Teenager passes 23 A levels

Student Ali Nawaz-ish has passed 23 A levels in subjects including pure mathematics, travel and tourism, and sociology.

He got 21 A grades - a B and a C.

The 18-year-old, who is now studying Computer Science at Cambridge University, said that he used to be a 'below average' student.

Watch video @ BBC News

"I didn't use to be a very good student."

WOW
3 freaking A levels
this guy takes his future VERY seriously

proud_hijabi* wrote:
WOW
3 freaking A levels
this guy takes his future VERY seriously

:oops:
meant 23

WOW!!!!! Mashallah.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Wow! and mashallah. 4 (or 3 as Wednesday would say Lol was plenty for me. And bravo to wherever he studied for managing to fit all the exams into his timetable! At our college a few students had overlaps with just 3/4 A levels.

pfft know it all :roll:

lol

Back in BLACK

Seraphim wrote:
pfft know it all :roll:

lol

do i sense some jealousy Blum 3

SMILE! its charity Wink

Ali Moeen Nawazish, a charming 18-year-old from Pakistan with delicately accented English, is in the first year of his degree in computer science at the University of Cambridge.

To get there he undertook 23 A-levels in a single year, shattering the previous world record of a mere 13.

And his massive workload did not mean Mr Nawazish could barely scrape through his 24 chosen subjects. He received A grades in physics, biology, human biology, mathematics, pure mathematics, further mathematics, computing, marine sciences, applied information and communication technology, thinking skills, Urdu language, Urdu literature, general paper (international), geography, applied geography, sociology, psychology, business studies, travel and tourism, and critical thinking. He also secured A grades in two AS-levels, general studies and English language, which equal one A-level.

He did however suffer the indignity of obtaining only a B in chemistry and a C in general further mathematics.

"I feel bad about those two," he said. "Then again, I was feeling a bit tired when I took them. I'd been up since 8am and I think I finished that maths exam at 1am the next morning."

Mr Nawazish, who attended Roots High School in Rawalpindi, sat his first exams in June 2007, took three more in November 2007, and completed the rest in June last year. He would regularly work 10 hours a day, and only started revising for some of the exams three days in advance. "Most kids at my school did five or six, but I started off with seven," said Mr Nawazish, whose teachers advised against doing too many. "But I just wanted to see how far I could take it. So I moved on to 10, then 14, knowing that broke the record, then 16. Then I just thought 'Why don't I do a few more?' and I ended on 23. It was all easy, except for chemistry – that wasn't so fun."

Just two years ago, he was still considered an average student. "But then my computing O-level came back and it was a world record mark. Suddenly I thought should aim higher." Mr Nawazish, who speaks English, Urdu and Punjabi, describes himself as "a balanced rather than devout Muslim". His sister, Hisha Mehwish, 23; mother Nisar Malik, 48, and father Zaka Ullah, 51, are all doctors in Rawalpindi.

He says he has settled well into undergraduate life at Trinity Hall College, Cambridge. "I don't drink but that doesn't stop me going to cocktail parties," he said. "I'm also quite fond of going to the college bop or house parties or Cindy's [a local club]."

Academics were dumbfounded by his application. "When we first interviewed him we thought 'This can't be right'," said Dr Nick Bampos, senior tutor at Trinity Hall. "But not only is he really bright, he is really charming. He might be a computer scientist but he shatters all the stereotypes."

The demands of computer science require him to be in the laboratory by 9am every day, and he rarely leaves before 5pm. "That still feels pretty light compared to what I was doing before," he said. "I'm planning to do CompSci for three years and then train in medicine for four."

In what remains of his spare time, Mr Nawazish is setting up a website – itorch.com – through which he hopes to provide learning aids for children struggling with schoolwork. "People have been very supportive of me, and I wanted to give something back," he said. "It's not like I go around talking about my record, or sticking it in people's faces. It just got out somehow. The last thing I'd want is for people to be intimidated. I mean, look at me."

Jay K wrote:
Oh great...........once my folks here about him there gonna have a bigger moan at me on why I'm not doing better and how come he passed 23 a-levels and got so many As and how I only passed 4 and them grades weren't brilliant by Asian standards either............

This guy now has a target on his back! Blum 3

Lol

s.b.f wrote:
He might be a computer scientist but he shatters all the stereotypes."

My fiancée is studying computer science. I resent that statement!

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Yeah but he shatters the stereotypes, that's a good thing.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

Which stereotypes does he shatter?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
Which stereotypes does he shatter?

Well it said he's 'bright, but he's really charming', so I guess that suggests that computer scientists are usually known for being 'bright, but not very charming,' or perhaps 'not very bright but in a charming way.' TBH I think my fiancée is in the latter category (but don't tell her I said that).

Ya'qub wrote:
TBH I think my fiancée is in the latter category (but don't tell her I said that).

Lol im gna tell her...

JOKE calm down.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Boy, 8, sets A-level maths record

A boy from Hampshire is thought be the youngest person to pass maths A-level with an A grade.

Zohaib Ahmed from Chandler's Ford sat the A-level exam when he was eight. He was nine when the result came through.

He beat the record held by Hong Kong prodigy March Boedihardjo who was nine years and three months old when he sat exams to get an A in maths in 2007.

Zohaib's 11-year-old brother Wajih, scored 96% in his further maths A-level examination.

Zohaib, who goes to Knightwood Primary School with his brother, said he was really happy at breaking the record after scoring 90% in his A-level.

read more @

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

yay! Go Zohaib Ahmed! And he beat the record!

You wrote:

A boy from Hampshire is thought be the youngest person to pass maths A-level with an A grade.

Zohaib Ahmed from Chandler's Ford sat the A-level exam when he was eight. He was nine when the result came through.

He beat the record held by Hong Kong prodigy March Boedihardjo who was nine years and three months old when he sat exams to get an A in maths in 2007.

Zohaib's 11-year-old brother Wajih, scored 96% in his further maths A-level examination.

Zohaib, who goes to Knightwood Primary School with his brother, said he was really happy at breaking the record after scoring 90% in his A-level.

read more @

:shock: WOW these streotypical clever asians are making me feel left out Fool lol
Mashallah to them! Inshallah they will go on to suceed more! Smile

Sighan wrote:
You wrote:

read more @

:shock: WOW these streotypical clever asians are making me feel left out Fool lol
Mashallah to them! Inshallah they will go on to suceed more! Smile

How do you know he's Asian?

The BBC News page has a video, so it can be assumed from there.

You wrote:
The BBC News page has a video, so it can be assumed from there.

Oh, the video doesn't work for me.