Hijab written in quotation marks?
* what point are you trying to make with the Niqab comment?

Hijab was in quotes as it means to cover up the necessary areas. saying that Hijab is fardh is true.

But what most people use in every day lingo as "hijab" is the headscarf etc which I had thought was waajib rather than fardh... (being more of an implicit order rather than totallt explicit).

And the niqab was brought in because according to some people, that is the hijab.

Thanks for explaining.
I used to think of hijab = headscarf only.

You wrote:
Hijab was in quotes as it means to cover up the necessary areas.

I use the word awra.

You wrote:
But what most people use in every day lingo as "hijab" is the headscarf etc which I had thought was waajib rather than fardh... (being more of an implicit order rather than totallt explicit).

The hijab (headscarf) is fardh. The niqab is more subject to interpretations. According to the Hanafi madhab, the niqab is wajib in times of fitna.

Is it me, or is having a beard NOTHING to do with wearing a hijab/covering your awra?

Theonly similarity is that they are both used as an outward expression of belief/piety.

But the reasoning behind wearing hijab or growing a beard SHOULD be completely different.

Of course both should be done purely to please Allah (swt) but, for me, that's where the similarity ends.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

I sometimes have a little beard below my bottom lip, how's that?

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

The Lamp wrote:
I sometimes have a little beard below my bottom lip, how's that?

really??
I think that doesnt look too bad
but sometimes it can look...kinda weird

I'm not a big fan of beards
I guess beacuse I dont find it attrative on young men
depends what kind of beard as well really
I hate the goatees where the guy has done the adjoining bits really thin so it looks like its been drawn on
did that make sense??? = S

Also
yea theres not enough focus on how men dress
I see guys walking around with their jeans halfway doen their backsides showing their boxers! Yet noone wants to mention that
Modesty is for both sexes, not just women

1R4M wrote:
Also

I see guys walking around with their jeans halfway doen their backsides showing their boxers! Yet noone wants to mention that

i read in the newspaper ages ago, how they banned that in this country. cant remember.

hrm.. I had always assumed (been told?) that covering the hair was waajib because it was not explicitly stated in the qur'an... I was probably wrong (?).

As for Niqab, I remember hearing on one of the Let's Talk Shows a scholar saying that Niqab is not exclusive for women to wear. Historically "too beautiful" mean have worn it too and he quoted some examples, one of which was Prophet Yusuf (as).

You wrote:
As for Niqab, I remember hearing on one of the Let's Talk Shows a scholar saying that Niqab is not exclusive for women to wear. Historically "too beautiful" mean have worn it too and he quoted some examples, one of which was Prophet Yusuf (as).

Are you trying to say something Blum 3

keep yer hands off me!

You wrote:
keep yer hands off me!

lmao

Back in BLACK

1R4M wrote:
Also

Eurgh! i know whats all that about?!

and IMO teh guys who have the "stylish" kinda beards look ridiculous!

i dont know if having a beard is sunnah or fardh but i dont think its the same as hijab. hijab is more important because its about covering up, modesty, self respect etc. i see a beard as a way of showing your muslim identity. i dont really understand/know if theres more to it?

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

You wrote:
hrm.. I had always assumed (been told?) that covering the hair was waajib because it was not explicitly stated in the qur'an... I was probably wrong (?).

it was sheikh Ibrahim
and im pretty sure it was prophet musa as...?

They're both prophets. point stands.

Smile

You wrote:
They're both prophets. point stands.

Smile

lol
alright
I'll give you that one!

wednesday wrote:
I think some men *should* consider Niqab :neutral:

The problem I see with this is, some people will consider them to be women....

unless they wear boots or something with their niqab.

Tell them to not wear pink...

Or people could et all creative and wear masks?

V for Vendetta.

I think the beard looks really beautiful. It also makes men look more masculine.

I have told my hubby to keep one coz he looks gorgus:P but he doesnt want to and said he will when he feels right to do it, so I have stopped harrasing him.

It is Sunnah so it holds a lot of importance and we should implement the Sunnah where possible.

You wrote:

Can you confirm if this is true? Ive been informed that theres no substance to this.

The most handsome of men was prophet Yusuf (as) - and he had a beard Wink Was not easy for women to resist his hotness Wink

(is that adjective appropriate?)

May Allah shine sweet faith upon you this day and times beyond. May your heart be enriched with peace, and may your home be blessed always. Ameen.

Amal wrote:
You wrote:

Can you confirm if this is true? Ive been informed that theres no substance to this.

The most handsome of men was prophet Yusuf (as) - and he had a beard Wink Was not easy for women to resist his hotness Wink

hahahahahahaaha
I liked that!

Amal wrote:
You wrote:

I just heard it in that radio show for the first time. All Google brings up is from the BBC with an audio link and the following quote on that page:

I think the audio clip from that page is well worth a listen.

There is enough evidence that the Prophet himself covered his face ... when warriors were on horses and camels they covered their faces ... so we were missing a half of the story here when we focused too much on women, and by doing so we may have misunderstood even the meaning of women veiling.

Fadwa El Guindi, Distinguished Professor of Anthropology at the University of Qatar

Amal wrote:

I think so.

Pages